Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: St. Louis Rams Should Have Taken Chance on Tim Tebow Instead of Signing Retreads ..

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

St. Louis Rams Should Have Taken Chance on Tim Tebow Instead of Signing Retreads ..

By Dustin Nosler2 hours ago

The Rams could use the media coverage that comes with a Tim Tebow signing.

COMMENTARY |The St. Louis Rams' season essentially ended when Sam Bradford went down with a torn anterior cruciate ligament after the Oct. 20 game against the Carolina Panthers.

Kellen Clemens is going to start this week for the Rams, which doesn't bode well for anyone but the opponent (Seattle Seahawks).

In response to the injury, the Rams this week signed former Ram Austin Davis and former Cleveland Browns' and Kansas City Chiefs' quarterback Brady Quinn. Davis is widely unknown while Quinn is what he is -- a below-average NFL quarterback.

So, why not take a chance on "quarterback" Tim Tebow?

Let me preface this by saying I am in no way a Tebow fan. He's the most overrated, over-covered professional athlete in the last 20 years. He might even be the most overrated pro ever in any sport. But the Rams really don't have much to lose, other than more games.

Tebow began his career with the Denver Broncos and promptly led them to the AFC Divisional Round in his second season. He was traded to the New York Jets (with the Rams reportedly having interest) after the Broncos signed Peyton Manning. Tebow barely played in New York and was cut by the New England Patriots prior to the 2013 season.

Tebow can't really throw. His arm is strong enough to play the position -- unfortunately, he doesn't have the accuracy, throwing motion and footwork for the position. Despite this, I still would like to have seen the Rams take a flyer on him.

The Rams are 3-4 with a loss upcoming against the soon-to-be 7-1 Seahawks. The San Francisco ***** are 5-2 and should have no trouble with the Jacksonville Jaguars in London. There's no way the Rams are winning the division and they're behind a few teams for a wild card spot. I'm not saying they should tank the rest of the season, but there needs to be a reason fans show up to the Edward Jones Dome and turn on the game at home every week.

Tebow would bring media coverage to a team that could use it. There is some good, young talent on the Rams' team (mostly on the defensive side of the ball). Those guys could get exposure, while the Rams' poor offensive line could tick up with Tebow under center (or in the shotgun).

If there's one thing Tebow can do, it's run the ball. His mobility could minimize the underperforming line (I'm looking at you, Jake Long). The Rams have one of the worst running games in the NFL, but Zac Stacy has been solid in his three starts so far. Adding Tebow to the ground attack could improve it (while the passing game would suffer mightily).

And who knows -- maybe the Rams would catch the proverbial lightning in a bottle and Tebow could duplicate "his" success in Denver. The Rams have the ability defense to carry a poor offense, but it hasn't been up to par in the last few weeks (win at Houston notwithstanding).

The Rams are going nowhere. They probably weren't going anywhere with Bradford, but at least there was a chance he could lead the Rams to the postseason. There's virtually no chance of the Rams making the playoffs with any of Clemens, Davis or Quinn at the helm. While Tebow hasn't really played quarterback since 2011, there's really no downside to bringing him aboard, unless you're tired of the incessant media coverage of the future h-back/fullback/tight end. I am, but the Rams need something at this point.

Jeff Fisher probably wouldn't consider bringing in Tebow, but he's worked with mobile quarterbacks with questionable throwing styles in the past (Steve McNair, Vince Young). Maybe he could work some kind of magic. If that were the case, though, the Rams probably would have signed him.

At least it looks like the Rams could have a high draft pick or two come 2014 -- a phrase Rams' fans are all too familiar with. Bringing in Tebow would at least give the Rams a little intrigue and a reason to watch. It hasn't happened yet, and probably won't.

If not Tebow, then let the Austin Davis era begin.

"The Rams could use the media coverage that comes with a Tim Tebow signing."

Uh .. maybe, and maybe not. Media coverage can be positive or negative. The last thing Fish would desire at this juncture IMO is a media inspired 3 ring circus. That said, I have to admit that I would be curious to see what Tim could do if given the opportunity.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: St. Louis Rams Should Have Taken Chance on Tim Tebow Instead of Signing Retreads

I'll provide the same response that I did when I saw this article posted on Facebook yesterday.

No.
    ramstough39 and citr92 like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Should Have Taken Chance on Tim Tebow Instead of Signing Retreads

Isn't tebow a retread at this point too?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Isn't tebow a retread at this point too?
    Yes of course. But he's a faster retread than anything we've got. Hey the guy displays marginal accuracy on occasion. We've got receivers who can't remember the correct routes? You never know, it just might work!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

So let me get this straight, the Rams should have taken a chance on Tebow, despite being the "most overrated pro ever in any sport", and a player that not one NFL team sees fit to even carry on their roster? Wake up Dustin.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

The media attention he brings isn't the right kind. They wont be talking about the other young players on the team and instead will focus on some fabricated QB battle between Tebow and Bradford. Nevermind all of Tebow's fanatics that care nothing for the team - they just want Tebow and no matter how bad he is they just keep making noise.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Your Honor, I'd like to mark this as Exhibit A for why the average fan should not try to write articles.
    r8rh8rmike and citr92 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

By Dustin Nosler

So, why not take a chance on "quarterback" Tim Tebow?

Tebow can't really throw.
    Looks like Dustin Nosler answered his own question.
    r8rh8rmike and citr92 like this.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Randart is offline Registered User

I actually like Tebow but his willingness to embrace the work needed to make himself a viable thrower or passer in this league is befuddling the guy is a work horse but he thinks he already is up to par. Only way Tim ever gets the kinks worked out is if he gets someone specifically like Steve Young to bring him along make him set up properly and deliver the ball on time with the proper mechanics. I loved Steve Young when he was with the LA Express and was so sad the hated Whiners got him from TBay... Would have loved him in a Rams Uniform. Water far and away under the bridge now. But he makes alot of great points when analyzing Timmy Tebow!
    Last edited by Randart; -10-24-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Yes of course. But he's a faster retread than anything we've got. Hey the guy displays marginal accuracy on occasion. We've got receivers who can't remember the correct routes? You never know, it just might work!
    No, he isn't faster; Hekker ran a 4.87 forty. And JH is more accurate than Peyton, never mind Tebow, with a career completion % of 75.Plus he could probably pull off the occasional Flutie-esque drop goal from anywhere on the field.

If you're going to sprinkle hallucinogens on your breakfast cereal, why not dream of the next Blanda ?

PS edit And don't retort that Tebow ran a 4.71 forty, either. The point I'm making is that comparing a turtle to a tortoise & declaring the winner faster, rather than less slow displays a misconception about the value of straight line footspeed to a QB. Until you get to sub 4.45, no one in the NFL is likely to be considered fast,imo.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -10-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

It's embarrassing to post something in favor of Tebow, but oh well.

Someone explain to me Tebow's and Clemens statistics and why Tebow's should be ignored here:

Clemens: 52% completion, 2, 290 yards, 7 TD, 13 INT
    Tebow: 48% completion, 2,422 yards, 17 TD, 9 INT, + 989 yards rushing and 12 TD rushing

Is it just the circus that has people not interested?

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

if nothing else, it would have been a good business move to sell tickets for a couple home games because they would have sold out with people coming believing it was worth it and plenty of others who wanted to see him tank and laugh at him.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    It's embarrassing to post something in favor of Tebow, but oh well.

Someone explain to me Tebow's and Clemens statistics and why Tebow's should be ignored here:

Clemens: 52% completion, 2, 290 yards, 7 TD, 13 INT
    Tebow: 48% completion, 2,422 yards, 17 TD, 9 INT, + 989 yards rushing and 12 TD rushing

Is it just the circus that has people not interested?
    tebow was riding the success that the TEAM was having

he would NEVER do that in St. Louis, or anywhere ever again

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

As I stated on another thread, I don't think you'll see Tim Tebow play another down in the NFL ever again. When a poor team like Jacksonville- a team not far from where Tebow won two National Titles in college and who is desperate to sell tickets- didn't offer him an opportunity, it speaks volumes.

It is a shame, because Tim Tebow, for all the hate thrown his way is what is right with athletics. And he was jerked around last year by the Jets. But he's simply not good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL and at the end of the day, that's what matters.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The fact that we are having this conversation speaks volumes about the state of the Rams, and the fact that the front office/coaching staff, foolishly threw all their eggs in one basket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast