r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

St. Louis Rams' Steven Jackson Is Frustrated

St. Louis Rams' Steven Jackson is frustrated

BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/16/2009

Roughly one-third of the way through the season, Steven Jackson ranks fourth in the NFL in rushing (451 yards) and is on pace for 1,443 yards over a 16-game season.

But Jackson isn't happy about his start in 2009.

"It's been a rough one in my opinion," Jackson said. "I've yet to reach the end zone. I have two fumbles on the year. ... So although I've been racking up yards, I've yet to lead this team to victory. And those kinds of mistakes that I've had in the last five games won't help."

Since becoming a starter in 2005, Jackson had not gone more than three consecutive games without scoring a touchdown until now. Even as a rookie backing up Marshall Faulk in 2004, his longest TD drought was four games.

As for the team's fumbling problems, including his two lost fumbles, Jackson said, "I think it's one of those things where we on the field have become so conscious of it and so uptight about it that it kind of has backfired on us in the last five games.

"I'm going to go back to my regular routine of just playing loose, just being myself, and being a playmaker. I have never had a fumbling problem, knock on wood. And I don't think it will be a problem."

Jackson has a pretty good record of ball security, with 20 fumbles (a total that includes fumbles recovered by the Rams) in 1,572 career touches.

INJURY UPDATE

Safety James Butler (knee) and wide receiver Ruvell Martin (hamstring) did not practice Thursday, a strong indication that they probably will sit out Sunday when the Rams play in Jacksonville.

"It's going to be tough to get them to the game," coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

Safety Anthony Smith (Achilles') was listed as limited participation Thursday and isn't expected to play Sunday, either.

There was encouraging news on offensive tackle Jason Smith (knee), cornerback Justin King (knee), and quarterback Kyle Boller (concussion).

King and Boller were listed as full participation Thursday; Smith, who hasn't taken a snap at tackle since the second quarter of the Sept. 20 game at Washington, wasn't even listed on the team's injury report.

Smith got plenty of practice reps Thursday at right tackle.

"He's looked great moving around so far," offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said. "He seems to be moving well. It looks like he's back."

FINE FOR GIBSON SHOVE

The NFL has fined Minnesota offensive tackle Artis Hicks $5,000 for unnecessary roughness for shoving Rams defensive tackle Gary Gibson on a play last weekend that ended Gibson's season because of a broken ankle.

"I don't go out there thinking I'm going to hurt anyone," Hicks told the St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press. "But people get hurt. It's part of the game. It's unfortunate."

Hicks shoved Gibson during a 47-yard pass play from Brett Favre to Sidney Rice in the third quarter of last Sunday's game. No penalty was called on the play.

MIZZOU REUNION

Rams defensive coordinator Ken Flajole goes head-to-head Sunday with Jacksonville offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

Both were on the Bob Stull coaching staff at the University of Missouri in the late 1980s and early '90s.

Koetter was known for his wide-open offense at Mizzou, and also as head coach at Arizona State earlier this decade.

"It's different now," Flajole said. "What Dirk's doing now, he's a little bit more balanced, and he's done a nice job. I know they're not having the year that they felt like they wanted, but you can see he's really done a good job there."

The Jaguars' staff also features defensive line coach Ted Monachino, who was a defensive lineman at Mizzou during part of Flajole's tenure in Columbia.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams' Steven Jackson Is Frustrated

You can't really blame Jackson for not scoring when the team thinks it's in the rules to turn the ball over in the red zone. The touchdowns will come.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Is it just me, or is the fact that he is frustrated about his performance instead of his rep count a breath of fresh air?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    Is it just me, or is the fact that he is frustrated about his performance instead of his rep count a breath of fresh air?
    I think the best thing about the article is that although he is frustrated in not being able to score, he also says he has two fumbles and that he has yet to lead this team to victory. He knows its on him to help this team win, and is taking some of the responsibility for us being winless so far.

A much more mature Steven Jackson compared to the one we have seen in the past. Very much a team leader in my opinion.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    My thoughts to.
    :ramlogo:

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I can't blame the guy for being frustrated. One of the best backs in in the NFL on one of the worst teams.......... so sad

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

The team mentality is finally there instead of me,me ,me and something tells me this team will finish strong. The D is beginning to swallow up the run and if Jax and the rest of the O can figure a way to score early and often, we can make games swing in our favor. I'll keep crossing my fingers on game day. RAAAMS BAAABY!!!