Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: St. Louis Rams Team Report

eldfan is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Team Report

St. Louis Rams Team Report (USA TODAY)

New coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer have their work cut for them in 2012 as they try to inject life into a moribund offense that was affected by injuries last season.
    One thing is clear: They are glad to be building the offense around quarterback Sam Bradford and know they have to find weapons for him and make sure he is protected.

Fisher has said on several occasions that Bradford's presence was a major factor that made the Rams' job attractive.

"Sam was a big part of the decision," Fisher said. "We think he has a chance to be great. A lot of people around the league believe that. We are going to everything possible to make that happen."

Fisher recalls meeting with Bradford at the combine in 2010. He said, "I remember just about every word he said. He was very, very impressive, sharp, motivated. Hates losing like most elite college players."

Then, after Fisher met with Rams owner Stan Kroenke in Denver four days after the end of the 2011 season, he came to St. Louis for a day and visited with Bradford for nearly two hours at team headquarters.

Said Fisher, "It went way beyond getting acquainted. I didn't need to get him on the board. He knows more offense than I do. We exchanged ideas. I wanted to get a sense of him and the team, his teammates, the pulse, where he thought they were. His injury was a difficult thing, especially with the lack of an offseason, and it being his second year. We covered it. I felt very comfortable as he did when we went different directions."

As Schottenheimer began watching tape of Bradford, he liked what he saw. "Obviously, he's extremely gifted, extremely talented," Schottenheimer said. "As I'm watching the film, getting the sense of how accurate he is with the football and how well he actually moves around and has made plays. That was one of the things that jumped off the film at me. It will be a fun process going through and looking at all the games and just getting a sense of where he's at. Obviously, I've been around a lot of young quarterbacks, but I think this guy's got a chance to be real special."

Now, their task is to get special players around him, in addition to running back Steven Jackson. Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd is a free agent. Danny Amendola will return after missing all but one game with a dislocated elbow. Danario Alexander has the ability to be a playmaker, but has injury issues.

At tight end, Lance Kendricks had too many drops in his rookie season and Mike Hoomanawanui also has problems with injuries.

Still, the biggest question marks are on the offensive line. Guard Jacob Bell, who left Fisher's Titans for the Rams in 2008, isn't expected back. Center/guard Jason Brown might be a salary-cap casualty.

Tackles Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith are young, but have also had injuries. Saffold suffered a torn pectoral muscle last season, while Smith has had two serious concussions in three seasons. Harvey Dahl could end up at tackle instead of guard.

Whatever changes are made in personnel, Jackson is glad to have Fisher as his coach.

"I have played against his teams a lot and they all come with that attitude and a certain level of play," Jackson said. "They have that 'it.' It's hard to explain what that 'it' is to a ... fan. But it's just something about (the way they play) when they go between those lines. Coach Fisher's teams have a certain something that's hard to put a finger on. But I have to assume it's (his) leadership."

NOTES, QUOTES

—It didn't take long for Dave McGinnis to say yes to Jeff Fisher. McGinnis, who coached with Fisher in Tennessee will be an assistant head coach in the truest sense of the title.

"I'm going to be helping in all aspects of the team," McGinnis said. "I'm going to be assisting Jeff, and both coordinators, and the special teams coordinator in a lot of various capacities. ... It's a role that I filled last year there in Nashville for Mike Munchak, and I'm really looking forward to it."

As for how long it took to accept a job when Fisher called, McGinnis said, "Once Jeff got this job and called me, it was instantaneous. I mean, if Jeff wanted me to be with him, I wanted to be with him. He's a guy that is so spot-on with what he's doing in all aspects of it. He just gets it, on every level in this league.

"He's got a confidence about him that is very, very evident when you're around him. He's extremely comfortable in his own skin. He knows what he wants to do. That confidence goes to the players; it goes throughout the building. You know you're going to have a chance week in and week out to get it done on Sunday."

—The quest to hire a new general manager continued when the Rams interviewed Omar Khan, Pittsburgh's director of business and administration. Khan has handled the Steelers' salary cap and contract negotiations, and is believed to be the first candidate that doesn't have a background in personnel evaluation.

He is the 10th known person to have spoken with the Rams. The latest have been San Francisco director of player personnel Tom Gamble and Arizona director of player personnel Steve Keim. Minnesota director of player personnel George Paton has been interviewed twice.

—Fisher appears close to putting the finishing touches on the coaching staff although the only announcements have been offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and assistant head coach Dave McGinnis.

Believed to have been hired are Frank Cignetti Jr., quarterbacks; Ray Sherman, wide receivers Rob Boras, tight ends; Paul Boudreau, offensive line; Mike Waufle, defensive line; John Fassel, special teams; Rock Gullickson, strength and conditioning; Andy Sugarman, offensive quality control; Blake Williams and Brandon Fisher.

Gullickson and Sugarman are believed to be the lone holdovers from Steve Spagnuolo's staff. Williams and Fisher are the sons of the defensive coordinator and head coach. It's possible Williams will coach linebackers. Unknown are the identity of the running backs coach and defensive backs coach.

QUOTE TO NOTE: Fisher: "We have options and a lot of time. We will maximize that. I will say, this will be the last time we'll be picking that high." - Coach Jeff Fisher on plans for the second overall pick in this year's draft.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Rams won a low-level bidding war for offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye, and then abruptly cut him after he failed a physical. Olafioye played two seasons in the CFL and made a name for himself with aggressive play. He made the CFL All-Star team last season and was also finished second in voting for the league's outstanding lineman award.

There were as many as 15 NFL teams interested and the Rams guaranteed $85,000 in base salaries in the first two years of his contract. He agreed to terms Feb. 3, the contract was reported to the league Feb. 6, the contract was disapproved on a technicality Feb. 7, was reported again Feb. 8 and he was waived Feb. 9. The Rams would not comment on what caused Olafioye to fail the physical.

His agent, Dan Vertlieb released a statement saying, "The St. Louis Rams have notified Jovan Olafioye that they have released him from his contract due to their concerns about a medical issue. Given the closing window to explore opportunities in the NFL in Jovan's current CFL contract, he will return to the B.C. Lions for another season after thoroughly addressing his status."

A statement from Olafioye said, "While this news was unexpected, I am very happy to be returning to my family at the BC Lions."

CFL players whose contracts expire have until Feb. 15 each year to sign with an NFL team. However, Olafioye is now in the NFL waiver system and could be claimed by teams Friday.

MEDICAL WATCH: No updates.
    Last edited by eldfan; -02-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.

:ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: St. Louis Rams Team Report

Fisher and Schot are very high on Bradford. I don't want to be reading any excuses later on why our offense is struggling. Use Bradford in the way that he is the most productive, period!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I am telling you guys, now that Bradford will have a consistent system. We will see Bradford explode! If not this year, next year!

In the prime of his career he will be Top 5 or even top 3 QB in the league. I keep saying it mark my words, last year was a fluke in many ways. I can't wait till we move forward and build a Dynasty with Fisher and Bradford! Man, 7 months till the season starts, this sucks!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Fisher and Schot are very high on Bradford. I don't want to be reading any excuses later on why our offense is struggling. Use Bradford in the way that he is the most productive, period!
    I agree. Injuries and lack of playmakers are legitimate drawbacks for a guy looking to be productive, but that only carries you so far. A new regime is in place. We have a high draft pick. Guys will become healthy. The pretenders will be weeded out. Get the job done- any way, any how.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

There should be no excuse this year. If Bradford stays healthy all season(hopefully), he should top the rookie season. We will have a full offseason with QB coach and better protection/weapons.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

The strength and conditioning coach was retained? If there was one person who should have been fired,it should be him

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    The strength and conditioning coach was retained? If there was one person who should have been fired,it should be him
    What makes you say that?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
    There should be no excuse this year. If Bradford stays healthy all season(hopefully), he should top the rookie season. We will have a full offseason with QB coach and better protection/weapons.
    Im hoping for at least 25 TD's out of him next season. It would go a long way for him in shutting up the doubters, otherwise were going to hear the BUST talk. IF he gets injured again, then the knives will really be out.? Knowing Sam Bradford though, he will probably be training as we speak. So were in good hands. This draft should be more about helping him this year. But you never know what will happen on the day. I expect him to have a few more weapons this year.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J-RodRamFan View Post

Why?

What "better weapons" does he have right now? I'll give you LLoyd if he stays, and I like Amendola, but other than that? Salas? Pettis? Gibson? DX? Hendricks? Ugh, ugh, and double ugh.

The line is also still very iffy. So I don't see where the Rams are poised to light the world on fire. Not at this point. Now, if they get a big-time kid like Blackmon and a FA or two, and get some help on the line, I may change my attitude. But right now, this team's offense will go nowhere w/o some major help, and lots of it.

They also absolutely must get another RB. Jackson has proven year after year that he cannot make a full 16 game schedule. He needs a quality backup and future replacement. Now.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Why?

What "better weapons" does he have right now? I'll give you LLoyd if he stays, and I like Amendola, but other than that? Salas? Pettis? Gibson? DX? Hendricks? Ugh, ugh, and double ugh.

The line is also still very iffy. So I don't see where the Rams are poised to light the world on fire. Not at this point. Now, if they get a big-time kid like Blackmon and a FA or two, and get some help on the line, I may change my attitude. But right now, this team's offense will go nowhere w/o some major help, and lots of it.

They also absolutely must get another RB. Jackson has proven year after year that he cannot make a full 16 game schedule. He needs a quality backup and future replacement. Now.
    Bradford did manage to move the offense the year before, with a worse supporting cast than this one. I think you may find that the same players will do a better job in a different offense. Please dont get me wrong though, these players left behind by DeSpags are embarrassing for me, as a Rams fan. So I do realize you could very well be right here. Im just trying to be optimistic about the Rams, RFRH

Why?

I hope your right here. Would you settle for Trent Richardson, or do you have someone else in mind.?

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Bradford did manage to move the offense the year before, with a worse supporting cast than this one. I think you may find that the same players will do a better job in a different offense. Please dont get me wrong though, these players left behind by DeSpags are embarrassing for me, as a Rams fan. So I do realize you could very well be right here. Im just trying to be optimistic about the Rams, RFRH

Yes, I agree that the offense moved in his rookie year but that was a different style o (West Coast) and I would like to see them go back to it. That alone will help. But the receiving corp of the Rams is still pitiful. They can't get seperation, and when they do, they drop it. They need at least two new bodies there.

At the RB position, of course Richardson would be good but between him, an OT or a WR, which way do they go? I can see any of the above in rd 1 of the draft but a lot of help will need to come through FA.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Why?

I would agree with your assessment on most of these guys. Gibson stinks and should be unloaded. DX is an injury waiting to happen. Yet I think many fans- count me among them are depending on three things:

1) That Jeff Fisher and his staff will get more production out of guys like Kendricks- a talented yet inconsistent player who strikes me as being soft.
    2) That we will upgrade our current roster with a couple of good FA pickups and a solid draft.
    3) That we will stay healthy. (I get Pettis and Salas confused, but I believe it was Pettis who showed decent improvement before an injury ended his season).

Certainly no guarantees here, but I'd say tangible improvement is very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I would agree with your assessment on most of these guys. Gibson stinks and should be unloaded. DX is an injury waiting to happen. Yet I think many fans- count me among them are depending on three things:

1) That Jeff Fisher and his staff will get more production out of guys like Kendricks- a talented yet inconsistent player who strikes me as being soft.
    2) That we will upgrade our current roster with a couple of good FA pickups and a solid draft.
    3) That we will stay healthy. (I get Pettis and Salas confused, but I believe it was Pettis who showed decent improvement before an injury ended his season).

Certainly no guarantees here, but I'd say tangible improvement is very possible.
    Actually it was Salas who showed signs before the injury. I agree that improvement is possible. In fact, how can you not improve when you're one of the worst, if not THE worst offense in the NFL? It will get better, how much depends on the offseason and injuries.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Why?

That's what I'm saying. This draft will only point to two directions, some play makers for Bradford, or some heavy protection for Bradford. The excuse last year was lack of weapons, terrible protection, short off-season, no QB coach, and ankle injury after the GB game. I'm not saying we're going to have some dominant offense this year, but this draft and new coaching staff should surely improve our offense; which is why I say there should be no excuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast