throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Torry Holt frustrated

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Nov. 01 2008
    In 10 highly productive seasons with the Rams, wide receiver Torry Holt never
    has complained publicly about not getting the football.

But on Friday, he said he felt like he was getting phased out of the offense.

"At times I do," Holt said. "At times, I feel like there's a situation where
    I'm being phased. Who knows? We've still got (nine) more games left, and we'll
    see how those (nine) games go. And then, once the season's over with, come back
    and ask me and see how I feel."

When Jim Haslett took over for Scott Linehan as Rams coach on Sept. 29, he
    stressed that he wanted to get the ball in the hands of the team's top
    playmakers, mentioning running back Steven Jackson, rookie wide receiver Donnie
    Avery and Holt. But three games into Haslett's tenure, it doesn't look like
    things have changed.

Over the past three games, Holt has caught 11 passes for 102 yards, with no
    touchdowns. In the first four games, under Linehan, Holt caught 15 passes for
    187 yards and one touchdown.

When asked if he was surprised about not getting the ball as much, Holt said,
    "Yeah, absolutely surprised. But I guess they feel that Donnie's obviously been
    stepping up and making some of these plays. And they want to continue to get
    him the football. So I've just got to go out there and continue to try to keep
    some bounce, and try to play and do what I can to help our football team win."

For his part, Haslett took Holt's comments in stride.

"I would be disappointed in Torry if he felt that he couldn't contribute to
    this team," Haslett said. "We'll continue to try to find ways to get Torry the
    ball."

Through seven games this season, Holt has 26 catches for 289 yards. At that
    pace, the seven-time Pro Bowler would finish the season with 59 catches for 661
    yards, far below his career averages. The NFL's most productive receiver this
    decade, both in terms of catches and yards, Holt has averaged 94 catches for
    1,384 yards over the past eight seasons.

"You go from getting a million opportunities and touches that I've had in the
    past to not nearly as many, yeah, it's definitely a sense of frustration," Holt
    said.

Even so, Holt still has had more passes thrown to him (48) than any player on
    the team this season. Avery has had 30 passes thrown his way.

Holt, who was wearing jersey No. 9 (his high school number) in practice Friday,
    said he has not brought up his concerns to the coaching staff. "No, I don't
    feel like I have to," Holt said. "I don't feel like I need to speak to anybody
    about that. Like I've mentioned to you earlier, my body of work speaks for
    itself. So I just keep working. I'm not going to make a stink about it, or make
    a fuss about it. I just continue to go with the flow, and once again, just try
    to help out this football team where I can and as much as I can."

Later, Holt stressed to a reporter that he wanted to keep things positive and
    wasn't trying to be a distraction. Friday is Holt's regularly scheduled
    weekday media session. All of his answers were in response to questions from
    reporters; it's not as if he came out with an agenda.

Holt probably doesn't run like he did as a rookie; knee problems the previous
    two seasons haven't helped. But a veteran NFC scout told the Post-Dispatch
    earlier this season that he still felt Holt was moving well, gaining separation
    and running good routes.

"I don't think you can go from what I did last year, the year before, to come
    off of knee surgery and then all of a sudden come to this year and just be
    (crummy)," Holt said. "I don't think that. I don't think it happens that way.
    Not with the way I work and how passionate I am about the game of football."

Holt said he has experienced some tightness and soreness in his knee at times,
    including Sunday's game at New England. But overall, the knee hasn't been much
    of an issue this season.

"It's not like I'm in the training room every day getting treatment or
    anything," Holt said. "Physically, I feel good. I haven't missed a practice."

btimsah Guest

Re: St. Louis Rams Torry Holt frustrated

I was kind of wondering about him. I think he's also suffered from the Linehan era. I'd say watch out for him as the season progresses and Avery gets more attention.

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Torry Holt frustrated

For Torry, it's time to use your route running skills more than relying on speed.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!