Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By general counsel

Thread: A stat that puts Jeff Fisher's coaching record into perspective.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A stat that puts Jeff Fisher's coaching record into perspective.

During the hiring process, some downplayed Jeff Fisher's coaching record by noting that he never won a Super Bowl as a Head Coach.

I wonder if the people who raised this issue are aware of how exclusive that "club" is right now.

Here's a stat that might surprise: Currently, there are only six teams in the NFL who have a Head Coach who has won a Super Bowl. Five have won with their current team: Patriots (Belichick), Giants (Coughlin), Packers (McCarthy), Saints (Peyton) and Steelers (Tomlin). The sixth, Mike Shanahan (Redskins), won with a previous team (Broncos).

Why is the number so low? Because many of the coaches who have won Super Bowls in the last 10-15 years moved on after doing so (Holmgren, Vermiel, Cowher, Gruden, Dungy, Billick).

Of the remaining 26 teams, only six more have a Head Coach who coached in a Super Bowl. They are Arizona (Whisenhunt), Philidelphia (Reid), Denver (Fox), Chicago (Smith), Indianapolis (Caldwell - who could be on his way out), and St. Louis (Fisher).

So, 20 of 32 teams have a Head Coach who never lead a team to the Super Bowl.

Given this stat, I think a guy like Fisher, who has made it to a Super Bowl, and stayed with a single team for 16 years, is revealed to be a much more rare commodity than some might realize.

Now all he needs to do is get on that first list.
    shower beers likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: A stat that puts Jeff Fisher's coaching record into perspective.

I agree completely with the post, but would also point out that he failed to get into OT (with a great chance to win) a SB by one foot despite being badly overmatched talent wise. I think the best part about fisher is that he had an excellent record despite a cheap meddling owner. He will not have those constraints with the Rams.
    I have never heard anyone make a convincing argument that says that fisher failed to achieve above the level of talent on his team.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    shower beers likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Great point dude. We have a proven winner and leader that will be far more prepared and experienced his second tine around.

He did pretty good his first time around. Think how good he can be his second time around knowing all the ins and outs of head coaching.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -01-17-2012 at 12:12 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Yeah, like I've said before; the overall coaching record is important but doesn't always paint a fair or true picture of the coach. Many circumstances- some beyond one's control- factor into the total record. His experience, longevity, ability to make average teams competitive and knowledge of the game are all reasons his hiring was a good one.

There's a reason why Fisher was in high demand.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Good point AV. In some ways I feel its better to get a coach who hasn't won the big one, just yet.? I think too many people, just tend to look at the statistics, and then base their decision's off of that.?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

If u want stats here's one, fisher from 95-10 141 and 115. Rams 111 and 145. If it wasn't for the gsot that would be even more lop sided.

Also fisher has a ring I believe from the 85 bears where he was a defensive assistant. He has taught under buddy Ryan and bill walsh.

Rambos is offline Registered User

The one stat that I have an issue with fans criticizing is Fisher's W/L% .542. One of the critical numbers with his percent is games the total numbers of games he's coached 262. The amount of NFL coaches that have coached a total of 250 plus games in itself is a very short list.... One name that jumps out is Mike Holmgren, sure he won a SB, but had a HOF QB. his W/L% .592 is very similar to Fisher.

Every team has set backs each year that can end their season before it starts. This year if Spags won 8 games with all the sets backs we had it would have been consider a great coaching job. Just looking at win loss percent and saying he's an average coach in nonsense.

Here is such an 8-8 finish that was a good job of coaching, but in the big picture it reflects on him poorly... just an average coach... I think not.

In 2006, the Titans finished a better-than-expected 8–8. Quarterback Steve McNair was traded to the Baltimore Ravens and Vince Young was drafted, but began the season as backup to Billy Volek and Kerry Collins.
    When he has the talent know what to do with it!

In 2008, Fisher led the Titans to a 10-0 undefeated streak
    Fisher has coached through adversity!

starting off with a 1–4 record. Following one home loss, owner Bud Adams made the comment to reporters that perhaps the Titans "were getting outcoached." This provided a spark the team needed, and they finished the season with a 11–5 record and made it to the AFC Championship Game.
    My point is your not going to coach in the NFL for 17 years and not have some bad teams and face some adversity! Fisher is a very good coach,
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-17-2012 at 01:40 PM.

cayal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is such an 8-8 finish that was a good job of coaching, but in the big picture it reflects on him poorly... just an average coach... I think not.
    He is a very average coach and why he gets away with it is because people make excuses for him.
    Vince Young saved his job. Twice. And once he had to be told to put him in because he stuck with Kerry Collins and wouldn't make a change (and therein lies the problem. Too damn loyal).

When he has the talent know what to do with it!
    The year he said 'This is the most talented team I've ever had', we went 8-8 and that was because Young saved his butt. We were 0-6 before he was forced to make the change.

Fisher has coached through adversity!
    True enough. He still runs the same tired philosophy. You'll see.

My point is your not going to coach in the NFL for 17 years and not have some bad teams and face some adversity! Fisher is a very good coach,[/QUOTE]

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Vermil won how many SBs when he came over to the Rams? If I recall, he lost a SB while coaching the Eagles. Now if history holds and I hope it does, Fisher hasn't won a SB, but lost one...perhaps lightning can strike twice for the Rams. But regardless of "luck" omens and winning verses loosing, the one thing Fisher is noted for is he builds solid teams.

But look at it on the plus side. Fisher has waiting for him a number one pick QB in Bradford, has S. Jackson. Its a better situation he is walking into then say if it where the Browns or any there team in a woeful situation. Now if he wanted to walk into a team with a mess on its hands, Miami would have been a perfect choice--But I think Fisher wants to win NOW, and that bodes will for the Rams.