Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting CB's

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Starting CB's

It looks like Brown will be out for Sunday's game. I think the majority of members on this board agree that Fisher just doesn't cut it as a starter.
    So who in your opinion should start this week against the Packers?

JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Starting CB's

Tye Hill and Mike Furrey ? Oh no that's right Furrey is gone. Tye Hill and Butler.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I think the majority of members on this board agree that Fisher just doesn't cut it as a starter.
    And since none of them are coaching the Rams, we should probably trust what Linehan and Haslett see, which has to be something since he's remained in the line-up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I like Fish as a nickle back, but not as a starter.I say Hill and [nobody else will say this but] Bartell.

Rams | Brown misses practice, downgraded for Week 5
    Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:37:06 -0700

St. Louis Rams CB Fakhir Brown (ankle) missed practice Friday, Oct. 6, and has been downgraded to questionable for Week 5. If Brown were unable to play, CB Tye Hill could start in his place. Safety Ron Bartell would assume the nickel back duties.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd like to see Hill and Bartell
    RamsFan16

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

It is thought provoking that Bartell would apparently rank higher than Butler too. Something isn't right about Butler, there is more to this situation than we know. I don't believe you go from being a pretty good corner, out one year with injury, to essentially not even on the team, I don't believe you lose your skills so completely in a year, unless the injury is physically holding you back. That said, it will be very interesting to watch Hill starting this week, he has played quite well so far in limited action I think.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Bartell is ahead of butler because of special teams play. Its a numbers game. I dont believe that bartell would actually be ahead of butler as a cover corner if they were both on the active list on gameday, but we will see.

I would absolutely sit brown for this game. we need him full strength for seattle, have to take the long range view.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bruce4life is offline Registered User

give butler a shot again... hes proven he can play at a high level and in 2003 he was our best corner flat out... he's gotten out of one doghouse before maybe he will be able to get out of this one too...

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And since none of them are coaching the Rams, we should probably trust what Linehan and Haslett see, which has to be something since he's remained in the line-up.
    I think I'd rather echo what one of our foreign correspondents had to say about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark'sRam

I don't think it's an either or: either you trust the coaching staff blindly, or you think they're incompetent. To me there's room for dissent, I know the coaching staff has much more information than us fans, but I also know mistakes have been made, and will continue to be made - they're not perfect. And I think they're making a mistake on this particular issue (unless he is not really recovered from his injury), that doesn't make them incompetent in general though.
    I appreciate you wanting a reasoned explanation from someone when they leap to criticize a coaching move. That's a fair demand. At the same time though, to dismiss someone's opinion on the basis that there not they're not the actual coach is simplistic. Just because someone is in a position of authority doesn't mean their judgment is any better than the next person's. History is littered with examples of unquestioned authority leading the world down the path of sorrow.

But back to the question of the thread, since I don't care for puny DBs (and both Boldin and Williams showed us again that bigs, fast, tall Wrs could be the Rams achilles heel), and also because I will play the cards I'm dealt, I'd start Hill and Bartell (mind you, personally I wouldn't have drafted another puny DB like Hill the 1st round ... but that is water under the bridge.

I'd give Hill a chance to prove me wrong that his speed, acceleration, and agility can make up for his lack of size. I'd give Bartell a chance to validate my point that we need bigger, taller DBs to meet the challenge of the Plaxico's of the league ...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I'd give Hill a chance to prove me wrong that his speed, acceleration, and agility can make up for his lack of size. I'd give Bartell a chance to validate my point that we need bigger, taller DBs to meet the challenge of the Plaxico's of the league ...
    Finally, some one gets it.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    At the same time though, to dismiss someone's opinion on the basis that there not they're not the actual coach is simplistic.
    I'm not dismissing anyone's opinion. I simply think that there's a reason Fisher's still starting for us, and it's likely because he's not playing as poorly as fans would have you believe so we should probably trust the coaching staff on this one.

For example, I'm sure most people don't recall it was a blitzing Fisher that helped force Jake Plummer into a bad throw that turned into Tye Hill's first career INT. People remember Fisher being unable to bring down Anquan Boldin, but often forget that after missing the tackle Fisher hustled down the field and stopped Boldin from reaching the end zone on one long catch and run.

Besides the Arizona game, where has Fisher completely stunk it up so much that he needs to be benched? Maybe I just have a bad memory, because I don't recall any other game where he had me screaming this year.

The bottom line is Fisher has good speed and is physical, which makes him an ideal fit for Haslett's system. The point wasn't to dismiss the opinion because RAMMAN68 isn't on the staff, but rather to suggest that four weeks into the season, Fisher is likely still on the field because the staff sees something they like, something the fans might not see.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    It looks like Brown will be out for Sunday's game. I think the majority of members on this board agree that Fisher just doesn't cut it as a starter.
    So who in your opinion should start this week against the Packers?
    Come on folks. The original post asked for our opinion. It didn't ask what the coaches will do. Can't we make either educated or even uneducated opinions? That is what makes a fan board fun.

If our opinions can't be shared, we might as well just all go to a sports news site, read what they say, and not have a forum at all.
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    If our opinions can't be shared, we might as well just all go to a sports news site, read what they say, and not have a forum at all.
    No one in this thread who has submitted their opinion on who they think should start this weekend has drawn any objections for sharing said opinion. The only real debate going on in this topic stemmed from a comment about a specific player. So I think it's pretty inaccurate to paint this as if opinions on this topic aren't allowed when multiple posters have mentioned their starting pair with no objection at all.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Prior to his injury last year, Fisher was by far our best tackling corner. He is the best in run support of all the corners we have, so perhaps it is that that keeps him in the line-up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast