throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Torry Holt, Orlando Pace have same agent

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/12/2009

If the Rams decide to restructure the contracts of offensive tackle Orlando Pace and wide receiver Torry Holt, their hopes for salary cap relief now lie in the hands or make that calculator of one man at the negotiating table.

That would be agent Kennard McGuire. McGuire has represented Pace since 2005, when he negotiated a seven-year, $52.9 million deal that included a Rams-record $15 million signing bonus. And McGuire has just added Holt to his client list, a move that will be finalized this week.

While no pushover at the negotiating table, McGuire has a reputation as an agent who gets deals done. His NFL client list includes Cincinnati wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Denver wide receiver Brandon Marshall, Denver cornerback (and former Ram) Dre' Bly, Dallas safety Ken Hamlin, Green Bay defensive tackle (and former Ram) Ryan Pickett and New England defensive tackle Vince Wilfork.

McGuire is expected to meet with Rams officials, specifically new executive vice president of football operation-chief operating officer Kevin Demoff, at the NFL scouting combine next week in Indianapolis to discuss courses of action with Holt and Pace.

In an effort to clear up salary cap space to be active in free agency, the Rams have three courses of action regarding Pace and Holt: release them, trade them or restructure their contracts. Cutting or trading Holt would free up $8 million; doing the same to Pace would free $6 million. Restructuring their contracts wouldn't free as much money but still could save the Rams millions.

Meanwhile, negotiations are about to hit high gear with the Rams and cornerback Ron Bartell, who is scheduled for free agency Feb. 27. Demoff recently spoke to Bartell's agent, in part reassuring him that re-signing Bartell remains a Rams priority. Demoff and the agent, Jeffrey Griffin, are expected to meet at the combine.

Bartell is coming off a career year in which he led the team in pass breakups (20), the most for a Rams player since 2004. According to film review by STATS LLC, Bartell finished the 2008 season with the best opponent's passer rating in the NFC West among division cornerbacks.

The quarterback passer rating when Bartell was targeted last season was 60.2. The second-best total among NFC West cornerbacks was logged by San Francisco's Walt Harris (79.8), according to STATS LLC.

In other news, Ron Milus, who has been either the head or assistant secondary coach with the Rams the past three seasons, has taken a position as one of the secondary coaches with the Carolina Panthers.

maineram Guest

Re: St. Louis Rams Torry Holt, Orlando Pace have same agent

Interesting turn of events with Holt. Haven't read any info that he didn't have an agent, and or was changing agents.

Maineram -

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This is why lawyers really can't be agents. Could there be a clearer example of a conflict of interest?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bartell is coming off a career year in which he led the team in pass breakups (20), the most for a Rams player since 2004. According to film review by STATS LLC, Bartell finished the 2008 season with the best opponent's passer rating in the NFC West among division cornerbacks.

The quarterback passer rating when Bartell was targeted last season was 60.2. The second-best total among NFC West cornerbacks was logged by San Francisco's Walt Harris (79.8), according to STATS LLC.
    Holy Crap!!!

I knew he had a good year, but I didn't know it was that good!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Ya our little Ronnie Boy finally grew up to be a big boy corner back that we all thought he would.... lol

Mooselini Guest

Bartell had an amazing year. We have to resign him. If we have to lose Pace for him, I'm all for it. Really...I am.

I love Pace and Holt. I've been watching them since I can remember watching Rams football. But I know I've grown up and aged, and I know these guys have also. It'll be a sad day when we let these guys go, but it has to be done eventually. Holt's jersey will go up on my corner of fame jerseys haha.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/12/2009

Meanwhile, negotiations are about to hit high gear with the Rams and cornerback Ron Bartell, who is scheduled for free agency Feb. 27. Demoff recently spoke to Bartell's agent, in part reassuring him that re-signing Bartell remains a Rams priority. Demoff and the agent, Jeffrey Griffin, are expected to meet at the combine.
    Glad to see that ready to get going hope that they make that deal fast.
    :ramlogo:

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Holt and Pace, both going to Phili for one of their first round picks or is that just the rotoworld talking... ya its the rotoworld