r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Stafford Practices With Lions Tuesday

Stafford practices with Lions Tuesday
    1 hour, 15 minutes ago

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP)—Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz wasn’t about to tip his hand about the recovery of quarterback Matt Stafford.

Stafford wasn’t much more forthcoming himself as the Lions returned to practice Tuesday after their bye week.

The rookie quarterback has missed the last two games with a knee injury, and with backup Daunte Culpepper (hamstring) also at less than 100 percent, Schwartz is going to make the St. Louis Rams try to prepare for Stafford, Culpepper and third-stringer Drew Stanton.

“Absolutely nothing,” said Schwartz, when asked what he would reveal about Stafford’s participation in Tuesday’s practice. “I do think the bye came at a good time for getting people healthier, and everyone was able to at least do something, but that’s as far as I will go.”

Stafford took part in the individual drills that are open to the media, but acknowledged that he wasn’t fully involved in the full-team portion of the session.

“I was limited,” he said. “I didn’t get all the reps, but I took a few. This is the most I’ve done on it, and it felt pretty good.”

Stafford, though, knows that he’s been down this road before. The last time he tried to go through most of a practice, the knee swelled and he had to have a second MRI.

Stafford’s biggest target, Calvin Johnson, is also recovering from a knee injury. He was limited to playing catch on the sidelines with a Lions staffer during the early portion of practice.

“I did exactly as much as coach said I did,” Johnson said. “I feel a lot better than I did a week ago, so I’m definitely optimistic, but I’m not positive. I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.”

Schwartz was equally close-mouthed about the left guard position, which was being manned by longtime tackle Jon Jansen in early drills Tuesday. Daniel Loper and Manny Ramirez have split time at the position in Detroit’s first six games.

“I’ve never played anything but tackle in an NFL game, but I’ve practiced all over the line,” said Jansen, an 11-year veteran. “I’m anxious to take any opportunity I can to get on the field.”

The move puts Jansen next to left tackle Jeff Backus, his college teammate at Michigan.

“It’s great playing next to Jeff, because I know him so well and we’ve worked together,” Jansen said.

The pair played together until Jansen finished his college career in 1998.

“I’m excited to be out there next to Jon,” Backus said. “The last time we played on an offensive line was 10 or 11 years at Michigan. I know what kind of player he was then, and I know he wants to show people that he can still be that type of player now.”

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Stafford Practices With Lions Tuesday

Schwartz is going to make the St. Louis Rams try to prepare for Stafford, Culpepper and third-stringer Drew Stanton.
    Please who gives a rat a#% about who they are going to start? Who ever it is we will have to make plays IMO there is nothing to gain from it.
    :ramlogo:

Avery and Burton is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Please who gives a rat a#% about who they are going to start? Who ever it is we will have to make plays IMO there is nothing to gain from it.
    Agreed 100%.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

if Calvin Johnson plays, whoever plays at QB will have the same game plan...Throw to Calvin Johnson.
    Schwartz cant kid anyone by trying to be mysterious over who the starting QB will be.

longfan is offline Registered User

Its information... why the hostility ??

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

at the risk of not being very nice i can say i'd like it if calvin johnson sat this one out. whether or culpepper or stafford isn't as big a deal, both guys have their positives and negatives and can make plays.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

If Johnson sits out and we still lose......, =X
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I want to know when Detroit left the discussion of being one of the worst teams in the league. I know they won a game but other teams that have won are still considered among the worst but I hardly ever hear Detroit mentioned for the worst team in the NFL debate. Hopefully the Rams will put them back in that debate this week regardless of who is starting at QB because if they don't win this week an 0-16 season is very likely for the Rams this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is all about the games before the game that's all.

locazn is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    LOL so true...who do they think they are..brady or manning?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Neither Stafford nor Culpepper have done anything to be a concern. This game will come down to whether or not the Rams shoot themselves in the foot...... yet again.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The Lions have scored 19 or more points 4x. The Rams 1x. To win this game, the Rams must at minimum match their best scoring performance of the season!

Maybe the Rams should dress in the Gator colors. Stafford seemed to fold like a napkin against Gator defenses.