Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: St. Louis Rams must play all home games at Dome, commission says

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams must play all home games at Dome, commission says

STLtoday.com | Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Responding to the Rams' plans to play games in London, the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission said today the team is required by its lease to play all home games at the Edward Jones Dome.
    "We immediately brought this to the Rams' attention and are awaiting their response," the commission, which manages the Dome, said in a statement.
    The Rams announced last week that they would play one home game over the next three years in London, where owner Stan Kroenke also owns the Arsenal soccer club. The Rams are slated to play the New England Patriots this year in London's Wembley Stadium.
    The commission acknowledged that the Rams playing overseas would "elevate an awareness of St. Louis on the global stage." But it added, "Our lease with the Rams requires that the Rams play all their home games in the Edward Jones Dome."
    CVC President Kathleen "Kitty" Ratcliffe was unavailable for comment today. A commission spokeswoman, Donna Andrews, said she couldn't offer any additional details.
    A section of the the Rams' lease at the Dome calls for the team "to play all its home NFL Games (other than pre-season NFL Games) at the Facilities." The Rams can disregard this rule if the Dome is not in useable condition or if the lease is terminated, according to that section of the lease.
    The planned home games in London would be a financial boost for the Rams. NFL teams that have played in London have been guaranteed ticket revenue equivalent to a sellout, plus expenses.
    Wembley Stadium seats 82,000, while the Dome seats 66,000. And while general admission tickets at the Dome ranged from $25 to $160 this season, prices for the Rams-Patriots game at Wembley range from $70 to $155.
    The CVC's stance on the London games comes on the cusp of negotiations with the Rams about the condition of the Dome. The Rams can opt out of the lease by 2015 if the Dome is not a "first tier" NFL stadium. The CVC must deliver a plan to the Rams by Wednesday explaining how the Dome can be refurbished to meet that standard. That will trigger a series of negotiation deadlines in 2012. The lease, however, does not offer a clear-cut definition of what constitutes "first tier."
    Check back for updates on this developing story
    This is interesting, to say the least.... Let the games begin.

Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams must play all home games at Dome, commission says

Well lets start packing and get to the Rose Bowl stadium! Farmers Field here we come!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Right, go ahead and piss off the billionaire owner right before negotiations on a new lease. Good job CVC in St. Louis. Stan is going to be thrilled to keep the Rams in a city that tells him where his team can play.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Tell them to poke it Stan...

And I'll see you and the team when you get to London.

Truth is offline Registered User

The CVC is just trying to gain some sort of leverage in the negotiations. It's a gamble. However, they're probably hoping to get some concessions on their proposal for overlooking this particular clause in the agreement. I doubt that Mr. Kroenke cares. I can't wait for the proposal from the CVC...this is going to be fun.
    Last edited by Truth; -01-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    jkramsfan and TekeRam like this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

This does not please me.....if there is a battle between the CVC and Kroenke, i dont see it ending well......

STAY IN THE LOU!!!!!!!!!!
    ZiaRam likes this.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Yeah I think this is a move by the CVC since they realize they have absolutely 0 leverage. However, this move definitely had potential to backfire. If the CVC plays hardball and makes the trip to London difficult for Stan I could see it getting ugly.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

They're desperate for sure because there is NO plan available, nor the amount of money available to bring the ED up to the standards of the lease. It cannot be done and everyone and their mother's know it. So what can they do?The only way this works in St. Louis is that Stan is given some land or ownership in the new stadium and he is convinced to pony up the money to build it. But the ED is dead. So it's going to come down to ROI. What is the better return on investment for Stan? As everyone rightly says, Stan is a business man and he will do what's best financially for the company and their investors. If spending roughly a billion or more of his own money in a new stadium in St. Louis has a better ROI than getting to play in a brand new state of the art billion dollar stadium in LA, at no cost to him, then he'll stay. But the CVC is going to have to get creative because they're no way to upgrade the ED with money available. Stan has ALL the leverage right now. The only way he loses some of it is if another NFL team beats him to LA. Forget any talk of going to London, that's not going to happen to any team.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Last time I checked, a lease is a LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT. If the lease requires them to play ALL home games at the EJD, then they need to abide by that. Perhaps some discussion/negotiations PRIOR to making the new arrangement with the league would have been a good idea. To make the CVC out to be some sort of villain here is kinda silly.
    Last edited by Fargo Ram Fan; -01-27-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    39WillRunYaOva and gap like this.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Talk about morons.

Let's run some numbers for fun. Let's say a home game draws 60,000 people, EACH of whom spends $200.
    And let's say Stan and the CVC split it - so we're at $6M each. So after three years, the CVC is out $18M.
    Let's say Stan's on the hook for that.

Let's say Wembly gets 80,000 people. Using the same numbers, Stan's split with Wembly nets him $12M over three years. If he compensates the CVC over those three years, that gives him a net loss of $0.

BTW, interest on a 3 billion dollars, at 1% a year is $2.5M a month. Think Mr. Kroenke is worried about the CVC?

Somehow, I do not see that as providing the CVC with any leverage, and as has been pointed out, might only serve to irriitate Kroenke a bit.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, but being from LA, I wouldn't mind having him move them back.

Again, what a bunch of idiots.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -01-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Fettmaster likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Last time I checked, a lease is a LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT. If the lease requires them to play ALL home games at the EJD, then they need to abide by that. Perhaps some discussion/negotiations PRIOR to making the new arrangement with the league would have been a good idea. To make the CVC out to be some sort of villain here is kinda silly.
    I don't think anyone is trying to make the CVC look like villans. They do have a legally binding contract with the Rams. They're just using the only leverage they seem to have at this point. The question is, will it give them true leverage, or just make negotiations more difficult. That's the gamble. It's also possible that the CVC just wants to be sure that Stan gives them their share of the home team's cut.
    Last edited by Truth; -01-27-2012 at 07:15 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    It may be a binding contract, but that's not the end of the discussion. If Kroenke insists on playing in London, the CVC would essentially have two legal remedies (and yes, I'm going to take the rare measure of putting my lawyer hat on for this one):

1. They could sue for an injunction preventing the Rams from playing in London. The problem with this strategy, is that they would have to prove that, in the absence of an injunction (or, using another legal term, specific performance), they will suffer irreparable harm. If, on the other hand, the court finds that the damages resulting from the breach of the lease can be measured, it could deny injunctive relief and make the CVC go to plan B, which is...

2. Sue for money damages. There is clearly a loss of revenue attached to moving home games out of the EJD. The question is, does Kroenke make enough money from playing in London to cover these losses. My guess is that the answer would be yes, so Stan might just agree to pay the damages to the CVC.

Of course, as many have noted, the bigger issue is whether the CVC can afford to get into a full blown legal dispute with Kroenke when the lease is about to become voidable. Obviously, the answer is "no," so this should be viewed as what it is: a "hail mary" from the side of the negotiating table that has virtually no other real bargaining power.

In the end, this is going to play out in Kroenke's favor. Of that you can be almost certain. The details remain to be determined, and this is just that: a detail.
    Nick, Truth, THOLTFAN81 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It may be a binding contract, but that's not the end of the discussion. If Kroenke insists on playing in London, the CVC would essentially have two legal remedies (and yes, I'm going to take the rare measure of putting my lawyer hat on for this one):

1. They could sue for an injunction preventing the Rams from playing in London. The problem with this strategy, is that they would have to prove that, in the absence of an injunction (or, using another legal term, specific performance), they will suffer irreparable harm. If, on the other hand, the court finds that the damages resulting from the breach of the lease can be measured, it could deny injunctive relief and make the CVC go to plan B, which is...

2. Sue for money damages. There is clearly a loss of revenue attached to moving home games out of the EJD. The question is, does Kroenke make enough money from playing in London to cover these losses. My guess is that the answer would be yes, so Stan might just agree to pay the damages to the CVC.

Of course, as many have noted, the bigger issue is whether the CVC can afford to get into a full blown legal dispute with Kroenke when the lease is about to become voidable. Obviously, the answer is "no," so this should be viewed as what it is: a "hail mary" from the side of the negotiating table that has virtually no other real bargaining power.

In the end, this is going to play out in Kroenke's favor. Of that you can be almost certain. The details remain to be determined, and this is just that: a detail.
    That there lawyerin' talk, makes mah haid all spinny like.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I don't think anyone is trying to make the CVC look like villans. They do have a legally binding contract with the Rams. They're just using the only leverage they seem to have at this point. The question is, will it give them true leverage, or just make negotiations more difficult. That's the gamble. It's also possible that the CVC just wants to be sure that Stan gives them their share of the home team's cut.
    Have you read the posts in this thread? Fargo is the only one who has said anything positive towards the CVC about this.

Yes, this does give the CVC leverage, and it also does not mean this is a poke in Stan's eye. They are mearly pointing out that the games in London have to be road games, not home games.

If Stan is the astute business man that everyone thinks he is, he really didn't show it here. You would think an astute business man would have checked his current lease before planning to use someone else's facility for a regular season home game.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Have you read the posts in this thread? Fargo is the only one who has said anything positive towards the CVC about this.

Yes, this does give the CVC leverage, and it also does not mean this is a poke in Stan's eye. They are mearly pointing out that the games in London have to be road games, not home games.

If Stan is the astute business man that everyone thinks he is, he really didn't show it here. You would think an astute business man would have checked his current lease before planning to use someone else's facility for a regular season home game.

gap
    I've read the posts. No one is saying the CVC are villains...stupid, maybe. But not villains

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast