Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Start Quick and Bailey

g tha problem is offline Registered User

Start Quick and Bailey

Now that we are pretty much out of the playoff race, why not start Quick and Bailey? Pettis has good hands but never seems to get open, or YAC and at times I forget he is on the field.

Givens is just ugh. So much potential from last year, but we are seeing nothing but drops and lazy routes this year. If all he can do is run a fade then he needs to ride the bench.

Who knows whether the Rams will draft a WR high, but can we finally see some new starters? I'm sure the production can't get any worse with Quick and Bailey. They can't just rely on the running game to carry the O for the rest of the season without trying something new.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Start Quick and Bailey

My guess is that we will definitely see more of these guys in the coming weeks, although I'll stop short of saying they should start. As stated in another thread, the receivers/tight ends in my opinion have much to show to convince me they are a part of the long-term solution here. Too many drops and not enough production. Granted, playing with a back-up QB is difficult, but that is the time guys should be elevating their game, not disappearing or failing to hang onto the football.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the idea of starting Quick and Bailey. We need to get an idea of what we have, and I think we have a pretty good idea when it comes to Givens and Pettis.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quick seems to really be coming on lately and his blocking is tremendous. All the coaches rave about his blocking. Bailey runs great routes to get separation and catches balls that hit his hands. I think they should get the start now and I think they will be our starters next season.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    I don't think Givens is a bust per se I think he is just having growing pains. I truly believe he still has a chance to become a big play deep threat that can help our team.
    SWFCRAM likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As a fourth round pick, Givens certainly is not a bust. I still think he has potential to be a good No. 2 WR. However, at this point, I'd like to see whether Quick and/or Bailey might be a better option.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I concur, let's see what they got and can bring to the table.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Totally agree. I do not think Bailey has dropped a pass yet, (catchable or not), and he's pound for pound the toughest player on the Rams IMO. Quick is a beast - see that hit he took yesterday? - and looks to me like he's coming around. Givens inconsistency frustrates me, but as AV says, he is a fourth rounder.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't think we need to ask, we are clearly seeing a shift in playing time to Quick and Bailey over Pettis. As far as sitting Givens, not sure I'm going that far. Bradford is out and that has clearly changed who is the favorite target or safety blanket.

Givens has had two back to back poor games but he is young just like Tavon and the rest. He needs time to keep developing. I say the only guy that has maxed out is Pettis. I like what the Rams are doing with Givens, Quick and Bailey since they bye week. Quick and Bailey are now getting most of the reps that Pettis had and that works for me. If Givens keeps playing poor it will be wide open next year for Quick and Bailey to become one and two, The biggest issue is Sam has no chemistry with either.

Quick has just under 300 yards and two TDs, 500 yards and 4 TDs would not be to bad for someone that did not get many targets. He also has a 17.9 yards per catch!

Bailey has yet to drop a pass and looks really smooth out there. All he does is catch everything thrown his way. Fisher said before the bye he would get mover reps and he has. They have to like what they are seeing, I know I am!

Pettis has only 5 catches since Sam went down.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-02-2013 at 07:32 PM.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Although I agree we should use Quick and Bailey more now that the season is over to get them more experience, why did we not use them more this year?

We have mis-used Quick, Bailey, Kendricks, Givens and for the most part, Tavon. Basically, we blew it this year on offense. We need a new offense coordinator. Just because we have had success running the ball does not mean that our offensive philosophy should be to establish the run early. (while the other team establishes a 17 point lead). This team has absolutely 0% chance to come from behind. There is no scheme on offense based on the opponent we are playing. This is 1980's stuff, we need to get an Offensive Coordinator who get's it.

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Although I agree we should use Quick and Bailey more now that the season is over to get them more experience, why did we not use them more this year?

We have mis-used Quick, Bailey, Kendricks, Givens and for the most part, Tavon. Basically, we blew it this year on offense. We need a new offense coordinator. Just because we have had success running the ball does not mean that our offensive philosophy should be to establish the run early. (while the other team establishes a 17 point lead). This team has absolutely 0% chance to come from behind. There is no scheme on offense based on the opponent we are playing. This is 1980's stuff, we need to get an Offensive Coordinator who get's it.
    With all due respect the last thing we need is to change our OC and make it another playbook for Sam and all these young WR to learn over. I agree with getting these guys as many reps this year. Pettis is not my long term answer but it's hard to argue that playing him hurt this team early on.

Givens has had a tough second year, a lot of drops on his part not to sure how that the OC fault.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post

As frustrating as our offense has been much of the time this season, at the end of the day it is players who make plays. The Rams haven't had many offensive playmakers over the last decade. Our team is young and gradually gaining experience. Sure Schotty may own some of the ineptitude here and there, but he can't ensure that his receivers catch the football. He can't make up for Clemens' physical limitations, nor can he prevent stupid penalties committed on defense.

If we can amass enough playmakers on O, Schotty will look good in the end. As soon as that happens, you will get your wish - as another team will view Schotty as a guy who can turn things around for them. I'll confess I wasn't thrilled when Fish hired him, but I was thrilled when we hired Fish. Fish must have had his reasons for hiring Schotty, so I'll have to trust him.

Right now, the last thing we need is a new OC bringing yet another offensive playbook for our young players to learn.

Ask yourself this: how many drive-killing drops have our receivers/runningbacks dropped this year? When we've needed guys to make "money" catches, all too often those catches were missed/dropped. Givens was the goat last night, although J. Cook didn't consistently dazzle either.

I am glad to see that there is some agreement here regarding starting Bailey and Quick. I can't remember the last time I saw Bailey drop a pass. He definitely has earned more reps IMO. Quick on the other hand has been slow to develop, but it is easy to see why Snead/Fish were so enamored of him. Physically he's a monster - no question, but he's been very inconsistent. With our season pretty much over as far as playoffs go, I'd agree with starting him as much as possible the rest of the season. Let him get gain some confidence through live-game experience.
    Rambos and laram0 like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

After thinking about it further, maybe you guys are right. We're just not getting the kind of production from our wideouts that we need on a weekly basis. It is hard to justify not giving guys a shot if the starters aren't getting it done. Givens certainly has been disappointing. It is infuriating to watch Cook- the guy has tremendous tools yet too often plays beneath his ability. Pettis is average. At the very least, Quick and Bailey should see a big increase in reps. A lot of question marks with this crew- a bit unsettling given the fact we've made a concerted effort to upgrade the receiving corps the past two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    After thinking about it further, maybe you guys are right. We're just not getting the kind of production from our wideouts that we need on a weekly basis. It is hard to justify not giving guys a shot if the starters aren't getting it done. Givens certainly has been disappointing. It is infuriating to watch Cook- the guy has tremendous tools yet too often plays beneath his ability. Pettis is average. At the very least, Quick and Bailey should see a big increase in reps. A lot of question marks with this crew- a bit unsettling given the fact we've made a concerted effort to upgrade the receiving corps the past two seasons.
    I think the fact the Clemens is the QB it tough to evaluate the play of the wide-outs at times. Yeah he had some dropped balls, but even he said after the game he needs to be more accurate. He had a lot of poor passes yesterday.

I noticed he forces the ball down field into double coverage, where Sam was criticized for checking it do too often.

Clemens has now started five games and his numbers are not pretty.

51.7 completion percentage
    RAT 77.3
    TD 5
    INT 3
    YARDS 1019

SAM played two more games
    60.7 completion percentage
    RAT 90.9
    TD 14
    INT 4
    YARDS 1687

That is a huge loss in production from the QB position if you ask me, I think its hard to measure the impact on young WR.

Keep in mind Sam also had days when this group had a case of the drops.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think the fact the Clemens is the QB it tough to evaluate the play of the wide-outs at times. Yeah he had some dropped balls, but even he said after the game he needs to be more accurate. He had a lot of poor passes yesterday.

I noticed he forces the ball down field into double coverage, where Sam was criticized for checking it do too often.

Clemens has now started five games and his numbers are not pretty.

51.7 completion percentage
    RAT 77.3
    TD 5
    INT 3
    YARDS 1019

SAM played two more games
    60.7 completion percentage
    RAT 90.9
    TD 14
    INT 4
    YARDS 1687

That is a huge loss in production from the QB position if you ask me, I think its hard to measure the impact on young WR.

Keep in mind Sam also had days when this group had a case of the drops.
    Numbers would even be better if it weren't for penalties and dropped passes.

I attribute poor performance of WR to Clemens, yeah he does get the ball to the receivers, but it seems as if he throws it way off. Most of the time the receivers make adjustment to get the ball.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast