eldfan is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams' Offense Is Insane. It Needs To Be Crazy.

By Armen Dacity (Rams Featured Columnist) on September 21, 2010

As the old saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

By that description, the Rams' offense is insane.

Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur's playcalling has become, in a word, predictable. Fans can see it but, more importantly, opposing defensive coordinators can see it.

As a result, troubling patterns are emerging. In each of the Rams first two games, the team had a lead well into the third quarter. Unfortunately, they were unable to extend those leads, which ultimately crumbled. Poor execution can be blamed, but only to an extent. It has been clear that opposing defenses have "figured out" the Rams' offense, resulting in fewer holes for Steven Jackson, and fewer open receivers for Sam Bradford.

Some might be tempted to blame the defense, but the reality is, the offense's failure to move the ball and score points in the second halves of games has placed undue pressure on the defense.

So what is the explanation for the static, predictable, "insane" offense?

Typically, the answer offered is "lack of talent at the skill positions," particularly at wide receiver.

That's not an acceptable answer.

In fact, a team that lacks offensive firepower MUST be unpredictable, innovative and, indeed, a bit crazy.

When the Miami Dolphins hit the field in 2008, they too had a dearth of offensive talent. But, rather than addressing that by being conservative, they rolled out the craziest offensive scheme the league has seen in a while: the "Wildcat." Guess what? It worked.

I'm not advocating that the Rams use the "Wildcat," which NFL defenses have now caught up with to a large extent. Rather, I'm suggesting that the Rams need to find their own crazy scheme to mix things up a bit.

Run a reverse to Mardy Gilyard.

Work on more ways to get Steven Jackson the ball out of the backfield.

Let Jackson throw the ball on a halfback option.

Call a fly pattern on 2nd and one.

The Rams don't have the talent to line up in a simple offense and say to the defense "here we come... try to stop us." Thinking that will work right now is insane.

The Rams need to, instead, get a little crazy.

:ramlogo:

10m39s80i81t is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams' Offense Is Insane. It Needs To Be Crazy.

I'm sorry but I totally agree. We are way to predictable. I said the same thing last year. I wonder how many Ram's fans around the world scream at the tv every week "WE JUST SAW THAT PLAY IT DIDN'T WORK THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!!" I know I do.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree we need to get "REAL" creative on offense.

But read this:

I was listening to Sirius NFL Talk the other day and they had former Headcoach Marty Schottenheimer in the booth answering callers questions.

A JETS fan called in and asked exactly what we are complaining about. Why is the offense running the same plays so often?

Marty's response: The Jets are working with a very young and inexperienced QB. The reason for the repetition is simple. They're allowing QB Sanchez the time to perfect and gain confidence in himself and the plays being called. Playing at real game speed against a real opponent is the best way to gain the perfection and confidence he needs. It showed in the JETS win over the Patriots Sunday.

Makes sense to me......I don't have to like it or agree with it.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I think Shumur CAN be a good OC. Right now though I would have to say he is not. Like everyone else I would agree that we are to predictable, and I can even understand why we are a little predictable. But for god sake do we need to have the same pattern of play calling on every series. An example, 3rd and long I would bet money that a HB draw is coming. The purpose of the draw is to catch the defense off guard in prevent coverage, but you cant surprise a defense when they know what you do every 3rd down. Any way I am just asking you Pat, please mix it up a little.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Crazy? How 'bout this...

"Using the Pistol Offense, during the 2009 season, the Nevada Wolf Pack led the nation in rushing at 345 yards a game and were second in total offense at 506 yards. The Wolf Pack also became the first team in college football history with three 1,000-yard rushers in the same season."

Nevada stomped Cal 52-31 last week.

Of course, a team would need more than one capable running back to operate this offense and it might not work as well in the NFL.

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
    "Using the Pistol Offense, during the 2009 season, the Nevada Wolf Pack led the nation ..
    Pistol Offense? I don't know. Maybe he just needs a pistol. At this point, it may be the only way Shurmur has a chance.