Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    btimsah Guest

Stats Don't Lie - Bulger One Of Worst QB's In NFL

My Claim, as a non-sunshine pumper, but a realist is that Marc Bulger is nothing special anymore, and with a sub-par line is more of a hindrance to this team than a benefit now.

I appears we've reached a point to where we cannot complain about Marc Bulgers performance, simply because our line is not great.

I've seen some of you go off on a tangent that I should, well let me rephrase, that the Bulger haters need to "prove that he sucks". You'll have to excuse me, as I thought it was rather obvious from watching him play. But then again, if you always have that caveat there that the "line sucks" then can you really prove or disprove anything? I'll try anyway.

This situation reminds me so much of David Carr. Supposed to be an awesome QB, who because of his line never got a chance to shine. Are they still saying that about him?

Well, alight. Let's look ole' Marc's numbers the last few seasons!

After the 2006 season, Marc Bulger has been one of the worst QB's (statistically speaking) in the league. It's now almost 2010 and I see some of you are still in denial. Which somehow makes ME a troll? Haha, no.

• In 2008 Bulger had a pathetic QB rating of 71.4 ranked 30th out of 32 qb's.

• Then in 2007 an equally pathetic rating of 70.3 again ranked 30 out of 33 qb's.

• To add flames of "epic fail" on top, in 2008 Gus Ferotte goes to Minnesota and has a slightly better QB rating at 73.7 and overall rating of 28 to Bulgers ranking of 30.

If a lot of you remember, some people (like me) suggested (in 07') we might be better with Ferotte playing instead of Bulger. Many of you Bulger pumpers claimed this was "RIDICULOUS". Hrmm... Maybe not so ridiculous after-all.

I am also a big believer in offensive and defensive systems and/or coordinators. Marc Bulger has in many ways ruined the following coaches careers.

#1. Mike Martz (Niners finished him off and is no now jobless)
    #2. Scott Linehan (Lions Off-Coordinator? LOL)
    #3. Greg Olson (Bucs QB Coach)
    #4. Al Saunders (Now jobless)

Marc Bulger is the grim reaper of offensive coordinators/coaches. Pat Shurmur, I pray for you nightly.

Now I know a lot of you will say the offensive line sucks again and again, and that that is why Bulger has struggled.

I will say that while our line is not great, Marc Bulger amplifies the problem of our offensive line with his inability to read the defense and get rid of the ball quickly. He's unsure, and slow. A horrible combination with Alex Barron at left tackle. Or any tackle spot. I know, I know - I'm negative. I am harsh and I call it like it is. I hope the team improves. That's part of the fun of watching a bad team. The day they start to play good. It makes it all worth it.

I'm just sick to death of the b.s. on here that you can't speak ill of one of the worst qb's in the league.

For some reason, the excuse factory has been working overtime for Marc.

We are paying a LOT OF MONEY for one of the worst qb's in the league and the stats are clear on this.

BEER is offline Registered User

Re: Stats Don't Lie - Bulger One Of Worst QB's In NFL

If the internet was up back in the days, we would see the same Jim Everett

posts.. LOl..

LifeLongRam Guest

When i read the title i expected some stats, but all i read was a bunch of b.s. And a couple qb ratings. Wow great job disecting bulger's career... I'm sure you really changed some minds with this great thread.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRam View Post
    When i read the title i expected some stats, but all i read was a bunch of b.s. And a couple qb ratings. Wow great job disecting bulger's career... I'm sure you really changed some minds with this great thread.
    Did you seriously just type that? QB ratings = stats.

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

There was only one qb that won the Superbowl last year.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bosna-Ram View Post
    There was only one qb that won the Superbowl last year.
    I'm sorry, you're point.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think comparing Frerotte's numbers behind Minnesota's offense line against Bulger's behind our RAMS O-line is a fair comparison. What did old Gussy boy do for us??? SQUAT!

Go RAMS!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but I think with a healthy & solid offensive line he can be the QB he was in 2002. I'm not giving up on him yet.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I don't think comparing Frerotte's numbers behind Minnesota's offense line against Bulger's behind our RAMS O-line is a fair comparison. What did old Gussy boy do for us??? SQUAT!

Go RAMS!!!!!!!
    I agree with you, which is why I wasn't doing that to compare them directly. I was simply implying that perhaps there's not such a great difference between the two. But we'll never know for certain because, like you said. Minnesota probably has a better line. At least somewhat. But you are welcomed to disagree and are not a troll for doing so.

Go Rams!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Stats may not lie but they can be misinterpreted or selectively chosen to spin an argument. Frerotte & Minn?! Go and look at the Vikes run game and D stats & tell me what you see.

Now,like a lot of us, I've been drinking a fair bit on fall Sundays the last couple years so I may have missed something but I don't remember Gus or Trent exactly carrying The Rams to victory in replacing Bulger which is the only meaningful comparison based solely on QB rating.

The poopstorm of injuries and incompetence that goes way beyond the "O-line thing" over the years that MB's performance has declined cannot be ignored if you want to make a meaningful conclusion about his abilities.

The coach killer thing is just bizarre . What do the career successes/failures of these guys post Ram employment have to do with Bulger? Olson & Linehan were & probably will always be journeymen who were in over their heads in STL. Saunders got a raw deal in both Wash and STL,imo. Not enough time or weapons to do his thing. Martz had no trouble finding a job after Marc "ruined" his rep & yet his offense has not been a sustainable winning strategy since Warner AND a good O-line as well as a dominant rusher who stayed healthy AND a very good D AND good STs AND...well you know the arguments as well as I do..except you choose to ignore them.

I feel your frustration but DeSpags seem to think they can win with Bulger if they fix the other stuff. This kind of bilious tantrum based on selective hindsight and/or a few successful blitzes in the first pre-season game seems premature.

By all means, be tough in your criticism of what unfolds in 2009. I would personally never describe you as a troll for that but let's give DeSpags a chance to prove it one way or the other first.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-17-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Stats may not lie but they can be misinterpreted or selectively chosen to spin an argument. Frerotte & Minn?! Go and look at the Vikes run game and D stats & tell me what you see.

Now,like a lot of us, I've been drinking a fair bit on fall Sundays the last couple years so I may have missed something but I don't remember Gus or Trent exactly carrying The Rams to victory in replacing Bulger which is the only meaningful comparison based solely on QB rating.

The poopstorm of injuries and incompetence that goes way beyond the "O-line thing" over the years that MB's performance has declined cannot be ignored if you want to make a meaningful conclusion about his abilities.

The coach killer thing is just bizarre . What do the career successes/failures of these guys post Ram employment have to do with Bulger? Olson & Linehan were & probably will always be journeymen who were in over their heads in STL. Saunders got a raw deal in both Wash and STL,imo. Not enough time or weapons to do his thing. Martz had no trouble finding a job after Marc "ruined" his rep & yet his offense has not been a sustainable winning strategy since Warner AND a good O-line as well as a dominant rusher who stayed healthy AND a very good D AND good STs AND...well you know the arguments as well as I do..except you choose to ignore them.

I feel your frustration but DeSpags seem to think they can win with Bulger if they fix the other stuff. This kind of bilious tantrum based on selective hindsight and/or a few successful blitzes in the first pre-season game seems premature.

By all means, be tough in your criticism of what unfolds in 2009. I would personally never describe you as a troll for that but let's give DeSpags a chance to prove it one way or the other first.
    Could not have said it better! Great response.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Frerotte fumbled, againsts the Hags, on 4th and goal, on the 1, last play of the game. Stats/QB rating doesn't measure garbage like that.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

And more seriously, when looking at QB ratings, Bulger's numbers over the past few years are a tad off simply because our team has been terrible. We would fall behind by so many so early, that we would be forced to pass. Our opponents knew we would be passing, so they would play nickel or dime. We have been very 1-dementional.

Lots of passes=ints=bad qb rating=your stats=frerotte >bulger
    hmm...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand your argument fully. You say that Bulger supporters defend him because of a suspect line? ...and then you admit the line isn't "the greatest". Then you use stats from the two years when everyone knows the O-line sucked to prove that it's not the line's fault? In fact, it is well documented by football people and fans alike that the Rams had one of the worst O-lines in football for those two years. ...and Bulger's numbers reflect that, as any QB's numbers would which supports the fans that say his problems start with the O-line.

Why didn't you mention Marc's performances in 2004 through 2006 when the line was far better? Well, here are some stats....

Some numbers in 2004: Rating of 93.7, 21 TD's/14 Int's, 66.2% completion percentage.

How about 2005? Rating of 94.4, 14 TD/9 Int's, 66.9% completion percentage. (He only played 8 games)

Okay... 2006? Rating of 92.9, 24 TD's/ 8 Int's, 62.9% completion percentage.

...and oh yeah, he sucked so bad n 2006 that he was selected to play in the ProBowl.

Marc Bulger is not the second coming of (pick your favorite famous HOF QB and insert here), but he's certainly not one of the worst.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

One, I never trust a rating from a scale that goes from 0 to 158.3..what the heck is that?!

Two, the formula is based on the following:

* Completion percentage

* Yards per attempt

* Touchdowns per attempt

* interceptions per attempt

The first three are dependent on a minimum of at least two players. QB and receiver. Not that I would ever throw either Ike or Tory under the bus, but both have gotten older and apparently less productive. The point is that the possibility exists that Bulger's targets were less than superior so there is room for error on their part as well.

The last category of interceptions is another misnomer I have spoke about in the past. When a ball is tipped or misplayed routes are in part to blame for the interception, the QB gets charged with the sole responsibility of the pick. I am not sure I buy into that math wholeheartedly.

Third as far as a quarterback ruining the career of coaches I would suggest the following:

#1. Mike Martz - Head Case
    #2. Scott Linehan - In over his head and wasn't proven enough to be a head coach.
    #3. Greg Olson (Olsen) coached for the Rams, Niners and Detroit, I don't think he really ever had a career?
    #4. Al Saunders - probably the most normal of these four and keeps getting the short end of the stick. He must be a nice guy.

In summary, we all know that MB has hit a rough patch for the last few years, has gotten a lot of money during that time and that this is the last year we are bound by his huge contract. We also know that every barrier that he may have had in the past is by all counts removed (less Barron of course, I think we took it in shorts on him) and the time is now for him to prove himself.

But after watching Vince Young play in the Hall of fame Game, I would have a real hard time saying that MB is the worst quarterback in the league, regardless of what the "Quarterback Ratings" say.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast