Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: St. Louis Rams Select WR Brian Quick With 33rd Pick Overall

Rambos is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Select WR Brian Quick With 33rd Pick Overall

The 6'3", 222 lb Quick starred at FCS power Appalachian State, totaling 202 catches in his 4 years with the Mountaineers. In 12 games last season, Quick grabbed 71 balls for 1096 yards and 11 touchdowns. He has excellent size and speed at receiver, and has the talent to become a star in the NFL.
    The question on everyone's mind is where is he? Now that Pettis has come back he did not dress this weekend. Is he that bad? He did not dress for a guy that did not get into the game. Maybe I missed it but I did not see Pettis play.

When I look at this roster I see one receiver the Rams need to make a decision on in a hurry and that is Smith. If Smith is going to start every game and make one catch a game, that's a waste of time. I could understand sitting Quick if Smith is helping this team move the chains, but he's not. With Smith's lack of production I don't see the Rams signing him next year so why keep him as the starter. Quick is not going to develop on the bench or watching on Sundays. Now add Pettis to the mix a 3 RD pick and a second year player, he needs to get playing time as well. I have read the new regime loves him. They like how physical he is at 6'3.

So where does that leave Quick, is he going to basically become a practice squad player this year? I expected Smith's play would be more like a Brandon Lloyd on Sunday. He was a pro bowl receiver and he is back at full speed but he is having no impact on Sundays. If Quick is going to see playing time Smith needs to be the guy that is sitting IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    RockinRam likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Select WR Brian Quick With 33rd Pick Overall

Its obviously that Fisher has this team playing better on the offensive side of the ball.

Bradford is slowly throwing the ball better and better, and bigger plays are developing.

If you look at Blackmon, M.Floyd, AJ Jenkins, K.Wright, A.Jeffery, TY Hilton, S.Hill, Broyles, R.Randle, TJ Graham, M.Sanu, D.Posey, J.Criner...etc. etc...

Very few of these guys are making it on the field, never mind a big impact on any team.

With Quick coming from I-AA school he has more adjustments than just football. He has girls, money, attention, and then routes and playbooks...

Quick will need a full year of adjustments, but will be fine for the start of next season....

S.Smith has to play right now, because if Bradford needs someone in the right spot, he will be there....

Givens and Smith have been rotating a lot, and our offensive line is still not good, but Fisher and Bradford are working around it.....

The more I watch Bradford, the more I think he is Eli Manning. He has tools but has an awkward pocket presence before and at release of the ball.....Once the Giants worked out their Oline and Wide Reciever issues, Eli than became an elite passer.....before that he was though as a soft player that didn't make big plays......

Eli and Bradford are similar, they are not going to rush for yards but can throw the ball with time.

Look for the Rams defense and running to keep us in games but with Arizona and Seattle emerging, it is obvious that the NFC West is a fierce division.

The Rams will probably be out of the playoffs this season and the last 4 weeks the youth movement will slowly take over......

Fisher has both goals for this season but keeping the big picture in mind for next year to become a powerful team that will need just a few key additions....

Defense will be great for years to come with Long, Quinn, Jenkins, Finnegan, Brockers, JL

Offense needs Oline help, and 1 elite skill player in addition to team now WR/TE

Then it all coming together......its not Steve Smith's fault or Brian Quick's fault.....its the NFL and great things take time....just ask the team in SFran

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    So where does that leave Quick, is he going to basically become a practice squad player this year?
    3 games into the season [/eyeroll]

Very few of these guys are making it on the field, never mind a big impact on any team.
    This is true but some of those guys went to much better teams, Randle went to the team that won the SB and he did play this week. Look I'm not saying Quick should be lighting it up, I'm saying at the 33rd pick in the draft coming to this roster, he needs to be getting playing time. If he can't have an impact this year, then it was a reach. I'm not calling him a bust not at all BUT we needed players to come in and have an impact not watch from the sideline. If there was not a receiver that could help us in the draft, then we should have went O-line, safety, LB ect.

The same can be said for the Pead pick, if he can't come in and help us why draft him in the second round. We had and still have a tons of needs, the Pead pick starting to look like a luxury pick we did not have. maybe the Pead pick and the Quick pick will be great next year, I don't know. But looking at our O line and the beating Sam is taking again... kind of think we could have drafted smarter.
    UK Ramfan 83 and jsimcox like this.

RockinRam is online now Registered User

I agree, at some point he needs to get on the field. Whether or not he contributes while playing is fine, but there is only so much you can "learn" and "develop" on the bench.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

This is true but some of those guys went to much better teams, Randle went to the team that won the SB and he did play this week. Look I'm not saying Quick should be lighting it up, I'm saying at the 33rd pick in the draft coming to this roster, he needs to be getting playing time. If he can't have an impact this year, then it was a reach. I'm not calling him a bust not at all BUT we needed players to come in and have an impact not watch from the sideline. If there was not a receiver that could help us in the draft, then we should have went O-line, safety, LB ect.

The same can be said for the Pead pick, if he can't come in and help us why draft him in the second round. We had and still have a tons of needs, the Pead pick starting to look like a luxury pick we did not have. maybe the Pead pick and the Quick pick will be great next year, I don't know. But looking at our O line and the beating Sam is taking again... kind of think we could have drafted smarter.
    So if your pick number 33 you should get playing time eventhough you have not earned it? Not sure where you played or if you played football but on most teams you have to earn playing time as a young player. Quick was a reach and most of us Rams fan believe it would take time for Quick to adjust. But his potentail if coached up could bring great rewards for those who are willing to wait for it.....

I am more concern about Pead than Quick. Hope he can get it together soon.

GO RAMS
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -09-24-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    So if your pick number 33 you should get playing time eventhough you have not earned it? Not sure where you played or if you played football but on most teams you have to earn playing time as a young player. Quick was a reach and most of us Rams fan believe it would take time for Quick to adjust. But his potentail if coached up could bring great rewards for those who are willing to wait for it.....

I am more concern about Pead than Quick. Hope he can get it together soon.
    GO RAMS
    I think you are missing my point... I don't think just because he is a 33rd Pick Overall he gets a free pass. I think we should have taken another player at another position with all the needs we have to fill. Look next year we will have two first RD picks. Why draft a project at the top of the second if you think he is a reach and a project, when we can get a starter day one next year in the draft.

All I'm saying is we could have drafted a player that could be playing and contributing right now not next year. He may become great down the road but right now he's not helping.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-24-2012 at 01:14 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I agree with that to a point, but I'm also holding out hope that his ceiling is higher than most.

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
    1 Kendall Wright TEN WR 14 102 7.3 34.0 17 1 0 0 6 42.9 1
    2 Alshon Jeffery CHI WR 9 132 14.7 44.0 42T 1 2 1 6 66.7 0
    3 Rod Streater OAK WR 8 68 8.5 22.7 17 1 0 0 4 50.0 1
    4 Damaris Johnson PHI WR 7 107 15.3 35.7 26 0 2 0 7 100.0 0
    5 Josh Gordon CLE WR 6 77 12.8 25.7 20 0 1 0 4 66.7 0
    6 Stephen Hill NYJ WR 5 89 17.8 29.7 33T 2 2 0 5 100.0 0
    6 T.Y. Hilton IND WR 5 128 25.6 64.0 40T 1 3 1 4 80.0 0
    8 Justin Blackmon JAC WR 4 31 7.8 10.3 13 0 0 0 2 50.0 0
    8 T.J. Graham BUF WR 4 31 7.8 15.5 9T 1 0 0 2 50.0 0
    10 Travis Benjamin CLE WR 3 56 18.7 18.7 22T 1 2 0 3 100.0 0
    11 Kevin Elliott JAC WR 2 24 12.0 8.0 22 0 1 0 1 50.0 0
    11 Chris Givens STL WR 2 9 4.5 3.0 9 0 0 0 1 50.0 0
    11 Keshawn Martin HOU WR 2 20 10.0 6.7 18 0 0 0 1 50.0 0
    14 LaVon Brazill IND WR 1 10 10.0 5.0 10 0 0 0 0 0.0 0
    14 Michael Floyd ARI WR 1 8 8.0 2.7 8T 1 0 0 1 100.0 0
    14 Rueben Randle NYG WR 1 4 4.0 1.3 4 0 0 0 0 0.0 0
    14 Deonte Thompson BAL WR 1 25 25.0 8.3 25 0 1 0 1 100.0 0
    18 Brian Quick STL WR 0 0 -- 0.0 -- 0 0 0 0 -- 0

Here are the rookie numbers... 2012

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I didn't like the Steve Smith signing anyway. I thought he proved me wrong during the pre-season, but that was obviously a hoax. The guy just isn't the same player. Let Quick, Pettis, and Givens see the field more. Givens and Pettis deserve more playing time, and Quick needs it to develop. Smith isn't doing nothing. Gibson is barely doing anything. I'd prefer to have Amendola and Pettis starting. Pettis getting 50% of the time, Gibby and Quick splitting with 25% each.

3 WR's: Givens, Amendola in slot, Quick/Gibson/Pettis on the otherside.

I want to see more shots to Givens. I want to see more playing time for Quick and Pettis as well.

THE DREAM TEAM

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

To be fair to Steve Smith, he has caught pretty much all that has been thrown at him. I don't know how often he is on the field, but all he can do is catch the ball if it comes his way, and pick up some YAC.

Maybe have Smith replace Gibson outside the #'s to see where he's at? Maybe Smith just doesn't fit in this scheme, who knows.

citr92 is offline Registered User

yea, i should be looking harder lol, but i keep losing track of smith, when i notice he's there, he catches a pass, or is overthrown, i think he needs more throws, but the LINE needs to BLOCK LONGER

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

You said it citr92, the O-Line has to block longer and more effectively. Until we have a reliable blocking line for Sam and proper pass protection from RB's and TE's we'll see these quick routes that demand WR's who get open. Quick appears not to have that down yet or his route tree is not geared for those packages. When we get Saffold back things will get better until then let's cross or fingers.

Go Rams!

macrammer is online now Registered User

I am in support of our HC, somebody that has a proven record coaching in the NFL. But Rambos, you do have a point. I never exected this year to be more then 4-12/5-11...... BUT a stepping stone to great things to come so I am just sitting and watching to see how we develop as a team......I expect us to exit the year better then we started with some of these questions answered. It is frustrating as a fan to see our second pick not dressing

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I think you are missing my point... I don't think just because he is a 33rd Pick Overall he gets a free pass. I think we should have taken another player at another position with all the needs we have to fill. Look next year we will have two first RD picks. Why draft a project at the top of the second if you think he is a reach and a project, when we can get a starter day one next year in the draft.

All I'm saying is we could have drafted a player that could be playing and contributing right now not next year. He may become great down the road but right now he's not helping.
    Some positions are plug and go. The wide reciever position is more of a wait and see unless the player is a top 5 overall pick. I know Moss was not a top 5 pick but would have been if not for off the field issues.

GO Rams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast