BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Staff Shakeup Continues

Staff Shakeup Continues
    Friday, January 18, 2008
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The Rams continued the shakeup of their coaching staff Friday when they made a few moves toward the offseason changes that many had suspected.

In the first order of business, Art Valero was officially named the team’s running backs coach as the team parted ways with Wayne Moses. Valero will also have the title of assistant head coach upon arrival inSt. Louis .

In addition, the team also released secondary coach Willy Robinson, creating another opening in addition to the vacant offensive coordinator position. The Rams also hired Steve Loney as offensive line coach, replacing Paul Boudreau (see related story)

Valero comes to the Rams from Tampa Bay , where he held a similar position. Valero was technically hired a couple of weeks ago, but his position wasn’t determined until Friday morning.

Like Loney, Valero goes back a long way with head coach Scott Linehan. That pair worked together twice in the college ranks, once at Louisville and again at Idaho in the early 1990s.

“He has coached running backs now for four years and had Cadillac (Williams) down there,” Linehan said. “He was another one I wanted to hire when I first got here. He and I go back a long time together and I feel he has the experience in all of these areas to help our overall team. Whoever I hire as a coordinator is going to benefit of having guys there that kind of know philosophically what we’d like to get done. I think that’s a big benefit.”

Moses worked as the running backs coach for both of Linehan’s seasons in St. Louis , including a 2006 season in which running back Steven Jackson led the league in yards from scrimmage.

Robinson was in charge of a secondary that had its ups and downs in his two seasons in St. Louis. In 2006, Robinson’s group finished eighth in the NFL in passing yards allowed at 189.7. This season, the group dropped to 21st, allowing 225.8 yards per game.

Robinson’s 2007 season was complicated when he sustained a torn quadriceps in the tunnel at halftime of the Cincinnati game in Week 15.

There is no immediate replacement for Robinson, but Linehan indicated he will be meeting with some coaches at next week’s Senior Bowl. Ron Milus is currently the assistant secondary coach and could get a look for the position.

Meanwhile, the Rams are continuing in their search for an offensive coordinator. The team re-assigned former coordinator Greg Olson a couple of weeks ago. Olson was also given permission to seek other jobs and is believed to have discussed positions with Tampa Bay and Detroit though the capacity is unknown.

Linehan has spoken with a number of candidates for the vacancy including formal interviews with Cincinnati ’s Ken Zampese and Atlanta ’s Hue Jackson. Linehan said nothing is imminent on that job front, but he would like to have something completed early next week.

“It could carry into next week,” Linehan said Friday afternoon. “I think once the weekend is complete I think early next week I would have somebody in place. I am still talking to some guys. I have formally interviewed a couple of guys. I have done several phone interviews to gauge interest and find out more about people. I have called a lot of people on behalf of these coaching candidates. Our number one goal is to come away with the best fit right now but also not hurry or rush into anything. It’s just such a critical hire.”

Linehan will be leaving for the Senior Bowl in Mobile , Ala. on Sunday morning and said some discussions could take place there though evaluating the players there is his top priority.

Linehan acknowledged he has had discussions with former head coaches Cam Cameron and Brian Billick, but it under the impression that both are on less of a strict timetable to get something done.

“These two guys are two weeks out of being head coaches of their teams,” Linehan said. “Right now that is kind of where their mindset is. I can certainly relate to how that could feel. I understand it. That’s a couple of guys that quite frankly don’t need to jump into anything right away and are right to take their time. As of right now, I am still exploring all of the possibilities.”

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Staff Shakeup Continues

Why is it I never sleep well when an idiot is in charge...I haven't had a good nights sleep since 2000
    guess who was put in charge in 2000?

Anyhow, Is linehan seriously looking at Billick as OC? Cameron perhaps, maybe, might make a good OC. But Billick, now that would be a disaster! Seriously there I think would be the CLASH of EGOs. Neither are any good getting at picking talent. Case in point how many QBs where successful with the Ravens? Both are overly stubborn, KNOWING, the game so well that they can't be wrong; so stubborn to not realize something isn't working and refusing to change course. Sadly, I don't think either Linehan/Billick are flexible enough in their thinking or adaptive enough to work with what they got to make an effective team, but are hell bent on forcing a system on a team that the team hasn't the players to run--kinda like going running a 3/4 defense without solid players at key possitions

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

Cam Cameron ran a successful offense at San Diego. He failed at Miami, but some guys just aren't meant to be head coaches (Is Linehan one of them?) I'm still down with Cameron. His style is different the Linehan's, but that's OK. It'd be more of the GSOT than Linehan's grind 'em out style.

But I agree 100% on Billick. He had a good running game most of the time there, but never had a good QB. The Kyle Boller project went way to long as did the idea of Chris Redman. They never had real stand out receivers. In fact, Todd Heap was the go to guy there forever and he's the tight end. The Ravens won on defense and that was all Rex Ryan.

My biggest worry is Art Valero. The offensive line was horrible -- just horrible -- when he was coaching it in Arizona.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

guess who was put in charge in 2000?
    Actually, Shaw and Zygmunt go back much farther than 2000.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Actually, Shaw and Zygmunt go back much farther than 2000.
    Actually, I think he making a George Bush joke.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

lol.... i think art valero will be a solid addition as well as steve loney... we need a solid secondary coach though

Mooselini is offline Registered User

If he hires Cameron or Billick my confidence level will shoot up high. I mean, even if we dont make playoffs, the owners are keeping Linehan at a .500 season. With Cameron or Billick as our OC's...we could very well exceed a .500 season.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I don't like Billick. I think his many years with the Ravens shows his issues with offenses. I don't even think he can ID a good QB. Defense carried them the entire time.

See the News about Anthony Hargrove?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    I don't like Billick. I think his many years with the Ravens shows his issues with offenses. I don't even think he can ID a good QB. Defense carried them the entire time.

See the News about Anthony Hargrove?
    I agree about Billick,take away Ray Lewis and they don't even get to a Super Bowl,as for Hargrove there is a thread in the NFL news section about him,what an a**hole he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I agree about Billick,take away Ray Lewis and they don't even get to a Super Bowl,as for Hargrove there is a thread in the NFL news section about him,what an a**hole he is.
    Yes! 100% agreement on the suck-ti-tude of Billick. The Ravens were never an offensive team. Do not hire him.

I didn't read this Hargrove article. Can someone fill me in?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

NJRam you got it, I was picking on the villiage idiot who became President; sadly I still wouldn't have slept sound if Gore won either...and the way things look, it'll be at least another 4 years of restless sleep regardless who gets in.

Camron was handed a bad hand in Miami. If the Rams had it bad, I couldn't see anything that worked with the Dolphines on either side of the ball. though am sure a Dolphines fan could pointout one or two things.

Still perhaps Camron like Martz is best suited for OC then a HC. For those students of history, its a long tale of woe when a general was promoted beyond his ability. Still with Billick that is one re-tread that would be more a liability then an asset for the Rams.

And should Linehan fail in 08 (highly possible) on a top 10 list of WHO NOT TO HIRE LIST, Billick would be near the top. Fact is the Rams as well as the rest of the NFL need to stop digging fossils, has-beens, and re-treads and move on to a new generation of coachs.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-19-2008, 03:35 PM