Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HUbison

Thread: Starks jumps right in with Rams

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Starks jumps right in with Rams

By Jim Thomas

After agreeing to terms on a one-year deal Wednesday with the Rams, veteran offensive tackle Max Starks jumped right into the water Thursday.

“It’s been a little bit of swimming,” Starks joked after his first practice as a Ram. “But everything’s good. The good thing is there’s a lot of carryover in terminology from what I’m used to in Pittsburgh because (Paul) Boudreau’s familiar with it. So it’s a little bit easier (learning) curve than I’m sure it could be had I been thrown into a West Coast offense.”

After nine seasons with the Steelers, Starks signed with San Diego as a free agent this past offseason but was released during the final cutdowns. Since then, he has been training in Arizona while he waited for the phone to ring.

“Max is an experienced tackle,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s played a lot of plays in this league and can still play. We just brought him in for a workout (Tuesday) and really liked his workout. He’s been working very hard since being released.

“You can’t have enough experience on your offensive line. We’ll get him ready to play in different packages and get him ready to back up if we need him.”

Because of Starks’ experience and the terminology carryover he mentioned, it’s possible he could be game-ready very quickly, perhaps as early as this Sunday in Dallas.

“I mean, football’s football,” Fisher said. “You relate the terminology to the terminology you’re used to. He’s a quick learner. He’s very experienced.”

CROWDED ROOM

The additions of Starks, and earlier in the week Mike Person, gives the Rams 12 offensive linemen on the active roster and 13 overall when you include Sean Hooey of the practice squad.

“This is the first time I’ve seen this many guys,” Starks said. “To see 12, it’s like wow. We’ve got a lot of extra bodies, it’s like training camp almost.”

When asked if there were enough chairs in the offensive line meeting room, Starks joked, “I sat on some boxes earlier.”

With Rodger Saffold likely to be sidelined for the next several weeks, the Rams need some depth at offensive tackle.

“We’re just making sure that we’ve got numbers there for back-ups and that kind of thing,” Fisher said. “It’s a little unusual that we carry 12 on the active, but you’re probably going to see more than the normal deactivated on Sundays.”

SPEAKING OF PERSON

Like Starks, Person is trying to grasp a new playbook as quickly as possible. The difference is that Person — a third-year pro — has played in only one NFL regular-season game as opposed to Starks’ 123, which makes Person’s task more difficult.

After playing in Seattle’s season opener as a “big” tight end, Person was released by the Seahawks and claimed on waivers Monday by the Rams.

“I guess it just came down to personnel,” Person said. “They felt like they needed another D-lineman and let me go.”

Although he didn’t appear in any games, Person spent all of 2012 in Seattle and came into the league in 2011 as a seventh-round draft pick by San Francisco. Now he’s in St. Louis, so one more stop (Arizona) and he’ll have the entire NFC West covered.

“He’s got versatility,” Fisher said. “He can play all the positions. He’s a smart guy, he’s a tough guy, and we like what we saw on film.”

INJURY UPDATE

Seven of the 10 players who were listed on the Rams’ Wednesday injury report were full participation on Thursday. That group included: DE Chris Long (hip), DE William Hayes (hip), DE Eugene Sims (foot), CB Cortland Finnegan (nose), OG Chris Williams (foot), S Darian Stewart (thigh), and RB Daryl Richardson (foot).

All seven of those players were held out of practice Wednesday, and Richardson was in a walking boot.

Not practicing Thursday were OT Saffold (knee) and TE Mike McNeill (chest). Also, CB Quinton Pointer (thigh) is no longer on the team. He was waived Thursday to make room for Starks.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Starks jumps right in with Rams

Hmmm, on Wednesday, Jim Thomas says...

Rams signed OT Max Starks, formerly of the Chargers, to a one-year contract.

Starks, 31, was in for a workout with the Rams on Tuesday. He was joined by fellow veteran Demetress Bell and undrafted rookie R.J. Dill at the tryout. With RT Rodger Saffold (MCL) sidelined for a couple weeks, the Rams needed a No. 3 tackle behind starters Jake Long and Joe Barksdale. Starks looked finished in the preseason when he couldn't beat out King Dunlap in San Diego.

Sept. 18 - 6:16 PM
    Source:
    "Starks looked finished???" Not sure if I'm reading this correctly.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmmm, on Wednesday, Jim Thomas says...

"Starks looked finished???" Not sure if I'm reading this correctly.
    I think he meant his time in San Diego. As in....

Starks (chance to make the Chargers roster) looked finished.
    RealRam and laram0 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's hope Mr Starks translates to MAX Protection!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Let's hope Mr Starks translates to MAX Protection!
    Will settle for STABLE, ADEQUATE protection...heavy emphasis on STABLE. Saffold is a perpetual gimp.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Wasn't Barry Richardson the Rams' starter last year? Yeah, I'm just fine with this signing.