Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    supachump is offline Registered User

Exclamation Steve "Stutter Step" Jackson

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really tired of seeing Jackson take a couple of steps and then a stop before running again. He is losing all momentum and is only hurting his running game.

Help me understand. Does he believe that he is faking out would-be-tacklers? If so, it isn't working very often.

It is almost comical at times. He takes a few steps, jumps up and lands on both feet and then decides which way to go. Stop it!

This guy is big and powerful, he needs to just run full speed into people -bowling them down like pins, not slow down and give the defense a better opportunity to pull him down.

You are hurting yourself and helping the defense. STOP IT!!!

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: Steve "Stutter Step" Jackson

Agree with what your saying, he seems to dance before hitting the hole, and by that time the slime hole has disappeared, the guys calling the game where saying this through the game. Why doesn't he just GO rather than stop and then the big guy has to get going again.....plant that foot again..

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Yes, I hate this too, and it contributes to the nonsense that I keep hearing which is that our offensive line did not play well yesterday. That is crap, because the O-line had a very solid game. I am tired of all the hype around Jackson, and tired of hearing excuses about his play. He is terrible right now. Running backs are a dime a dozen in this league, and he isn't doing anything to indicate he is an elite player at this point. He looks rather ordinary to me ...

Bulger barely got hit yesterday. The one time he got sacked was not the O-line's fault, it was Kreider's fault, he needs to be cut by the way. He is horrible. I bet Leonard would have made that block ...

I saw at least a half dozen occasions yesterday where there was a significant hole for Jackson to run through. Instead, he sits and bounces, as if he is Barry Sanders. Barry Sanders had MAJOR speed, and well, Jackson got ran down on that screen pass, so call it conditioning, or call it what you want, but his running style sucks ...

The way Leonard hits the hole, he would have had 120 yards in this game on the ground. The holes were there ...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This stutter stepping and dancing probably works against our defense during practice but it's not working against the rest of the defenses in the NFL.

Dwight Frye is online now Registered User

I agree too. However, the other side of that, is maybe the holes aren't there. I think the guy is trying to figure out where to run. The holes, if their there at all, are at least a half second late. He HAS to wait. It's like the Bulger being damaged goods argument. I have no doubt these guys were, errr ARE good, but Marc's been hit so many times, I'm not sure he'll EVER recover. As for SJ, I think maybe he's just trying to do to much himself. There are so many things wrong w/ this team, I'd hate to think SJ might be one too.

K. We posted at the same time. Now my argument doesn't look as good. Thanks, guys!

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

I agree to a point, but also disagree. Jackson made a comment on the Rams site that we played right into the Seahawks strength by doing too many sweeps. They have very fast but smaller line backers, and they can just about fly from side to side. But hit them head on straight and Jackson could have pounded out the yards a little better. He needs to run more up the middle in the tackle box.

As people have pointed out he is not Barry, he is a bit more like Bettis, although he has good catching ability as well. Run downhill between the tackles with some power. He is not responsible for the horrendous play calling. All he can do is try to make the best of it.

That said, I agree he also has some happy feet. The O line may have played a little better this week, but once you get a bit gun shy it takes more than one game to regain your trust in their ability.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

The playcalling was bad- but he still dances far too much and go does way too easy for a back his size. Tye Hill could probably tackle him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    The playcalling was bad- but he still dances far too much and go does way too easy for a back his size. Tye Hill could probably tackle him at this point.
    Jackson should have had over 100 yards. I rewatched the game and could easily see a hole he missed a half dozen times. If he hits it, its a 8-10 yard gain each time ....

Maybe push him out of bounds, but tackle him? Never. We couldn't trade Tye for a pack of smokes.

btimsah Guest

I like Pittman better, and he's cheaper. Give me a patient north-south runner with good vision anyday.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Jackson isn't a big "break tackle" guy, when it comes to making guys miss right off the bat or laterally in space. Go back and read some of the scouting reports on him coming out in 2004. He's a guy who really needs to work up to full speed in order to shed tackles; he's not a guy that just does it right off the bat. His size is deceptive in that it makes people think he's this kind of big bruising runner, but really I don't think he is.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You people are thinking about this all wrong. He's not "stutter stepping" or "waiting for a hole". He's dancing to MC Hammer!

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh STOP! Jackson Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jackson isn't a big "break tackle" guy, when it comes to making guys miss right off the bat or laterally in space. Go back and read some of the scouting reports on him coming out in 2004. He's a guy who really needs to work up to full speed in order to shed tackles; he's not a guy that just does it right off the bat. His size is deceptive in that it makes people think he's this kind of big bruising runner, but really I don't think he is.
    Maybe so, but those spin moves on the swing pass were wicked. Nobody could tackle a guy his size making moves like that ...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Maybe so, but those spin moves on the swing pass were wicked. Nobody could tackle a guy his size making moves like that ...
    Good post.

But that brings up the argument once again. Once he starts moving, he's hard to stop. If you have probably noticed, alot of Jackson's big runs are up the middle. So if he gets the momentum up the middle, players will start to slide off of him or straight up miss the tackle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast