Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Steve Smith

gbill2004 is offline Registered User

Steve Smith

What are your thoughts and projections for Steve Smith this season? Do you see him as the Rams #1 WR?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Steve Smith

He had better be....

If the Rams go in with a rookie or Gibson at #1, that's a bad, bad sign of things to come. The offense absolutely needs the veteran to be just that. A veteran that can be depended on when they need a tough catch. If fans think Givens or Quick should be a #1 (or #2) guy, they're nuts. Rookie WR's are works-in-process. They need a full year or two to understand the pro game to be the go-to-guy. ..unless their name is Jerry Rice. Wait, even the greatest WR of all time had to wait two years to become "the guy". Rice had 3 TD's in year one and averaged about 3 catches per game in 1985.
    live4ramin and Flippin' Ram like this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

gbill2004 is offline Registered User

What are your statistical projections for him this season?

How does Gibson fit into the mix?
    Last edited by gbill2004; -08-03-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    He had better be....

If the Rams go in with a rookie or Gibson at #1, that's a bad, bad sign of things to come. The offense absolutely needs the veteran to be just that. A veteran that can be depended on when they need a tough catch. If fans think Givens or Quick should be a #1 (or #2) guy, they're nuts. Rookie WR's are works-in-process. They need a full year or two to understand the pro game to be the go-to-guy. ..unless their name is Jerry Rice. Wait, even the greatest WR of all time had to wait two years to become "the guy". Rice had 3 TD's in year one and averaged about 3 catches per game in 1985.
    Steve Smith and Danny Amendola are both working out of the slot, not sure how Smith can be the #1. Gibson I agree if he's our number one, that is not good. So where does that leave us? DX he's off to a slow start due to a hamstring, Salas is in year two and now is working outside.

When it comes to rookie receivers I would disagree with your take on how long it takes, due to the rules have changed and the NFL is a pass happy league for sure.

Look at AJ Green numbers in his rookie year 1,057 years 65 catches and 7 TD. Granted he is a big talent, but rookies receivers can come in and put up numbers. Another note he was playing with a rookie QB in Andy Dalton.

I would be concerned if we lined up two rookies in Quick and Givens as 1 and 2. I think it will be Quick, Salas and Amendola, We will see a lot of Givens even if he does not start. I also think Quick will be the number one from day one.
    Agrajag likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Steve Smith and Danny Amendola are both working out of the slot, not sure how Smith can be the #1.
    Smith has been known to slide around various WR positions; he can transition from the slot to the outside and vice versa. I believe he's capable being a #1 mismatch receiver and confuse opposing secondaries while other receivers get open. As RFRH put it, putting Gibson or a rookie in the #1 position spells disaster for the current state of our receiving corps.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Smith has been known to slide around various WR positions; he can transition from the slot to the outside and vice versa. I believe he's capable being a #1 mismatch receiver and confuse opposing secondaries while other receivers get open. As RFRH put it, putting Gibson or a rookie in the #1 position spells disaster for the current state of our receiving corps.
    Smith did most of his damage at the slot and as of today he is working in the slot and learning the offense at the slot. That being said it does not look like the Rams plan on having him as the outside receiver come opening day anyways.

By Nick Wagoner
    With Amendola and Smith handling much of the work in the slot position Salas had played for the most part in 2011, Schottenheimer and receivers coach Ray Sherman asked Salas to move to the outside.
    So if you are looking at where the coaches are working the players... Smith is inside. That leaves Gibson, Salas and DX.... Pettis?

So who is it going to be?

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I hate Gibson he never creates separation on the outside and has flimsy hands.Ill take my chances with any and everyone else on the roster over Gibson.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Mark Clayton 2.0? I'd much rather have Salas take his time starting on the outside. Salas has great potential, but at least we have a nice mix of WR's and depth that can interchange. Salas, Amendola, Pettis, Smith, and Givens can all play all 3 positions. Quick and DX will hold the outside jobs down.

THE DREAM TEAM

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm really unsure about what the coaches are thinking about with Smith learning the slot. Yes, he's been a very good slot receiver before, but he also was Eli's security blanket while playing outside for the Giants. Further, we have arguably, one of the best slot guys in the league in Amendola. We're not going to be playing a lot of 4 receiver sets, so only one guy's going to be playing from the slot. I'd assume that we'd have a depth chart like in 2010 where Amendola plays outside in 2 WR sets(opposite Quick) and slides in on 3 WR sets, and then hopefully we have Givens up to a level where he can bring the top off and give Amendola or Quick some running room for YAC.

I guess Smith and Salas battle it out for Amendola's main backup while Gibson, Pettis and DX battle for the remaining spots.
    I believe!