Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Stephen "Give me the ball" Jackson's Durability?

In all the hoopla and press given SJ about getting the ball more, I am starting to wonder if he can't handle the workload (and maybe Martz wasn't so dumb in not using him more). He was nicked up in college, and continues to get nicked up as a pro. Running the ball as much as he says he wants requires the ability to stay healthy and play through minor injuries. Given his running style (upright and vulnerable to hard hits); body type (very muscular so pulls and sprains are likely); and past history, I'm not sold that he can carry the load. In fact I'm guessing a 2nd round pick next year on a RB is something we'll see.

I hope I"m wrong, but I'm guessing the Rams will get 11-12 games out of him this year if he touches the ball 20+ times a game.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Stephen "Give me the ball" Jackson's Durability?

Especially running where he is most effective....up the middle. I would think that running the ball up the gut has more of a probability of getting hurt than running outside.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Another reason we need Marshall involved with the team. Marshall had the ability to avoid the direct hits most of the time and maybe just maybe he would be able to educate the young bull.

Well, this would have been the third year with Marshall....you would think that by now he may have taught the youngster this but.....

Why would it be Marshall's position to teach him that anyway?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Especially running where he is most effective....up the middle. I would think that running the ball up the gut has more of a probability of getting hurt than running outside.
    Well, but not necessarily. Typically, it's not the DL and MLBs on the inside that get RBs hurt, it's the Safeties, and OLBs on the outside. Those hits to the inside aren't usually with a full head of steam. If anyone is at full velocity, it's the ball carrier, not the DL, or MLB waiting for him near the LOS. However, on the outside, there are OLBs, FS, and SS seeing the carrier pick a side of the field and build acceleration to get to him. If you think about where a lot of RBs get carted off the field, it's typically closer to the sideline than the middle of the field.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I was thinking more along the lines of not necessarily getting hit, but having players fall on you awkwardly that would cause injuries like a knee or something. How often have we seen that a player doesn't get injured from the hit but from a guy being blocked into him or falling down on him at the most dangerous area.

Well, that is certainly a concern. I mean we see it all the time with linemen, so if SJ is trying to weave through traffic in there, he's certainly at risk.

Hopefully, the O-line can open up those big Mack truck holes that keep EVERYBODY away from Jackson.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I will endeavour to say as little as possible on this subject aside from the fact that this is how pronouncements can come back to haunt you and how past performance is often an indicator of future trends.

Hope he gets through it and is fit to go 1st preseason game and for the rest of the season.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Faulk is a completely different type of runner. Jackson needs to be able to use his brute force and run between the tackles for maximum effectiveness. Jackson gets in trouble more often than not when he runs sideways waiting for the hole to open. Faulk was an all time master at moving sideways and waiting for the hole and then darting through it. He also had a lot more speed in his prime than jackson. You cant worry about getting hurt, you have to play your game. Lets hope jackson holds up physically.

As a side note, faulk was tremendously underated as a between the tackles runner. Like a hard thrower that learns to be more of a pitcher as he matures and loses a little bit off his fastball (tom seaver), faulk was such a complete student of the game and so tough that he was able to use bursts of speed rather than pure burner speed as he matured as a back and ran more up the middle. He did a lot of damage under the theory that the shortest distance to the secondary was right up the middle and once faulk got through that first waive of tacklers without getting clobbered he was brutal to bring down one on one. Too many moves, the guy really could move in multiple directions at the same time. Jackson is more likely to run over or through guys.

ramming speed to all, boy do i miss marshall already

general counsel

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    I will endeavour to say as little as possible on this subject aside from the fact that this is how pronouncements can come back to haunt you and how past performance is often an indicator of future trends. Hope he gets through it and is fit to go 1st preseason game and for the rest of the season.

I agree with Ramhard. I think Jackson is going to go out with a whimper. I know the hoopla about this guy but I have not been impressed. I have never had the feeling that he is the "workhorse" kind of guy. I don't think he will stand up to the pounding. I know he was a proven stud in college but as guys move up to the NFL things change. His whining about not getting enough carries leads me to think he overrates himself and when the going gets tough he'll wither.

And, I have no confidence or hope whatsoever, that our O-Line is going to open up big holes for Herr Jackson. We might be expecting too much from the O-Line. Maybe next year, not this.

"With a little ding here,
    and a little ding there,
    here a ding, there a ding,
    everywhere a ding ding.
    Ol McJackson had a ding,
    ee yi ee yi ow!

Well, if he can't get it done, there's an even better version of him coming out of Louisville next year in Michael Bush. Louisville? Linehan? Better stay healthy, SJ.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He got dinged up last year as the primary starter averaging 17 carries a game and only sat out the final game of the season, playing in the other 15 contests. To his credit, it sounds as if he's been working hard both in the weight room and in preparation to try and improve himself as a runner, including his durability. A lot of it will depend on the offensive line and how well they open holes for him. If he's taking a lot of shots/hits from linemen and that run-stopping Mike 'backer, it's going to be a long season.

But I hope everyone realizes that guys who average 20+ carries a game over a season don't do so while remaining completely healthy all year. Of the running backs last year who averaged 20+ carries a game, none made it through the year completely healthy, some being injured more than others. The important thing is that despite their injuries, they all managed to play through the pain and appear in all of their teams' 16 games, so Jackson's going to have to do the same now that he's the man in St. Louis.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I hope everyone realizes that guys who average 20+ carries a game over a season don't do so while remaining completely healthy all year.
    And of the 11 who got at least 20 carries a game, only Davis (Houston) and McGahee (Buffalo) did so with a sub-par line. I know a lot of people gave the former administration heck for not running the ball enough, but when SJ is hit in the backfield due to a porous line, it's hard to call hand-offs 20+ times every game.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

SJ getting caught in the backfield. I'm not so sure that it's the o-lines fault, IMO Jackson has to think on his feet quicker.

general counsel is offline Registered User

People really have to give jackson a chance to shine in his own light. He can not and should not be compared to the great marshall faulk. Lets hope for the best, i am 100% sure that he will have a fantastic season if he gets the blocking. As just noted by our esteemed colleague, its very hard to run when you are getting hit in the backfield.

The one area i think jackson really needs to improve is short yardage and some of that is just playcalling. I dont want to see him running wide on third and one. Have him run right up the middle or right over pace and slam into the line to get the first down. Leave the dancing to others.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast