Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

A statistical breakdown of Sam Bradford, and what it means ...

Here's something I put together on Bradford:

Pass Attempts - 234, ranks 3rd in NFL - This shows the coaches have confidence in Bradford to handle the offense from day one. There are probably less than a handful of rookie QB's in history who have done this.

Pass Completions - 133, ranks 7th in NFL - For an accurate QB, the attempts and completions ranking should be about equivalent. Bradford has missed some easier throws this year, and has been the victims of some drops.

Completion % - 56.8%, ranks 28th in NFL - Bradford's completion percentage is poor for a WCO. Again, he has missed some easy throws, and he'll work hard to correct this. His accuracy is his strength, but timing is crucial to this offense, and it takes a young QB awhile to get this. Bradford is FAR ahead on the rookie curve, and I look for him to be a 65.0% career passer.

YPA - 5.80 YPA, 30th in NFL - In this offense, directly related to the completion %. When Bradford gets to be a 60.0% passer, his YPA will be much higher, around 6.5 or so.

TD - 7, ranks 15th in NFL, 3.05 TD% - The TD percentage is a little low, and this points to redzone offensive struggles. This is a nonissue.

INT - 8, ranks 2nd in NFL, 3.38 INT% - While the INT number seems high, it's fairly decent given the number of attempts. He INT% is better than Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Brett Favre, David Garrard, Shaun Hill, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Hasselbeck, and Jason Campbell.

Sacks - 14, ranks 4th in NFL, one sack every 17 attempts - This number is overinflated because Bradford has run out of bounds 3 times for negative gain to yield a sack. He also gave up two sacks against SD on the roll out for which he should have thrown it away. Overall, Bradford is getting time to throw and is not being punished.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: A statistical breakdown of Sam Bradford, and what it means ...

makes interesting reading R.I and thanks for goin` to the trouble of putting them altogether for us. for me personally though,the things that have impressed me most about Sam, don`t translate to the stat sheet.
    when Mayock said his intangibles are off the charts,he weren`t kidding...
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -10-19-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: intangibles? intangables?..

shower beers is offline Registered User

Nice stats, thanks for putting them together. My only concern is that there seems to be an excuse for each poor-stat area. He's going to take his lumps sure, but a lot of the blame has to fall on his shoulders. He'll get there though, I'm confident of this.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Nice stats, thanks for putting them together. My only concern is that there seems to be an excuse for each poor-stat area. He's going to take his lumps sure, but a lot of the blame has to fall on his shoulders. He'll get there though, I'm confident of this.
    Not as much excuses, moreso him missing easy throws. When he corrects those, all his statistics will look MUCH better ...

richtree is offline Registered User

Bradford still has the habit of his eyes drifting to the 4 yard completion btween 2 defenders with no room for run after catch.

He must realize one or two -- 20+ yard completions are better than lots of small 4 yard completions.

It will come and that will limit the pressure up front on him and SJax run game.

Let's see the adjustments this game.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    makes interesting reading R.I and thanks for goin` to the trouble of putting them altogether for us. for me personally though,the things that have impressed me most about Sam, don`t translate to the stat sheet.
    when Mayock said his intangibles are off the charts,he weren`t kidding...
    I totally agree about the intangibubbles, Ramblin.

Watching this kid is like one of those time-lapse photography things on the Discovery channel. You see him fix stuff in his game ,sometimes from play to play, & definitely from week to week. Make a rash decision that results in a RZ pick? Next week, he runs out of bounds instead of throwing an off-balance pass that could be picked. Take a hit on a scramble, slide on the next. Hesitate for a fraction to throw the arcing long ball or be too safe & throw it too far outside, absolutely nail one to Danario. You could see how elated he was to make that one & rightly so.

Next week, watch him check out of a run to the side with a creeping safety- a mistake he made vs SD. He already routinely makes blitz-beater throws and adjustments that we have no right to expect of him.

And how cool is this greenhorn to calmly collect those bizarrely off target long snaps & instantly cauterize what could have been game-turning bleed-outs ?

You just get the feeling that there's nothing this kid can't do if he stays healthy & the revitalized defense continues to give him the chance to make a difference.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

You would like to see a higher completion percentage especially with his low YPA, but he will improve as he gets more experience and more weapons no concerns there. His INTs are high, but correct me if i'm wrong I think Peyton Manning set a record for INTs his rookie year. At the end of the season I think he would have thrown less INTs than Manning Rookies year and Also Mark Sanchez who had a rough year in terms of interceptions.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

c'mon these stats don't mean nothin! the guy doesn't have weapons and every time he starts to get acclimated to some WR, he goes down for the season. the offensive line has been improving, but hasn't been stellar. so with what he has had to work with and the high number of pass attempts (for a rookie kidding me) he is well ahead of the aforementioned names. i can see future hof IF management gets him some weapons to work with.

I am satisfied with bradfords rookie season and as soon as we get some healthy WR and depth at line we could be looking at some GREAT RAM FOOTBALL!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

MACD is offline Registered User

That's Manning's full season stats, right?

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    c'mon these stats don't mean nothin! the guy doesn't have weapons and every time he starts to get acclimated to some WR, he goes down for the season. the offensive line has been improving, but hasn't been stellar. so with what he has had to work with and the high number of pass attempts (for a rookie kidding me) he is well ahead of the aforementioned names. i can see future hof IF management gets him some weapons to work with.

I am satisfied with bradfords rookie season and as soon as we get some healthy WR and depth at line we could be looking at some GREAT RAM FOOTBALL!

LA Rammers is the best response in the thread other than the intial stats and all....He has not seen the same WR group 2 weeks in a row.... either a TE goes down or a slot guy it never ends... and dont forget he wasnt playin with the 1s fulltime until NE game correct ? so maybe when he sees a reliable set of recievers week to week the comp % goes up

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post

The stats mean a ton. And they are rather impressive, I wasn't implying otherwise ....

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The stats mean a ton. And they are rather impressive, I wasn't implying otherwise ....
    ...not that, just meaning if he had a deep receiving core and a beefed up line could you imagine the stats by now? believe me when I say I am impressed, but those stats don't tell the whole story. (btw thanks for the research) Guys we have something special here, something I haven't been excited for in a long time. (maybe since we drafted eric dickerson)

I already can't wait until next year and I'm really excited about this year. As one post said, "I'm proud of being a Rams fan right now!"
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I would like to point out that two of the three picks that Bradford threw against Arizona came on plays where he had to throw it up there.
    Another was against Detroit where it was batted up in the air and picked by Suh.
    So those picks arent really Bradford's fault, or at least were not down to poor decisions.
    On the other hand, he has had defenders drop some sure picks, so i guess it goes both ways.
    But what im trying to say is that Bradford's pick numbers arent really indicative of is play.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Regardless this is a huge upgrade over Bulger.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Regardless this is a huge upgrade over Bulger.

Bulger who?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast