Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    10titans is offline Registered User

Re: BREAKING NEWS: St. Louis Rams sign WR Drew Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    Is this guy really worth 30 mil?
    IMO, no he is not worth that amount of money. He really hasn't been effective since 2004. He has a nickname Drew "Drop It Like Its Hot" Bennett.
    He's a great guy and lets hope he's more productive for your team than he was the last few years with the Titans.

MSRamman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 10titans View Post
    IMO, no he is not worth that amount of money. He really hasn't been effective since 2004. He has a nickname Drew "Drop It Like Its Hot" Bennett.
    He's a great guy and lets hope he's more productive for your team than he was the last few years with the Titans.
    10titans, a good buddy of mine that is a Titans fan told me the same thing. Was he really that bad? I was ribbing him about it and I figured it was just sour grapes on his part. I went with him to the Ravens game in Nashville this year and Bennett had a great game. I, like you, hope then that he is more productive in the horns!

10titans is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MSRamman View Post
    10titans, a good buddy of mine that is a Titans fan told me the same thing. Was he really that bad? I was ribbing him about it and I figured it was just sour grapes on his part. I went with him to the Ravens game in Nashville this year and Bennett had a great game. I, like you, hope then that he is more productive in the horns!
    I think Drew is a great guy!! I think he will do well with your team. He might just need a change of scenery

we are talking about him at gotitans.com. I tried to post a link but i have to have 15 posts in order to do that.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I
    Gotta tell you, I'm more than a little surprised about this one. With this year's thin receiver class, he could have held out for a starting spot somewhere.

It comes as a bit of a surprise that Bennett would choose to land in St. Louis considering
    he might have had options elsewhere as the go-to receiver, but none of that mattered to him.

Bennett said he chose St. Louis because he wanted to be a part of something bigger than any
    individual statistics.

Looks like he wanted to come here...

How about 6í5, Bennett and Joe Klopfenstein 6'5 in the red zone. Come get some! I like it!

viper is offline Registered User

One of the posters on the Titans site said that Bennett dropped 5 passes in 2006. I don't know if thats accurate or not. One thing we have in our favor is that Bulger is one of the best at throwing a very "catchable" ball.
    Last edited by viper; -03-03-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Drew is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I

How about 6í5, Bennett and Joe Klopfenstein 6'5 in the red zone. Come get some! I like it!
    thats exactly what i was thinking and we finally got a player named after me!!!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

WOW this is a thrilling move, losing Curtis now isn't something I'll lose sleep over. We've got two tall big red-zone targets in Bennett and Klopfenstein now - should be nice complements to Holt and Bruce. Throw Steven Jackson in the mix and Bulger has an amazing number of quality targets to throw to! All we need is for the O-line to buy Bulger decent time (and cut down on the sack numbers as we've discussed before) and he'll boom next year! Can't wait to see this offense on the field!

Country is offline Registered User

Bennett by no means is dominant but he is just as solid as Curtis working in the slot.

And 30 million with 10 guaranteed is not all that much, it is a very common deal considering what OG are getting.

Milan is offline Registered User

Does anyone else feel that we're overpaying for a slot receiver? (Didn't read the whole thread)

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really all that thrilled at this signing. Sure, he's the "big, tall reciever' a lot of us wanted, and we need to move since Curtis seems to be all but gone, but don't 'cha think we overpaid? ...I do.

But who do we have to go deep? Who's the deep threat in this trio? 30 mil for a so-so reciever? I'd rather have spent the money on defense and use a late round draft choice for a #3 guy.

I do like the prospect of a big reciever to throw to, but I'm not sold on this as a great deal. Not yet, anyway.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

general counsel is offline Registered User

i dont think that we "overpaid" at all. Lets see what curtis gets. You guys all need to remember one crucial factor. The cap is going up every year. What seems pricey today is cheaper tomorrow. Its not the 30 mill that matters, its 10 million guaranteed dollars. We need to see the cap numbers, but i dont think it looks like much exposure down the road given his durability.

he is the type of player coach wants and i would rather bet on a guy like this remaining productive for 5 years than a 28 year old speedster who for sure isnt getting faster as he gets older. In the new reality of cap dollars, this isnt cheap, but he is a very solid guy and prevents us from overpaying curtis or being in a very bad spot if something happens (god forbid) to holt or bruce.

One more perspective. i would much rather pay this money and have bennett than use the 13 on jarrett or even meachem when we need defense so badly.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Krames41 is offline Registered User

Iím hesitant to call this a good signing yet. I say this because of the money we are paying Bennent, and the amount of time we gave Curtis in the offense this past year. Although Bennet is a statistical upgrade, I thought we spent more time in tight end sets, and focused on running the ball (especially late in the year), which was the right thing to do. We didnít use a lot of multiple receivers sets and throw the ball down field like we did in previous years (which again, I think was the right thing to do). My question isnít the quality of the signing as much as it is will Linehan use him like a 4.5 million dollar receiver? I remind you the amount Kevin Curtis made last year (not nearly that much), if Linehan uses him like he used Curtis, we are just wasting cap room, if Linehan uses more multiple reciever sets, I think that means we will be running the ball less (which is the wrong thing to do). If Linehan is grooming him to be the replacement for Issac Bruce then I think we are downgrading (because he isnít near the talent level of Bruce) which isnít good. Iím eager to see what coach does with Bennet. I think time will tell if this is a good signing, but as of now I personally think we are overpaying for a position that wasnít that important to the offense. Hopefully they use him to keep our aging receivers healthy and to extend their careers. I think another determinant will be the amount of money Curtis gets. I wish Curtis well, and I would like to see him in Detroit, under Martz, as a counter for Williams. If Faulk doesnít resign with us, I would like to see him their too. But as I was saying, time will tell.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My take- good stuff. We pony up for a player who has the capability to be very productive in this system, become the number two Reciever when Bruce hangs them up, and in the mean time will be a nasty red-zone threat and allow us to spread out opposing defenses.

Fingers Crossed, right?

Also, i think we've missed the opinion of one Nick Seiler. Thoughts?

Krames41 is offline Registered User

Yeah, keep fingers crossed is a good term to use. But again, I don't think he is near the reciever Bruce is, so that means we are downgrading in the long run. I like his career TD numbers and and he was once a thounsand yard reciever. Maybe, he will be a good red zone addition, but is he worth the money is my question? We certainly had a great number three reciever for a lot less money and I'm concerned he could someday be a big cap killer.
    Last edited by Krames41; -03-04-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I like his career TD numbers
    Why do you like his TD number but yet you think he will not be a great red zone target?

The money has changed for ever last year, everyone has more cap room or money and will pay more for players. We had a cheaper number three WR until his contract ran out, now Curtis will cost some cash!

As far as the use of Curtis last yearm yeah he had fewer chnaces, but that happens when you have RB with the numbers SJ had. Keep in mind we have a new HC and he wants certain type of players, he got what he wanted 6'5 slot WR, lets see if he uses him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast