Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A stat that explains (though does not excuse) pass protection problem.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

A stat that explains (though does not excuse) pass protection problem.

The Rams pass protection needs to be better.

I said that up front to make it clear that the point of this thread is NOT to excuse the Rams' overall poor OL play.

With that stated, I found a stat that adds some context to the Rams' poor pass blocking. Here is a list of the top 5 teams in the NFL in the category of sacks/game:

1. New York Giants
    2. Baltimore Ravens
    3. Washington Redskins
    4. Philadelphia Eagles
    5. (tie) Dallas Cowboys

Notice something about this? The Rams played all of these teams.

Some might argue that these teams' stats were bolstered by their sacks against the Rams. That is true, but I don't think anyone can question that these five teams are among the best pass rushing teams in the NFL.

The "proof" that this stat is relevant is the fact that the Rams' two best pass blocking performances were arguably the two games against the teams not listed above: Green Bay and New Orleans.

This week will be a good test of the theory. The Cardinals are 18th in the league in total sacks, and average just over two sacks per game.

If the Rams can hold Arizona's pass rush in check, they should be able to score some points and, hopefully, come away with a win.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: A stat that explains (though does not excuse) pass protection problem.

Fingers crossed that this turns out to be true.? I think you could be on to something here.? If you factor in the lockout, and scheme change also, its the perfect storm.? I will not be holding my breath though.!!!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Another thing that will help our O-line look better is the acquisition of Brandon Lloyd. Lloyd is guy that gets open when he's supposed to be open and opposing defenses are going to have to pay more attention to him. Which in turn should help our other receivers find some open space. I really believe that before the Lloyd deal our biggest issue was that our receivers were not getting open thus forcing Bradford to hold onto the ball longer than he should, which put added pressure on our O-line.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Certainly a relevant stat that explains a lot of things, but if you want to be talked about seriously and be a top team, you must perform well against other top teams- not just the bottom dwellers. Until this week, the Rams had not done that.

Let's hope the offensive line shows marked improvement over the remaining 9 games. Bradford's health and our future success depends on it.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I will agree with that somewhat... but there is now doubt the O-line has not played good.

Smith and Saffold, have really stepped back. Saffold has really disappointed last year as rookie I thought we had found a great LT and now he has so many false starts it's sad.

I'm now thinking draft Matt Kalil to play LT slide Saffold to RT and possibly try moving Smith inside... yeah I know we need a WR but Sam has missed two games this year so far and has taken a beating. I think this is a smart move long term.

I watched the Saints game again and saw Bell get man handled. Billy said he wanted to get bigger, we need to replace Bell and get some more beef upfront. If not Smith, bring a FA in to and start at OG next year, just don't see Bell as a Ram after this year.

In short the O-line is still an issue IMO

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Bell got manhandled? Bell was the guy opening the biggest holes for Jackson! That 4th and 2 run came right off Bell's backside

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Bell got manhandled? Bell was the guy opening the biggest holes for Jackson! That 4th and 2 run came right off Bell's backside
    Bell got handled, matter of fact the announcer made a comment that we should change the bull rush and call it the Bell... Yeah that run came form that side BUT in was Lance TE great block he through two on the run.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-cen...7-6c80ed42a8a8

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Lets also not forget another variable in pass protection, playing with a lead. When you are down by three touchdowns and have to pass, it becomes a lot harder to pass block d ends and linebackers that have their ears pinned back and are only focused on getting to the QB.

Coupled with the QB's release, his decision making, the receivers getting open, and creative blitz packages from the opposing defense, the art of pass protection includes much more than whether or not your offensive tackles sux.

The elephant in the room is the price tag on the o-line... that is struggling to run block, pass protection and stop with the silly penalties. we all where so gald to get rid of Barron and know it feels like we have two Barron's on the line. IMO

Offensive line coach Steve Loney gets a big part of the blame here. This is his fourth year coaching the Rams offensive line. His time has coincided with the drafting of Jason Smith in 2009, easily the most disappointing of the bunch, and the failure to turn him into a reliable, every down player. In 2009, the Rams also signed Jason Brown to a five-year, $37.5 million contract; Brown has never matched his level of play with the Ravens since coming here. Jacob Bell, signed to a six-year, $36 million in 2008, has been inconsistent during his stint with the Rams. Rodger Saffold, a second-round pick last year, played very in his debut season, but has yet to show progress this year.
    In this rebuilding process this is what will set us back IMO...

We still need to get the line right before we make a real run at a SB... IMO
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-01-2011 at 01:07 PM.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Right you are Rambos. The money is the elephant in the room with this line. Since the players are not easy to move, I raised this a few weeks back, that maybe Steve Loney may have to be moved.

I also agree with your thoughts about drafting Matt Kalil. I just watched him on Saturday against Stanford. That's a biiig boy. He could anchor our OL for the next decade. Another move the Rams may want to consider is signing Carl Nicks at OG ( I hope he plays the same side as Bell) since he's likely to be a FA from the Saints and they'll probably not be able to franchise him as their other OG is also a FA. I wanted to draft Nicks out of Nebraska a few years ago. Better late than never. the remaining 9 games will be very telling for our OL's future.

Go Rams!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

This offense should be very explosive with Bradford next year and an improved O-line

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    This offense should be very explosive with Bradford next year and an improved O-line
    Next year for sure. But it starts this Sunday against the Cardinals.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Bell got handled, matter of fact the announcer made a comment that we should change the bull rush and call it the Bell... Yeah that run came form that side BUT in was Lance TE great block he through two on the run.

There has been an argument made that Bell has been the Rams best lineman this season.

Anyway, in that video it shows the entire left side of our line DECIMATES the Saints. The only guy that gets anywhere near Jackson is Jonathan Vilma, the MLB. Vilma, 6-1, 230 against Jackson, 6-2 240? No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    There has been an argument made that Bell has been the Rams best lineman this season.
    I guess that sums up the problem.... if Bell is playing the best and this line is playing like it is... scary.

Some might think Bell is out playing Smith and Saffold but the OG position is far easier to play then outside. But that being said he's not a dominate run blocker by no stretch. He did get cut and resigned for with a pay cut this year, he has not played up to his contract. To say he is playing the best on the line is not saying much with all the sacks and false starts, lack of running lanes. The Rams attacked the edges this past Sunday. You would have to give me some stats or Spags saying he playing well... Maybe he is but I'm not seeing it...
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-02-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Announcer said we should call it "bell rung" not "the bell"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast