zgare is offline Registered User

Stadium Ranking Categories for CVC and Rams Analysis

Since CVC and the Rams have to determine what they can do to put the Edward Jones Dome in the top quarter of stadiums in the NFL, I thought I'd try to determinge what catgories would determine that. When others rank stadiums, they always seem to add things about the fans or the team, such as electric atmosphere. Those things are pretty much all determined by how good the team is on the field, and how long they have played at a high level. Then they cite Lambeu and Foxboro. They have nothing to do with the actual physical facility -- but that is what CVC and the Rams must rank. They can't just rank on age -- who has the oldest concrete. They need to be a little more scientific and rankd category by category.
    How about these for categories:
    1. Average distance from each fan to the center of the field. Measure the distance from each seat in the stadium to the center of the field, add them up, and divided by the number of seats.
    2. Physical Environment control for the Fans -- temperature, wind, light, average seat width and padding.
    3. Number of concessions and restrooms per seat. Average distance of concessions and restrooms from each seat.
    4. Number of club seats and luxury skyboxes.
    5. Parking nearby -- average distance a fan must walk from the closest XX/2 parking spaces to the stadium. XX= number of seats in the stadium. (assume 2 fans per car)
    6. Hotels nearby -- average distance a fan must walk from the closest XX/50 hotel rooms to the stadium. (assume 1/50 of fans use a hotel room.)
    7. Restaurants nearby -- average distance a fan must walk from the closest XX/20 restaurants to the stadium. (assume 1/20 of fans use a restaurant.)
    8. Tailgating nearby -- average distance a fan must walk from the closest XX/10 tailgateable spaces to the stadium. (assume 1/10 of fans tailgate.)
    9. Stadium interior emenities -- Jumbo screens number and size, other electronic info, banners/honors, party zones/restuarants.

ZGare

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Stadium Ranking Categories for CVC and Rams Analysis

I think this would be a fair approach. I would break up stadium interior amenities into several separate categories, since these are things that could most easily be upgraded. Maybe you would create separate categories for visual experience (distance to field, number of screens, size, picture quality), audio experience (acoustics, PA system, music), atmospherics (banners, areas for cheerleaders in front of each section), etc.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I'm sure they have some criteria in place already, correct. You would think many of the benchmarks would be directly associated with making an owner or city money.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure average fan distance to center of the field is a good barometer, it just doesn't seem relevant unless a stadium's seats are so far away you can't see.

Parking and tailgating nearby, probably makes for attractive areas, but also probably doesn't affect stadium quality unless they are somehow connected to the stadium. Those aren't necessarily controllable by the stadium nor do they derive income from it.

Like Tyler, I would assume that it would be dependent upon how the stadium generates revenue, so a parking lot owned by another entity 3 blocks away wouldn't improve stadium quality.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

They had a list of the categories years ago, I remember reading something. Maybe it was just a speculation by a reporter, don't know.

At that time the categories as I remember were seat width, width of the isles for moving fans, luxury boxes, signs, stadium clubs, number of concession stands and bathrooms (both involve speed at selling concessions). They negotiated things a few years ago and the Rams got what they needed at that time. I'm 100% confident the Rams will make a list of requirements and they will negotiate from there.

I would imagine a major change in the clubs currently in existence. They would like fans to get to the dome an hour before the game to eat and have a few drinks versus tailgating. They would also like fans to stick around in the club post-game instead of spending their money on the Landing or drinking / eating back at their car.