AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Stay or Go? My current list for some of the veterans.

Here's my current "stay or go" list for 2010:

Marc Bulger: STAY (I think)
    The Rams need to draft a QB of the future in the first two rounds of the 2010 draft. I don't expect to change my mind about that one. But do we let Bulger go? If we can trade him for value... absolutely. If dumping his salary means bringing in a quality FA... probably. Otherwise, it seems to me that we need at least one established starting QB on the roster, and I'm not a big Boller fan.

Richie Incognito: GO
    Have the Rams missed a beat with Adam Goldberg playing OG? No. If anything, the line has played better while Richie's been hurt. As his contract is up, I don't see bidding much to keep him. He seems destined to be a Raider.

Alex Barron: STAY???
    As well has he has played lately (and he has played well), I can't see giving him a long-term LT deal. Not with the emerging J.Smith on the roster. But, do we let him go for nothing? Cap-permitting, I'd say we consider a franchise tag to hold him, and then try to trade him. If we can't, I could think of worse things than another year of Barron and Smith on the edges.

Randy McMichael: GO
    Is there anything that McMichael does that Fells and Bajema can't do for half the price?

Leonard Little: GO
    Don't let the 5 sacks fool you. He has 18 tackles this season. That's 2 per game. By comparison, Long has 28. Little has given the Rams a lot of good years, but its time to move on. If we need a veteran, Hall is likely a cheaper option.

O.J. Atogwe: STAY
    Say what you want about him, but he is still probably the top defensive playmaker on the team. You build around guys like him.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Stay or Go? My current list for some of the veterans.

I agree with who stays or go, Barron should stay we shouldn't break up the linemen's chemistry.. They are doing very well right now.

rams2061 Guest

Marc Bulger: GO
    So he had his moment with New Orleans. It only happens once a year. Last year it was Dallas. We need a QB that can do it ever game.

Alex Barron: STAY

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger: GO After the way Marc acted last year at being benched, I'd be seriously concerned about him being a veteran who will be comfortable stepping down as the starter to a rookie.

Richie Incognito: GO I've never been a fan. He's unreliable in my opinion.

The team has SO many needs, he actually is playing relatively well. If they sign him, limit the signing bonus as much as possible.

Zero doubt

He has supposedly talked of retirement.

O.J. Atogwe: DEPENDS
    Depends on the size of the contract. If you can sign him for a contract that isn't nuts, do it. He's a difference maker. But if he comes back wanting nutty money, I wouldn't be so scared to lose him that we do something dumb.

Adding a few more:

Massey: likely gone
    Adeyanju: I bet he's gone but I'd try and keep him.

RFAs: Ryan and Wade I'd try and resign. I like both of them.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger: STAY
    I still think we need to spend a top pick on a future franchise QB next year. But I am also not a fan of throwing him in the fire right away and we will also need a backup. Would like Bulger for one more year to start until our rookie QB is up to speed and then be ready to step in as a backup after that (I could see Bulger starting the first half of the season and then switching, I've seen a couple of other teams do that succesfully).

Bye. Not much to say except we're better off without him. Ridiculous penalties aside he is simply not a good enough player. And then when you add all the shenanigans...Bye.

Very tough choice. He looks sort of decent but he is not worth signing to a big deal, would keep him at the right price though.

I've been a big supporter of his for the last couple of years, but now I am finally convinced he's done. He looked to me like a great signing back when we got him, but he never worked out. Time to move on, he has nothing to offer anymore.

Leonard Little: STAY
    I would like him for one more year but only if he signs for a minimum or close to minimum contract. Would be used for rotating in as a situational pass-rusher on clear passing downs. The fact that we are not exactly loaded with quality DEs also factors in here.

He's a key player for this defense. Even if he hasn't been as much of a ballhawk as previously he's still got it. Anytime he's near the ball it's a potential turnover. With the right coaching which he will get with Spags he is a player to sign long term and then build around.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Bulger: Stay.
    He's already under contract, and the early outlook seems to suggest that we should be in okay shape with regard to the cap.

Incognito: Go.
    This is probably the toughest call for me. He sticks up for his teammates, and there's something to be said for a player who can get under his opponent's skin. On the other hand, he is undisciplined, and I'm not sure if his play can really make up for the penalties.

Barron: Go.
    He has done a decent job on the left, but it looks like Smith will be claiming that spot soon enough. It's not worth it to franchise him, and so many drives have ended because of those penalties.

McMichael: Go.
    I'd like to see Fells become the starter, but if he came back as a backup, that would be fine, too.

Little: Go.
    Good player, still productive, but even at defensive end, there aren't a lot of guys playing much past 35.

Atogwe: Stay.
    He's clearly one of our best players, and arguably one of the top players at his position in the league.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Bulger - Go. Time to move on - he's not the problem but he's also not the solution. If we let him go next season that saves us a little room under the cap next season and a lot the following year. He also cannot stay healthy (although I don't blame him for that, he's taken a lot of hits) and we can't afford to devote $10M or whatever it is to a player whose body is giving out on him.

Incognito - Stay. He's played well overall.

Barron - Depends on price. As a default, I'll say "Go" since I don't think we'll get him for a reasonable rate.

Little - Stay (for the league minimum), although I'd be very surprised if he didn't retire.

Atogwe - Stay. You can find some faults in his game, but he's a playmaker and a very good player overall.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

My main concern is Little. If he doesn't retire, I would at least want to keep him here for at least another year, and tutor and mentor Chris Long and a possible rookie DE. I would love from him to retire a Ram, unlike Bruce or Holt or Pace...Ugh.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Bulger (GO)
    Time for a new face to franchise gotta take him off the books save some cash. Bulger's 60mil and the crazy money a high first round QB will get IF we pick one will not mix

Cogs (Stay)
    We haven't missed a beat with Goldberg, but I think Barron will be too expensive to keep. Cogs is a good Run blocker and a good fit at RG. With Smith moving to LT we can move Goldberg to RT his natural position. Grecco fills the Goldbergs role as versatile backup.

Barron (GO)
    Smith is the future at LT, better sooner than later IMO. Also look at my cogs explanation

McMichael (Go real far away)
    He stinks horrible terrible. Go real far away and never come back. Bajema, Fells, and a rookie or FA

Little (GO)
    Hall Cheaper more versatile. Better against the run not a bad pass rusher either and he is 3 years younger. FA or draft pick is needed here, because we need some youth regardless

Atogwe (Stay)
    Playmaking safety has improved his weaknesses in his game. Only downside he is 28, but he still young and one of the est playmakers on the defense

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Bulger - When he has a receiver that can actually get open he looks like a pro bowler. Everyone who doesn't like him sees how he cannot improvise like a Romo or Roethlisberger but if he has time he can still play. The rest of the season is his audition, and the failure of a college QB to seperate himself from the pack is also helping him. Bringing in a 3rd round qb is the smarter option here because of the contract. A first round qb and too much money is tied up in one position which means Bulger is out of a job.

Little is most likely going to retire, but if he can play like this next season I'd love him to stay.

Barron is gone. Smith will get moved to LT and Barron is going to get big bucks in free agency as a left tackle from a desperate team. He is a good player but its two clashing philosophies. He was drafted during the Martz passing game, and we are turning to a power game. Smith is the perfect left tackle for our system if he emerges, and Greco, Goldberg are fine right tackles for little money.

I am torn on Incognito. The line has really come together without him, but is that just a coincidence. We will have the resources to keep him letting Barron go, so it is probably safer to keep him.

Absolutely keep Otogwe. With a good pass rush we have one of the best group of safeties in the league.

McMichael will be gone faster than a football in his hands.

Forgot about Hall, he is playing great at the DE position. He should be resigned.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Bulger (Go)...The money we'll save by releasing him will far outweigh his production on the field. Even at his best he's no 10 million a year QB. If we could get a draft pick or two for him, then that's another option that should be explored.

Incognito (Go)...The O-line has come a long way in a relatively short time, mostly without Incognito.

Barron (Go)...He must go simply because he'll be looking for starting LT money which he is not worth to the Rams because of Smith. However, should he hit the free-agent market and find no suitors, he'll be welcomed back at a reasonable price.

McMichael (Gone)...This one is the no-brainer of the group. He, like Bulger are tremendously overpaid for what they've provided over the last 3 years.

Little (Stay)...Of course he'd have to resign for much less than he's used to, and accept a role as a situational pass rusher.

Atogwe (Stay)...unless his asking price is too high, in which case, a trade for a couple of draft picks might be appealing.

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Everybody goes except Atogwe. I say we try to get something for Barron if possible though, I dont think thats possible though right cause we would have to resign him then??

And about Bulger im on either side, I do not want him to be the QB anymore but do you really think you can just plugin a rookie and except to be good. Maybe let him help the rookie out and get rid of him next year?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's my current "stay or go" list for 2010:

Marc Bulger: STAY (I think)
    The Rams need to draft a QB of the future in the first two rounds of the 2010 draft. I don't expect to change my mind about that one. But do we let Bulger go? If we can trade him for value... absolutely. If dumping his salary means bringing in a quality FA... probably. Otherwise, it seems to me that we need at least one established starting QB on the roster, and I'm not a big Boller fan.

Have the Rams missed a beat with Adam Goldberg playing OG? No. If anything, the line has played better while Richie's been hurt. As his contract is up, I don't see bidding much to keep him. He seems destined to be a Raider.

Alex Barron: STAY???
    As well has he has played lately (and he has played well), I can't see giving him a long-term LT deal. Not with the emerging J.Smith on the roster. But, do we let him go for nothing? Cap-permitting, I'd say we consider a franchise tag to hold him, and then try to trade him. If we can't, I could think of worse things than another year of Barron and Smith on the edges.

Is there anything that McMichael does that Fells and Bajema can't do for half the price?

Don't let the 5 sacks fool you. He has 18 tackles this season. That's 2 per game. By comparison, Long has 28. Little has given the Rams a lot of good years, but its time to move on. If we need a veteran, Hall is likely a cheaper option.

Say what you want about him, but he is still probably the top defensive playmaker on the team. You build around guys like him.
    Just a small note on Little you left out, he does have an INT for a TD to go along with his team leading 5 sacks.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Marc Bulger: STAY. One more year, at least. I agree the Rams should draft a QB of the future in the next draft. If they can afford to keep Bulger for one more year while that rookie develops, I hope they do. I don't like the idea of throwing rookie QBs into the fire.

Richie Incognito: STAY. Has the O-line performed well with #68 out of the lineup? Yes. Is Goldberg a long-term solution at RG? No. Cogs is just entering his prime and seems to be more self-conscious about how his outbursts hurt the team. Allowing him to establish himself as a team leader might even increase his desire to show some self-control. I simply don't agree with those that say he's overhyped because of his macho antics while his performance is lackluster. Single out the guy while watching a game and tell me you're not impressed.

Alex Barron: STAY. I wish he could, but he probably won't. If you cooked up a Left Tackle in a laboratory, you'd come out with a mold of Alex Barron. His attitude and desire has been questioned (hmm, kind of reminds me of Orlando Pace's early criticisms) but I've seen differently this year. He's been slamming into pileups and has even gotten into a few scuffles during games (showing he DOES care). It's too bad they'll have to let this guy go for $$$ reasons, but it shouldn't be hard to find a new RT.

Randy McMichael: GO. While he didn't miss a game before becoming a Ram, injuries have finally caught up to him. He's a great blocker but is too inconsistent as a receiver. In my limited opinion, Fells should already be starting over him.

Leonard Little: GO. I thought it was already a given that he's retiring after this season. If not, he can STAY for another year... ideally as a backup.

O.J. Atogwe: STAY. Atogwe is not your constant All-Pro, all-around safety, but he makes things happen.