Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: St. Louis Rams must play all home games at Dome, commission says

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams must play all home games at Dome, commission says

Sounds like bargaining position to me. Maybe CVC backs off its stance on London in exchange for some slack on the "first tier" clause in the lease?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    If Stan is the astute business man that everyone thinks he is, he really didn't show it here. You would think an astute business man would have checked his current lease before planning to use someone else's facility for a regular season home game.
    Oh, please. If you think Stan is surprised by this, you're kidding yourself. Clearly, he and his team of lawyers are well aware of the clause - they just don't fear it.

By way of analogy - Sam Bradford has a clause in his contract that allows the Rams to cut him and, in doing so, escape from the obligation to pay the full balance of his contract. Exactly how worried do you think Sam is that the team is going exercise that clause?

This is not even a little bit unusual in a high stakes business deal.
    Truth, jjigga3000 and Rammed like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I get bargaining position and leverage, but why would Stan make a unilateral deal to play games in London, without any discussion what so ever with the CVC, knowing the terms of the lease? Seems like a snub and a bit confrontational, especially going into sensitive negotiations. It looks like things are already getting contentious with the CVC making a public statement on the issue before talking to Kroenke. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Perhaps Cvc is thinking if they are going to lose the rams, they aren't going to also lose money they are entitled to under the lease just for kicks

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Or maybe its a way of saving face..."we tried to keep them here, but they voided their contract!"...
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

It strikes me as posturing on behalf of the CVC and fairly naive posturing at that.

As AV has pointed out, its very unlikely that the clause escaped Kroenke's notice and the CVC must have known that prior to this public release. Its not exactly the route I would take if I were to make any serious effort at 'First tier' status for the dome.

It almost feel like, as MoonJoe says a recognition of their inability/unwillingness to make that serious effort and provide themselves with a fig leaf of sorts.

This may all work itself out of course, but this really wasn't the best way for the CVC to start.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Not making them the villain I think folk are pointing out the fact that if you wanna keep a team you need to make concessions and not play hard ball.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Stan holds all the power in the bargaining process. The fact that is coming out doesn't surprise me. Stan is a business man who has the opportunity to move a team the Second Largest Market in the USA. I think he found the best way to create strife, between the team and the CVC. That when he does leave he can blame the CVC and leave with a good image. I don't think he wants to make the same kinda of move Georgia made. Me personally I think it's very clever.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Anyone who takes a sports team out of St.Louis is not going to leave with a good image.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Which one of you can honestly say if you ran the CVC you'd do something different? NO ONE is going to stand by and willingly allow themselves to lose the gate receipts on ONE home game, much less three in three years. They have done exactly what any business entity would do under similar circumstances- call attention to a legitimate clause within a lease agreement and try to ensure their interests are served. It has nothing to do with "intimidating Stan". As someone pointed out earlier, it might be as simple as Stan agreeing to take some of the gate from Wembley and "reimbursing" the CVC. I don't see this as being some kind of a major roadbloack to anything.

As related to the bigger issue, I cannot see the CVC ponying up an ungodly sum of money to keep the Rams in St. Louis regardless of circumstances. Of course without knowing EXACTLY what a "top tier" facility is, we have no way of knowing what that amount of money may be.
    HUbison likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Oh, please. If you think Stan is surprised by this, you're kidding yourself. Clearly, he and his team of lawyers are well aware of the clause - they just don't fear it.

This is not even a little bit unusual in a high stakes business deal.
    I was actually being tongue in cheek on this. I doubt Stan became as successful as he has by over-looking things like this. But big businesses have fallen on hard times, or had serious set-backs, from things such as this.

If Stan really did know about this clause in the lease, and he made the London deal anyway, there are only a few reasons I can think to do so.

1. Purposely give the CVC some leverage that they obviously need (doubtful)
    2. Start a feud with the CVC so they won't want to put money into the EJD
    3. He is so arrogant that he thinks he can get away with it (doubtful)
    4. He planned on sharing revenues with the CVC, but he hasn't had time meet with the CVC

These are all that I can think of, and I am sure that there are plenty more. But no matter how you look at it, this story didn't start the process off badly, Stan's deal did.

Just because the CVC isn't a billion dollar business doesn't mean they are dumb, or don't know how to negotiate (original lease aside, as those members may no longer be on the CVC). The release of this story is a part of their negotiating ploy, and I am sure they have a very good reason for releasing it.

gap

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Stan holds all the power in the bargaining process. The fact that is coming out doesn't surprise me. Stan is a business man who has the opportunity to move a team the Second Largest Market in the USA. I think he found the best way to create strife, between the team and the CVC. That when he does leave he can blame the CVC and leave with a good image. I don't think he wants to make the same kinda of move Georgia made. Me personally I think it's very clever.
    Pujols said all the right things and people still hate him for leaving and they will hate Stan to if he pulls out even though he "tried" to make it work out.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Yeah BUTT! You have to know when to holdem and know when to foldem!
    Fat Pang likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Anyone who takes a sports team out of St.Louis is not going to leave with a good image.
    ...in St. Louis.

Wherever Stan and the Rams go, his image will be just fine.
    Fat Pang and THOLTFAN81 like this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The more the days go on, the more I'm beginning to think the Rams are going to move to LA. Just a gut feeling that I am beginning to get.
    Fettmaster likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast