AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

State of the Rams' Depth

Let's take a look at the Rams' depth, rating each position group by the following criteria:

LTD (Long Term Depth) - a position group that can withstand a long-term injury to at least one starter and still likely function at a comparable level.

STD (Short Term Depth) - a position group that can withstand a short term (2-3 games) injury to a starter without a major dropoff, but that needs to be healthy in the long run and in the playoffs.

ID (Inadequate Depth) - a position group that cannot withstand any injury to a starter without a significant dropoff.

Here's how I see it:

Quarterbacks
    Primary Backups: Frerotte, Fitzpatrick/Ragone
    Rating: STD
    I have confidence that Frerotte could be an effective starter for 2-3 midseason games, if necessary, but the Rams will need Bulger in the long run to go anywhere.

Running Backs
    Primary Backups: Fisher, Williams
    Rating: ID
    If Jackson goes down, the Rams running game takes a major hit. Probably would mean Bulger would have to throw 40-50 times per game, which is not what we want.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
    Primary Backups: Curtis, McDonald, Walker, Byrd
    Rating: LTD (with a caveat)
    Losing Torry Holt would result in a significant dropoff. Any other starter, including Isaac Bruce, could be adequately replaced if injured.

Offensive Line
    Primary Backups: Steussie, Sapaia, Setterstrom, Turner
    Rating: STD (Tackles)/ID (Interior Line)
    Steussie could fill in adequately at either OT spot for a short period. The interior line is paper thin, particularly with the loss of Claude Terrell.

Defensive Line
    Primary Backups: Adeyanju, Wroten, Fisk, Green
    Rating: STD
    There is a lot of talent among the backups, but little experience, apart from Fisk. If Adeyanju and Wroten develop quickly, this rating could increase.

Linebackers
    Primary Backups: Smith, Coakley, Brooks, Alston
    While the dropoff from Chillar to Smith or Coakley is minimal, the Rams can't afford to lose Witherspoon or Tinoisamoa, even for a game or two.

Defensive Backs
    Primary Backups: Hill, Butler, Carter, Bartell, Groce
    Rating: LTD
    Apart from Chavous, this is a unit of fairly young players, and there may be as much talent on the bench as on the field. That's not to say this is a great unit, just one that is developing and not characterized by a large disparity between starter and backup talent.

In all, this is a team that has marginal depth. Certainly, the team is deeper than last year, particularly at QB, OT and DB, but the Rams will need to stay as healthy, if not heathier, than their rivals to contend for the playoffs.

Rams4life1 Guest

Re: State of the Rams' Depth

Nice job. I really like the way you broke it down.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Running Backs
    Primary Backups: Fisher, Williams
    If Jackson goes down, the Rams running game takes a major hit. Probably would mean Bulger would have to throw 40-50 times per game, which is not what we want.
    I think the run game would still be OK if SJ went down. I agree that the offense would most likely pass more, but I've been impressed with what Fisher brings to the table. If Russell is placed on the practice squad, that would add more depth in the event one of the RB's goes down.

The whole running game is dependent upon the strength of the O-line. If this group stays healthy and productive, the loss of SJ would not be as severe.
    Last edited by RAMMAN68; -08-30-2006 at 04:02 PM.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

AugustaRamFan Guest

Quarterbacks - STD...HMMM...

I think Frerotte could run the offense OK! He is no Bulger, but Mark does not have the offense fully understood yet (based on preseason). Might cost a game or two, but overall I think the Rams would do OK. STD could be LTD....

Running Backs - ID

If SJ goes down, I think we would be STD, we need him back, but the 2/3 headed tail back would fill in nicely imho.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends - LTD

I would say at receiver the Rams are LTD. However, at tightend, if we loose the starter, if could be dismal - ID for tight ends imho.

Offensive Line - STD

I would say that w/o Terrell and the inconsistent play of Sapaia and with the lack of experience for all the rest except Stuessie...we are at ID.

Defensive Line - STD - Agreed, although if Glover goes down, it would be hard to replace him I think.

Linebackers - ID Agreed. After the starters a huge drop off in proven playing ability.

Defensive Backs - LTD. I would say STD. They have enough bodies, but it may matter when, rather than who. If Hill can get some real experience, the Rams could take a hit at CB and survive. I am still not confident at safety. I like Groce, but can we afford to let him start for an extended perid of time?

I would say that the team has barely adequate depth overall.

Good post AV!