eldfan is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Team Report

USA TODAY

The numbers don't lie, and they give ample evidence why the Rams are 0-4 and appear to be going backward from the progress they made while finishing 7-9 last season.
    As the Rams enter their bye week, they have been outscored 113-46 overall and 79-16 in the first halves of their four games.

They have converted an abysmal 27.9 percent of their third-down opportunities, including 2-for-16 combined in the first half of their last two games.

In their 17-10 loss to Washington on Sunday, the Rams gained 19 yards on 13 first-down plays. Through three quarters, they totaled 99 yards on 41 plays. In the fourth quarter, they were in the red zone three times but scored just 10 points.

In 240 minutes of playing time, the Rams have led for a total of 6:38, and that was early in the first quarter of losses to Philadelphia and the New York Giants in the first two games of the season.

Dropped passes, numerous penalties, and the inability to protect quarterback Sam Bradford has doomed the offense. In Bradford's rookie season, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur constructed an offensive plan that didn't put Bradford at risk. He was sacked 34 times all season. In four games this year, Bradford (18) and A.J. Feeley (one) have been sacked 19 times, which is on pace for 76.

Coming up after the bye are games against Green Bay, Dallas and New Orleans.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo stood by his team.

"I haven't lost any confidence in them," he said Sunday. "They shouldn't lose any confidence in themselves. The schedule is such that the bye week comes at a perfect time. And right now I think it's probably a good thing for us to kind of regroup and come back storming in our next game."

Despite obvious frustrations, Bradford said, "My expectations for this team were extremely high. They still are extremely high. There's still a lot of football to play, and I think there's still a lot of games this football team can win. The fact that we are 0-4, I feel like we should be a better team than last year.

"That's the frustrating part because I think we are a better team. From the outside it doesn't look like it. It doesn't appear like it. We're doing things that don't make us a better team, but I really feel that we have the talent. The way we've practiced at times has shown that we can be a much better team than last year, so it's extremely frustrating."

NOTES, QUOTES

LINEUP WATCH: Left guard Jacob Bell left the game in the first quarter and did not return. Coach Steve Spagnuolo did not address a timetable for Bell after the game, but the sense was he could be sidelined for several weeks. He was replaced by Tony Wragge, who was signed by the Rams on Sept. 5 after the league cut-down to 53 players.

TRENDING: QB Sam Bradford on pass protection: "You can say run three-step, you can say run quick-game, you can get the ball out of your hand quicker, but at some point you've got to be able to throw the ball down the field. In order to do that, you've got to have time to read out the routes because they take time to develop. Hopefully during this bye week, we've got two weeks to figure it out before we play next. But that's one area we definitely need to be better at."

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER NOTES

OG Jacob Bell suffered a hamstring injury in the first quarter and did not return. Bell was to be further evaluated Monday, but the sense was that he could be sidelined for several weeks.

C/G Tony Wragge replaced G Jacob Bell in the first quarter of Sunday's game against Washington and played the remainder of the game. Wragge was signed by the Rams on Sept. 5 after he had been released by the *****.

TE Michael Hoomanawanui suffered a head injury after dropping as pass in the second quarter, and he did not return. Hoomanawanui missed time in training camp after suffering a concussion.

DT Gary Gibson suffered a hip injury in the first quarter against Washington, but he returned to play in the game.

WR Danny Amendola, who has been out since suffering a dislocated elbow in the season opener against Philadelphia, is getting a second opinion after having an MRI exam Friday. Coach Steve Spagnuolo didn't confirm national reports that the issue is in his triceps, although Spagnuolo acknowledged, "We knew there was a lot of damage in there. ... My guess is (his return) will be set back a little bit."

:ramlogo:

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Team Report

Hmmm.. Where do I start ..Lets see, Shurmur constructed an offensive plan that didn't put Bradford at risk? So, what does he think about McD, and how does that invole the offensive line and their protection success, or lack thereof? Why r the sacks allowed so many all of a sudden, all too familiar?What is up with Jacob Bell and Hoomanawanui? Seems like they are getting injured way too often. I am glad Sam is acknowledging that the line as a whole needs to step up and protect him. Well, in another thread some of us were talking about their pathetic performance thus far this season. And I agreed, it may sound ridiculous but OL HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST CONCERN!!! And not starting in the offseason, starting NOW !! It is indeed frustrating to practice with energy, enthused, making plays here and there, only to not experience the same success against the actual opponent. I play sports and for those who don't, I can tell you that it is because practice feels good and you feel like you can carry it over to the games