Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    bela's Avatar
    bela is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    10

    Status of Rams’ secondary?

    The St. Louis Run D has been well discussed, but I have a few questions about your secondary.

    I confess the only Ram game I’ve seen this year was the GB game. But as I look back at your other games it appears as though QBs have been having pretty good days against the Rams. Smith, Warner, Favre, even Kitna have all put up decent % and yardage, with at least a TD.

    Lots of INTs though, is this what’s been keeping you guys in games? I noticed your +12… unreal. Good fortune here (and Warner) or is your secondary really that aggressive?

    Also, what’s the injury situation?

    Any concerns about your secondary’s ability to cover D-jack, Branch, Burleson and Engram this week?


    -------------
    End the moderator oppression… Free Bela!

    http://www.petitiononline.com/freebela/petition.html


  2. #2
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,834
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: Status of Rams’ secondary?

    The Rams CBs look like this for the Hawks game:

    Will be available: Jeremetrius Butler, Tye Hill, Ron Bartell
    May be available: Travis Fisher, Fakhir Brown

    The Rams ability to cover the Hawks WRs will depend on how well they pressure the QB. I would expect Haslett to blitz frequently.

  3. #3
    bela's Avatar
    bela is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Status of Rams’ secondary?

    Thanks AR.

    Has the yardage given up had more to do with lack of pressure of coverage problems?

    Also, any insight on you abnormally large turnover differential?

    The latter is my primary concern. My humble opinion is that the Rams can beat the Seahawks in a shootout or a defensive battle, but if they start picking off Hass and getting short fields it could get ugly.



    -------------
    End the moderator oppression… Free Bela!

    http://www.petitiononline.com/freebela/petition.html

  4. #4
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,346
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Status of Rams’ secondary?

    Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    Thanks AR.

    Has the yardage given up had more to do with lack of pressure of coverage problems?

    Also, any insight on you abnormally large turnover differential?

    The latter is my primary concern. My humble opinion is that the Rams can beat the Seahawks in a shootout or a defensive battle, but if they start picking off Hass and getting short fields it could get ugly.



    -------------
    End the moderator oppression… Free Bela!

    http://www.petitiononline.com/freebela/petition.html
    First of all, welcome back.

    My take on the state of the Rams D backfield? We're mediocre, at best. We have enough talent to not get totally killed back there, but unless we send in numerous blitz packages, like we did against the Broncos, we can't seem to get enough pressure with our front four. As you know, no front four pressure and just about any QB worth his salt can tear you apart. Haslett could send in waves of blitz's your way, especially if you go to a 4-receiver set. But with your TE back in the lineup, I suspect Haslett may play it safe, much like he did against the Packers and Lions and NOT blitz much. But you never know with Haslett.

    As for the turnaround in turnovers... I would have to say that the new Rams are faster and more aggressive than the old Marmie D. I would liken it to the D we had with Lovie. No really standout D players, except maybe the Spoon and Little, but we seem to be swarming to the ball better, and when it gets loose, we're there to pounce on it. Remember, we've faced two QB's that have been known to thrown 'em away on occasion, in Warner and Plummer. Which is why I was shocked to see us get nothing from Farve, except that costly fumble at the end of the game.

    This game can go either way. If we can get some early hits on Hasslebeck, and force him to throw a few bad balls, the Hawks could be in trouble because the Rams will score at home. However, if we don't get the pressure on him, it will be a shootout and it's anybody's game. Seattle has had two weeks to prepare for this, so I'm sure they're ready. I'll be fun, for sure.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  5. #5
    bela's Avatar
    bela is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Status of Rams’ secondary?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    First of all, welcome back.

    My take on the state of the Rams D backfield? We're mediocre, at best. We have enough talent to not get totally killed back there, but unless we send in numerous blitz packages, like we did against the Broncos, we can't seem to get enough pressure with our front four. As you know, no front four pressure and just about any QB worth his salt can tear you apart. Haslett could send in waves of blitz's your way, especially if you go to a 4-receiver set. But with your TE back in the lineup, I suspect Haslett may play it safe, much like he did against the Packers and Lions and NOT blitz much. But you never know with Haslett.
    Thanks.

    I think your analysis of how the Hawk offense will approach the game is right on. The frequency with which we ran the 4-WR set over the last couple games was as much a matter of necessity as anything else. With basically all of our TEs and our MVP back down that’s where we had weapons.

    Still, I think Holmgren kind of likes it. You’ll see it, but not 20+ times like the last 2 games. Expect the usual Seahawk 3WR, TE, single back and I-form stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    As for the turnaround in turnovers... I would have to say that the new Rams are faster and more aggressive than the old Marmie D. I would liken it to the D we had with Lovie. No really standout D players, except maybe the Spoon and Little, but we seem to be swarming to the ball better, and when it gets loose, we're there to pounce on it. Remember, we've faced two QB's that have been known to thrown 'em away on occasion, in Warner and Plummer. Which is why I was shocked to see us get nothing from Farve, except that costly fumble at the end of the game.
    That’s encouraging… Plummer, Warner and Kitna have a way of building a defenses confidence. I’m still worried about turnovers though, but I worry about them before every road game.




    -------------
    End the moderator oppression… Free Bela!

    http://www.petitiononline.com/freebela/petition.html

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •