eldfan is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams' Laurinaitis is always looking for ways to improve

St. Louis Rams' Laurinaitis is always looking for ways to improve
    BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/24/2009

At his current pace, James Laurinaitis would finish his rookie season with 192 tackles one short of the Rams record established by fellow middle linebacker London Fletcher nine years ago.

Laurinaitis, a second-round draft pick, debuted with 14 stops at Seattle, then added 10 more Sunday at Washington. He's the Rams' top tackler and among the league leaders.

If Laurinaitis is impressed with his fast start, he isn't showing it. When he watches film, he said, he skips over his highlights and searches instead for his miscues.

"I like to watch the not-so-good plays and look for things I can improve," Laurinaitis said. "I've been that way my whole life. It didn't matter if it was at Ohio State or at Wayzata High School (in Plymouth, Minn.). Every game, I always went up to my coach and said, 'All right, what do I need to improve? What do I need to understand better?'"

The idea, he explained, is to achieve perfection even though he knows that's unattainable.

"You can't expect to play in this league and go through a game with no missed tackles on your defense," Laurinaitis said. "But I think it's just that constant awareness of, 'Hey, don't try to be perfect, but still aim for it.'

"If you don't, (mistakes) become acceptable. And you can't let them be acceptable."

BROWN SHRUGS OFF PAIN

As he'd promised, center Jason Brown practiced Wednesday, three days after spraining a knee and twisting an ankle in the 9-7 loss to the Redskins.

"My (medial collateral ligament) is pretty tender and I have a right ankle that's pretty tender," Brown said. "But you're expected to play through pain. ... If you're injured, you shouldn't be capable of practicing."

Brown, a fifth-year pro, hasn't missed a game or a practice in the NFL. Coach Steve Spagnuolo noted that he began his recovery as soon as possible.

"When we got off the plane and came over here on the bus Sunday night, he went right into rehab, which I thought was pretty impressive," Spagnuolo said. "He's got a great desire. He was intent on getting back."

GRECO, DAHL RARIN' TO GO

Guard John Greco (wrist) and safety Craig Dahl (hamstring), both sidelined for the first two games, took part in most of the drills and could be ready for Sunday's home opener vs. Green Bay.

"It just felt good to be out there; sitting back and watching was getting old," Greco said. "I wrapped it up and gave it everything I could. I think I'm ready."

Dahl, a free-agent pickup in the offseason, is eager to contribute to his new team. "I'm feeling good ... ready to go now," he said. "I think I could help out ... create a little spark on special teams."

RAM-BLINGS

This week's captains are tackle Adam Goldberg (offense), safety James Butler (defense) and linebacker Chris Chamberlain (special teams). ... With Jason Smith out (knee), Goldberg was at right tackle with the first team. He filled in there after Smith was injured late in the first half Sunday.

:ramlogo:

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams' Laurinaitis is always looking for ways to improve

Now that Greco is healthy, we could be seeing him in action pretty soon if we dont get better play out of Bell or Incognito

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

This guy Laurinitaus is INSANE! 22 tackles in two games and I think 16 or 17 of them were solo. Just what we need in STL, a solid tackler. If he can stay healthy, I think he can lead all rookie LBs in tackles this season. More importantly though he is a huge help to our defense.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Laurinaitis has been the best addition to this team so far IMO.