throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

St. Louis Rams owner prefers Stan Kroenke take over team ..

BY JIM THOMAS

05/27/2010

IRVING, TEXAS In many ways, it has been a long 2 1/2 years for Chip Rosenbloom as controlling owner of the Rams.

"Emotionally, there's so many things that go into it," Rosenbloom told the Post-Dispatch. "The issue of whether we would hold onto the team, selling the team, the timing of that, all of those issues are from a family that has been in the sports business since 1953 11 years before I was born.

"It's part of the fabric of our family's lives. Emotionally, it's been very tough. And that's been one of the keys in finding the right buyer."

Rosenbloom and sister Lucia Rodriguez inherited 60 percent of the team when their mother, Georgia Frontiere, died of breast cancer on Jan. 18, 2008.

Between Rosenbloom's father, Carroll Rosenbloom, and his mother, the family has owned an NFL franchise first the Colts, then the Rams for 57 years.

But largely because of estate tax issues, Rosenbloom and Rodriguez can no longer make a go of it as NFL owners. And after a long, tedious process characterized at times by frustration and surprise developments, the goal line is in sight.

Although Rosenbloom wouldn't speak to it, progress was made at the just completed NFL owners meetings in the Dallas area. If all goes well, team owners could approve Missouri businessman Stan Kroenke's bid to purchase controlling interest in the team as early as August.

In his first extensive interview since late January, Rosenbloom talked about the sales process and why Kroenke is a good choice as the Rams' next owner, and paid homage to Illinois businessman Shahid Khan.

"It's been interesting," Rosenbloom said. "We're tackling a lot of issues here. We're trying to find the right buyer for us, the right buyer for the NFL, the right buyer for St. Louis. And do it in a way that respects the process."

In a move that surprised many, Kroenke exercised his right of first refusal in matching a sales agreement reached by Khan to purchase Rosenbloom's and Rodriguez's 60 percent share.

"Stan has been a great partner, a friend to our family for 15 years," Rosenbloom said. "It's his right to do what he chose to do here. We're happy that we have such a good friend in Stan and that St. Louis has such a good friend in Stan."

In no way, Rosenbloom pointed out, should that be construed as a sign of disrespect to Khan.

"I have great admiration for Shad Khan, and I consider Shad a friend," Rosenbloom said.

Nonetheless, Rosenbloom would be gratified to see Kroenke take over the team because in a sense Kroenke would continue the family legacy in the NFL. He joined Frontiere as a business partner in 1995 when he agreed to purchase 40 percent of the team, a transaction that ensured the franchise's transfer from Southern California to St. Louis.

"It is an interesting thing when these teams sell, and sometimes the past is totally forgotten," Rosenbloom said. "One of the most important things to me, and I know Lucia, too, is to protect the tradition and legacy of the Rosenbloom family. And that encompasses my mom, of course.

"But that's not something where you can just sign a contract and say, 'This is how it's done.' Either the people that you hand the baton off to are going to do it or they're not going to do it. I feel very comfortable with Stan as a friend (taking over the team)."

If Kroenke's bid is approved, Rosenbloom said he and his sister plan to stay involved with the Rams and with the St. Louis community "for decades to come."

"Stan will help us fulfill our desires to stay a part of the organization's family, so to speak, whether it's through community activities or just being huge fans of the team," Rosenbloom said.

It could be more than that. There has been speculation that Rosenbloom and Rodriguez will retain a small percentage of the team if it is sold to Kroenke. But Rosenbloom declined to comment on that possibility.

Although the Rams have won only three games in the two seasons since Frontiere's death, Rosenbloom says a foundation for success has been laid through the massive changes he has overseen since '08, including new head coach Steve Spagnuolo and a totally revamped front office.

"It's been important over the last 2 1/2 years to try and change the dynamic of the organization," Rosenbloom said. "I want to sit with you five years from now and say, 'Look at what the things we've done in (those) 2 1/2 years have brought. Have they been good things?'

"And I would hope that that answer is yes. Primarily, that's been my goal, to try and find a way to get this thing run right with the people that we have in place. Now, I think we're on that path. I mean, I look at the organization and I feel very happy with the direction we're headed. Now we have a ways to go we have to translate that into victories on the field."

Rosenbloom denied that the sale of the team has limited spending in free agency.

"The sale of the team has had no impact on how we've approached free agency," he said. "We've left that process up to our football people."

But he was a big proponent of drafting Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick.

"If you can find a guy who enters the locker room and can make a sudden change, just in terms of leadership, that's a great thing," Rosenbloom said. "From every action this guy's taken, he's a great leader."

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Re: St. Louis Rams owner prefers Stan Kroenke take over team ..

So why not sell it directly to Kroenke right off the bat?

I'm sorry but I can't help but think this the whole time I read it.

I "Rosenbloom" have no clue what I'm doing as an owner. "3 wins in 2 years" "3 head coaches in 2 years also" Stan has lots of money and will buy this off me before I lose every dime I have. Hence I am going to kiss his buttocks till he gives me money for the team. Khan has lots of money too so ditto. If I play one off the other I will make more than if I just sell it to Stan.
    Last edited by lordwhttgr; -05-28-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    So why not sell it directly to Kroenke right off the bat?
    Cross-ownership rules. Chip can't sell it to Stan unless they can get league approval. Otherwise, this might have gone down a long time ago.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Cross-ownership rules. Chip can't sell it to Stan unless they can get league approval. Otherwise, this might have gone down a long time ago.
    In addition to the cross-ownership rule, I'm sure Silent Stan was perfectly willing to let someone else do the negotiating thereby preventing business from intruding upon friendship .. After all Kroenke knew all along his contract stated clearly that he the right to cut to the front of the line if he chose to do ..

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    cross ownership rules exist to day also,,,but Stan is trying to buy.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    cross ownership rules exist to day also,,,but Stan is trying to buy.
    And he will likely be allowed to work out a compromise or waiver with the NFL. Isn't it wonderful that the Good Ol' Boys network likes him? This franchise might actually finally catch breaks from the league.