Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Steal of the Draft

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Steal of the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Not just this pick, but this draft class as a whole. I think this draft will go down as the defining moment in the Fishnead era, and could/will quite possibly go down as the best draft in the history of the Rams. I dont remember ever being as excited for a draft class as a whole as I am this one.
    Perfectly put. We have so many players with killer potential that can improve our team. I hope all these guys pan out and we continue to build with our multiple 1st round picks in the next two years.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    MJD? Interesting.. Very different type of players in my opinion. MJD is extremely short and thick, mini version of SJAX. A thumper, running in between the tackles and pummel through guys. Pead reminds me of LeSean McCoy. A guy that can take a 5 yard run to the house at any time. Someone that can make 3 or 4 defenders miss on one play.
    I guess you might be more right on that. Pead for sure has more flash and brilliance than MJD, so he might be a better comparison with McCoy.

Not just this pick, but this draft class as a whole. I think this draft will go down as the defining moment in the Fishnead era, and could/will quite possibly go down as the best draft in the history of the Rams. I dont remember ever being as excited for a draft class as a whole as I am this one.

No question about it. In my opinion we got the best CB and HB in the draft. Arguably top 3 DT of the draft.

With Langford and Brockers, if they work out, we might have set ourselves up with a solid defensive line for YEARS to come. As long as we throw in that 3rd DT and 3rd DE for rotation of course. By the way I dled the updated rosters on Madden, they have langford at 86!

Of course if Jenkins is allright off-the-field and personal stuff wise. We might have one of the best, if not THE BEST CB combo in the league! Pead, Jackson - one of the best hb combo to come.

And last but not least; the potential of Brian Quick.

More than anything though, this draft has really defined our defense! Put aside the OLBs and one more safety needed. This defense is about to be very sick. Which is going to be very weird for me, because since I was 10 years old I have been a rams fan (1998). However, never have we had an elite defense. Actually never ever have we even had a very good D. Going to be very weird to watch my rams be mentioned as an elite defense in the future years.

Weird but awesome.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

By the way I was just looking at height/weight for Pead compared to MJD and McCoy. I just realized Pead has the same birthday as me, and he was born one year after me. Dec 14 88 here.. Dec 14 89 Pead

For me this is a sign he will be great haha.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    If this kid can catch the ball coming out of the backfield, watch out.

From the moment his named was called, I loved this pick.
    Draft Analysis:

Mayock's take: "Pead is an explosive, burst excelerator. He's great in space. I love the fact that St. Louis took him. Remember, they're trying to protect Sam Bradford, and you do that in a number of ways. Nobody is behind Steven Jackson, so you get this kid the ball in space."

Overview

Pead is an electrifying running back who has produced in all areas. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, make a guy miss and turn upfield for a score, or run inside the tackles. He uses his vision and athletic ability to find a hole. There are few question marks about Pead's skill set; some may worry about his play transferring to the next level, as he has shown the tendency to disappear at time. Pead should be one of the first three backs taken in the draft, with second-round value.

Analysis

Strengths

Pead has an initial step comparable to some of the best NFL backs. He hits the hole explosively, which allows him to get upfield and find a seam. He has good vision once he gets through the hole, and displays the lateral agility to make the first defender miss. He can dance around defenders but prefers to cut once and go. His burst, footwork and vision allow him to be a viable pass-catching option out of the backfield.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Nice.

He also has some Faulk (28) esque stop-start cuts. Very exciting. Somehow I don't think the holes/seams will be that large in the NFL though for the flat/off tackle they obviously liked to run in Cincy.

Fingers crossed and here's to a good and more importantly, HEALTHY camp for him and the other guys.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I probably won't end up considering Pead the "steal of the draft," but that has more to do with my view of the term than anything else. The term "steal" is relative; I look at it as a player whose value and performance on the field is drastically better than what his draft position would suggest he will do.

Let's start with the premise that Pead was drafted in the mid second round to be an immediate back-up/compliment to the Rams' current starter, Steven Jackson, and perhaps one day take over the primary role.

In the second round of the draft, teams are generally still looking for players with starting-caliber talent. There are numerous examples of starting running backs in the NFL who have emerged from the second round, let alone quality back-ups. So that sets the expectation for Pead; being an effective back-up who possibly becomes a starter down the road means he'll have met expectations. That makes for a draft success, but not necessarily a steal. Furthermore, Pead was selected around where he was expected to be, if not a little bit earlier.

Because of those factors, I don't know that I would personally view him as a steal, even if he ends up being a successful cog in the Rams' offensive system down the road. But I understand and appreciate the sentiment, especially after the Rams whiffed on their last attempt to draft a back-up RB in the second round (Mr. Leonard anyone?). And having said that, if Pead eventually becomes an elite-level starter for the Rams, then he'd probably have a better case for being a steal in the second round even though you still expect to find starters in that range. But that's a big what if at this point for a player who hasn't even played a down yet.

I think the prospect in this class that has more potential to end up being considered a steal, at least in the way I'm viewing the designation, is Chris Givens. I say that because he's a guy who not only was selected two rounds below where many projected him to go (meeting the good value requirement of a steal) but will also enter a Rams receiving corps that will give him plenty of opportunities to make a larger impact if he can step up and show his talent (meeting the potential for exceeding expectations based on where he was drafted).
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

TennMike is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Manoman, he scorched TN. About two thirds through (2:45), Pead bursts through the Tennessee line on afterburner.

If we can just block as good as Cincinatti.
    That's what I was gonna say. Thats really the only game I saw of him but good lord, he sure made an impression on me.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I probably won't end up considering Pead the "steal of the draft," but that has more to do with my view of the term than anything else. The term "steal" is relative; I look at it as a player whose value and performance on the field is drastically better than what his draft position would suggest he will do.

Let's start with the premise that Pead was drafted in the mid second round to be an immediate back-up/compliment to the Rams' current starter, Steven Jackson, and perhaps one day take over the primary role.

In the second round of the draft, teams are generally still looking for players with starting-caliber talent. There are numerous examples of starting running backs in the NFL who have emerged from the second round, let alone quality back-ups. So that sets the expectation for Pead; being an effective back-up who possibly becomes a starter down the road means he'll have met expectations. That makes for a draft success, but not necessarily a steal. Furthermore, Pead was selected around where he was expected to be, if not a little bit earlier.

Because of those factors, I don't know that I would personally view him as a steal, even if he ends up being a successful cog in the Rams' offensive system down the road. But I understand and appreciate the sentiment, especially after the Rams whiffed on their last attempt to draft a back-up RB in the second round (Mr. Leonard anyone?). And having said that, if Pead eventually becomes an elite-level starter for the Rams, then he'd probably have a better case for being a steal in the second round even though you still expect to find starters in that range. But that's a big what if at this point for a player who hasn't even played a down yet.

I think the prospect in this class that has more potential to end up being considered a steal, at least in the way I'm viewing the designation, is Chris Givens. I say that because he's a guy who not only was selected two rounds below where many projected him to go (meeting the good value requirement of a steal) but will also enter a Rams receiving corps that will give him plenty of opportunities to make a larger impact if he can step up and show his talent (meeting the potential for exceeding expectations based on where he was drafted).
    Yeah I agree with what you laid out here... when it comes to the definition of a steal. Givens could be that guy. He has the potential to be a number one.

Here is my steal UDFA

Matt Daniels, S, Duke - Daniels was named Duke football's MVP last year.
    Matt Daniels, has a huge chip coming in, he can lay the wood!

1st Team All-ACC 2011
    2nd Team All-American 2011
    7 career caused fumbles
    324 career tackles
    27 career PBUs
    4 career INTs

Matt Daniels Ultimate Highlight (explicit language).

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Yeah I know, where you been? And yeah, Pead and Jackson can be the best 1-2 punch in the NFL if we allow it.
    I quit my job being all nice and clean cut and work out in the oil fields now... Only problem is no Internet service! lol so log on every now and again.... I'm excited for this year and especially interested how Mr Pead and our CB's will fare...

Still waiting for my dude to get outta his rut! This is why I want our FO to dump SJ on somebody else's plate. There is a 50% chance he leaves after this season, we're not exactly in competition for the SB, and SJ is NO longer the best RB on this team. He leaves tons of yards on the field. Pead absolutely breaks ankles and finds places to go that just aren't there for about 95% of other RB's.

I believe Pead deserves to be the featured back here. I'd LOVE to see a time split between Pead and Richardson, 10-15 carries each. I'm sooo ready to see the next great Rams RB!, or perhaps 2!

THE DREAM TEAM

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Still waiting for my dude to get outta his rut! This is why I want our FO to dump SJ on somebody else's plate. There is a 50% chance he leaves after this season, we're not exactly in competition for the SB, and SJ is NO longer the best RB on this team. He leaves tons of yards on the field. Pead absolutely breaks ankles and finds places to go that just aren't there for about 95% of other RB's.

I believe Pead deserves to be the featured back here. I'd LOVE to see a time split between Pead and Richardson, 10-15 carries each. I'm sooo ready to see the next great Rams RB!, or perhaps 2!
    Wwwooohhh nelly.... Pead only has 4 or 5 carries on the season for a reason. 95%???? He only has like 40yds on the season

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Wwwooohhh nelly.... Pead only has 4 or 5 carries on the season for a reason. 95%???? He only has like 40yds on the season
    I meant from his college games he made people miss like no tomorrow, and trust me my friend, that wont change in the NFL. His speed, quickness, acceleration, and ability to cut on a dime hasn't changed a darn bit.

Look at this run here (I KNOW NO LINKS!!!); If Brian Quick held his block for 1 more second, we'd be taking about an 91 yard Isaiah Pead TD. RB Pead, 19-yd, run - NFL Videos

The guys a beast. I cant wait to see him get 10-20 carries a game.

THE DREAM TEAM

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Pead will get better, I don't know if he'll get split time after SJ is gone the way D Rich is playing, but I'm sure they will use him accordingly.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Steal of the Draft

If the Rams do trade SJ39 I would like to see them bring in a veteran as a backup. Soneone like a Jackie battle, Felix jones, or Kevin smith...

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I meant from his college games he made people miss like no tomorrow, and trust me my friend, that wont change in the NFL. His speed, quickness, acceleration, and ability to cut on a dime hasn't changed a darn bit.

Look at this run here (I KNOW NO LINKS!!!); If Brian Quick held his block for 1 more second, we'd be taking about an 91 yard Isaiah Pead TD. RB Pead, 19-yd, run - NFL Videos

The guys a beast. I cant wait to see him get 10-20 carries a game.
    Ok i got you, and that video is no longer available, unlesss its just my phone. But if it was the carry this last game where he looked like he was gonna break it, yea that was a good play and i liked it. He should get more carries now after that little performance!! And i think the steal of the draft has to be Richardson... He was almost Mr. Irrelevant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast