evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Lightbulb Stan Kroenke and Free Agency

Every time a big-name FA or trade possibility comes up, I've always seen references to the "ownership situation" and now, "Stan Kroenke." Before, it was "well, they can't spend so much on players because the ownership situation is in flux" and now it's "with Stan Kroenke taking over, maybe he'll open up his wallet!"

I have to point out my confusion as to why I keep seeing Kroenke's name brought up when it comes to free agent acquisitions. Having more money as an owner has nothing to do with the salary cap. I've never bought all this talk about the FO being "hindered" in the limbo between owners, and our FO people have said the same. In the past, the Rams have always spent up to the cap; they just didn't made very good decisions on how to spend it.

This past offseason was very weak, due to the CBA problem. A lot of unrestricted free agents became restricted free agents. There weren't very many players out there considered in-the-prime or about-to-breakout.

Billy Devaney and the rest of the front office have been very persistent in letting go of the old and bringing in the new. I may be wrong, but I don't think it was them being put on a money leash; more like they wanted to be patient and rebuild these Rams the right way.

Year One involved cleaning out the washed-up vets and over-priced players. The first stage of the rebuilding... refreshing the roster with younger players and letting them get some hard-earned experience points. That continues into Year Two now. There are some established core players (Jackson, Laurinaitis, Long, Atogwe) who will own the locker room and lead this team forward.

Same goes for the coaches - many last year were "rookies" at their respective positions. Spagnuolo as a head coach, Shurmur as an OC, Flajole as a DC. All three guys have paid their dues and come from solid coaching (and winning) backgrounds.

Now, the CBA is upon us. Who knows what will happen - but I highly doubt either side (NFL owners vs. players) will want to give up the money that will be lost in a lockout...

Which brings me back to my original point - there should be a fertile field of Free Agency in 2011. The Rams will be one of the teams with the most Cap space next offseason. If I remember correctly, Kevin Demoff said the Rams would be among the top 3 in (assumed) cap space next year.

I can already see the posts now... "because of Kroenke taking hold, the Rams are finally spending at will and bringing in big name players!" No... cap space has nothing to do with the owner; it's because Devaney and Demoff know what they're doing. 2011 Free Agency will be the money time, and it falls right into their laps in the rebuilding process.

If all goes well, the Rams should be playoff bound in '11.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Stan Kroenke and Free Agency

I agree completely.... although I hate waiting... and maybe if we pick up a #1 WR through free agency we will pick a different position in the draft.

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

I agree wholeheartedly. This was evident as early as the end of training camp last year.

But of course, it won't be appreciated what they did until they get to the playoffs with they're rebuilt team.

I hope Kroenke and the fans are patient. It's coming. It most certainly is coming.
    Semper Fi!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I just hope Billy D and Spags are able to secure another year in St. Louis, so we can see their plan to fruition.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -08-31-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I just hope Billy D and Spags are able to secure another year in St. Louis, so we can see their plan to fruition.
    They'll be here .. Does anyone really think Stan wasn't consulted when Devaney and subsequently Spags was brought on board? If we aren't devastated by injuries again this year, we will likely surprise a few teams. I'm hoping one of them will be the Whiners. How sweet it would be to beat the snot out of them at least once !!

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    This past offseason was very weak, due to the CBA problem. A lot of unrestricted free agents became restricted free agents. There weren't very many players out there considered in-the-prime or about-to-breakout.

Billy Devaney and the rest of the front office have been very persistent in letting go of the old and bringing in the new. I may be wrong, but I don't think it was them being put on a money leash; more like they wanted to be patient and rebuild these Rams the right way.

Year One involved cleaning out the washed-up vets and over-priced players. The first stage of the rebuilding... refreshing the roster with younger players and letting them get some hard-earned experience points. That continues into Year Two now. There are some established core players (Jackson, Laurinaitis, Long, Atogwe) who will own the locker room and lead this team forward.

Same goes for the coaches - many last year were "rookies" at their respective positions. Spagnuolo as a head coach, Shurmur as an OC, Flajole as a DC. All three guys have paid their dues and come from solid coaching (and winning) backgrounds.
    Excellent points!! The "cream" should begin rising to the top this year ..