View Poll Results: Which guy in the starting lineup deserves some "heat"?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marc Bulger

0 0%
  • Steven Jackson

0 0%
  • Richie Incognito

0 0%
  • Joel Klopfenstein

2 7.41%
  • Brandon Chillar

1 3.70%
  • Travis Fisher

23 85.19%
  • Other (name below)

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which starter deserves the most "heat" from fans?

Which guy in the starting lineup needs to step it up?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Which starter deserves the most "heat" from fans?

Just my opinion and everyone is free to theirs, but this is a no brainer..........T Fish has got to become a better cover man. His coverage skills are just too light. Why? I have no idea, but he could lead this team in tackles if opposing QBs keep throwing at him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Just my opinion and everyone is free to theirs, but this is a no brainer..........T Fish has got to become a better cover man. His coverage skills are just too light. Why? I have no idea, but he could lead this team in tackles if opposing QBs keep throwing at him.
    Definitely T. Fish; IMO he is a good nickel and dime back, but not a starter. With 11 tackles, he is in the top 6 on the team. Maybe if he didn't play 5+ yards off the WR, he would have a few picks and or passes defensed.

The DT's need a mention here as well. I know Kennedy has an injury, but the interior line needs to get better penetration, especially against the run.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

If T Fish wasn't on this list I would say none of them, but since he is it's T Fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

maineram Guest

Of the players mentioned I'd have to go with Fisher. He seems to be playing catchup to a receiver when the ball is in the air most of the time. At least he's making the tackle, albeit 18 yards down field. I say put Hill in his spot to see what he can do, and put Fisher in as the nickel back.

Where is Butler ????? Inactive for the first three games ??? Maybe he should be featured in the, "Where are they now" !!

Maineram -

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Totally agree. I can't agree with Klop because, if you ain't gettin' the rock, you can't do anything with the rock. But I think we need to get him the rock, so the heat is on Linehan and Bulger to throw it his way. We can't keep relying on Holt in every clutch situation.

T. Fisher does play way too far off the line, IMO. Afraid to give up the big play? And you're right, he has the tackles because teams are going after him. ...and they're going after him because they know he's a weak link. Heck, if I'm the QB, and I look over and see him playing 10 yards off the ball, I'd dink and dunk his butt to death. Too easy to get underneath him. He needs to press the receiver a little more and take him out of his pattern early.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RealRam is offline Registered User

RFRH, you beat me to it! I was the first to vote for 'Other' in the poll because I wanted to add that twist to the question. That is, most of the "heat" coming from us fans should be directed to the coaching staff in general, with the exception, IMO, of Coach Haslett.

You rightly pointed out a perfect example in TE Klopfenstein. Others in the offense are in the very same situation. Not only because they're not being given the 'rock' as you mentioned, but because the game plans, play book, style, etc., have been a little flaky, really, to start the season.

Good news? Seems we are about to see all that change for the better! :r
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-28-2006 at 07:46 PM.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Not thrilled about putting too much "heat" on a starter, especially a defensive player, three weeks into the season. Stuff like injuries have a lot to do with how guys perform, so it often isn't fair. It's hard to judge linemen because you often don't know the assignments, and who messed up or got beat.

Can you judge a RB or QB where they get no blocking protection? I don't think so. Football is a team game, so pointing fingers, especially now, seems like a waste and a real concerted effort to keep looking for the negative.

Besides why start ripping a player when there is no one better for sure they can play. That kind of stuff seems better fit into post season talk, when replacements can be had.

Now, as far as who might be pushed for his job on the roster the most, which is more a positive commentary, where it is the result of the strength of the backup corps, I would say that it's only amatter of time before Travis Fisher is supplanted by 1st rounder Tye Hill.

That's not unexpected at all, with Fisher a free agent after this season. Hill alreday comes in at CB in the nickel, with Fisher moving inside to nickel back. That will make it an easy transition when Hill is ready to be the #1 guy all the time, with Fisher still in on the nickel in the same spot he is in now.
    Barry Waller

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Well, I guess that ends this thread. Well said Barry.

RamsFan16 Guest

I agree. Fisher has been the worst, he starts and he shoud prove he starts for a reason.

I so badly want to see Tye Hill starting!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Which starter deserves the most "heat" from fans?

Football is a team game, so pointing fingers, especially now, seems like a waste and a real concerted effort to keep looking for the negative. -- B. Waller
    Very nice and opportune admonition. :r Thanks.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    Maybe if he didn't play 5+ yards off the WR, he would have a few picks and or passes defensed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    T. Fisher does play way too far off the line, IMO.
    Okay, question. Do either of you think that a player's pre-snap position and alignment on the field is at all determined by the defensive scheme or coaching? Or is it completely up to the player where and how he lines up on the field?

You seem to be blaming Fisher for something that I think is more of a coaching and scheme issue. I would assume that if Fisher isn't supposed to be lining up with a few yards of cushion between him and the receiver, then he'd be pulled pretty quickly for not being where he's supposed to be.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Okay, question. Do either of you think that a player's pre-snap position and alignment on the field is at all determined by the defensive scheme or coaching? Or is it completely up to the player where and how he lines up on the field?

You seem to be blaming Fisher for something that I think is more of a coaching and scheme issue. I would assume that if Fisher isn't supposed to be lining up with a few yards of cushion between him and the receiver, then he'd be pulled pretty quickly for not being where he's supposed to be.
    I was going to write something similar to that but I figured it was pretty basic common sense. Could just be me though.

RamOfDenmark Guest

This dubious honor has to go to Travis Fisher. I hate seeing the QB's first beat him on a pass, and then see the receiver dragging him 10 yards downfield (take a look at the Arizona game for some textbook examples) before he finally makes the tackle. I guess it's still better than last year, where he didn't make the tackle at all though. I've never thought Fisher was a good enough player to start, but I've recognised that we didn't necessarily have anyone better. But this year I would say, why not give Tye Hill, Jerametrius Butler (if he's still alive?) or perhaps even Ron Bartell a chance to start and make Fisher the nickel- or even dime-back, if it doesn't work out revert back to Fisher, but let's give it a shot.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I have to agree with Nick. I actually voted for Chillar.

Witherspoon- 22 tkles-2 forced fumbles- 1 fumble recovery
    Pisa - 9 tkles- 1 fumble recovery
    Chillar- 8 tkles and 1 pass defensed

Chillar is averaging less than 3 tackles a game.
    Pisa needs to step it up a bit also. :r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast