Thread: Steven Jackson

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Steven Jackson

We are used to seeing Steven Jackson handling the ball 20-30 times per game. With him missing training camp and the preseason how will Scott Linehan and Al Saunders handle our Beast?

***RUMOR*** is fewer touches than normal for the Eagles game.

What if the only way we can hang with the Eagles is to give a heavy dose of SJ?

How important is this first game of the season?

YodaRam Guest

Re: Steven Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    We are used to seeing Steven Jackson handling the ball 20-30 times per game. With him missing training camp and the preseason how will Scott Linehan and Al Saunders handle our Beast?

I would hope that said "Beast" would be used according to what the game dictates. And that if we needed him more than "scripted". We would. .........
    That's actually a very interesting question, laramO.
    To me, it's a question of how committed the Rams organization is to winning "this year". Do they feel that the pieces are in place? Or do they see a "future" plan for success in the following years? Say 1 to 2 years. In other words "how hard do they want the dog to fight"? Especially when said "Beast has just landed a multi-million dollar contract with multi-millions of ""GUARANTEED"dollars.
    And this is where i find the players leverage to be justified. Without the guaranteed money on a contract, a franchise can work an individual into the ground like a tool. And when the "tool" breaks, throw it away. But when guaranteed money is involved a franchise has a vested interest in a players success and well being. At least until they've reaped the rewards of their investment. And then the game begins again.
    The first game is extremely important but does not require a win. It only requires "team" satisfaction that every effort was given to try to win. And i'll be happy with that........."When monkeys fly out my butt"

RAM ON!
    Last edited by YodaRam; -09-03-2008 at 01:31 PM.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

I think the only way we hang with the Eagles is if our O-line can open some big holes for Steven. Saunders can and will run out of a 3 WR set, and with Kreider on board and either Becht or R-Mac or both occasionally, Steven could have some very nice runs. I don't think Steven has to have 25-30 touches for us to win, but when he does get the call, those opportunities must count. If Jackson can run well early, he will be in the heads of the Eagles D .. Saunders will know how to best exploit this and do so .. If our O-line can't get any push though we'll be in for a long day ..

How important is this game? VERY!! A win on the road against a good team which is projected to beat us will have the players drinking the coaches' kool-aid from the get go. Confidence is a crucial factor in winning. A win in Philly would be HUGE!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Did LT play in preseason? Why worry a beast is a beast!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Did LT play in preseason? Why worry a beast is a beast!
    No LT didn't play in preseason, but he did get his reps in practice .. Steven's situation is different. However, Steven will have very fresh legs and he'll be raring to go. Jackson is a very proud man, and I've no doubt he'll do his best to earn the big money the Rams are now paying him. Let's hope our O-line is up to the challenge ..

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

How important is this game? VERY!! A win on the road against a good team which is projected to beat us will have the players drinking the coaches' kool-aid from the get go. Confidence is a crucial factor in winning. A win in Philly would be HUGE!

Agreed. I think that this game is VERY important, and I hope we do whatever is necessary to win. If that is give it to Jax 25 times, then so be it. I know it is only one game, but a win here would do wonders as far as confidence and whether or not the players AND the fans should buy into this regime. I say we start with a HUGE win on the road, and instead of that 'slow fade into mediocrity', we can start to 'fade' towards the division crown.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    No LT didn't play in preseason, but he did get his reps in practice .. Steven's situation is different. However, Steven will have very fresh legs and he'll be raring to go. Jackson is a very proud man, and I've no doubt he'll do his best to earn the big money the Rams are now paying him. Let's hope our O-line is up to the challenge ..
    Exactly. LT also has the same system this year as last. Jackson has a new system AND has gotten no preseason carries. However, his legs should be fresh for Philly. I would expect the weary legs to be more of a problem in the second and third games....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Exactly. LT also has the same system this year as last. Jackson has a new system AND has gotten no preseason carries. However, his legs should be fresh for Philly. I would expect the weary legs to be more of a problem in the second and third games....
    It is a new system but Jackson is a running back. It's not like he's learning new routes or how to read defenses. I think he will be fine and he will be ready for a heavy workload. The only thing that worries me is his pass blocking. Not knowing the system may hurt him in this regard but if he's not up to speed we can always use Leonard as our third down back until S.J. get's used to his pass blocking responsibilities. I would be much more worried if he was a offensive lineman or a wide receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Agreed on the second and third games .. #39 will be sky high and full of adrenaline for the opener ..

eldfan is offline Registered User

I wounder will the game planed be alter because of hurricane Hanna which looks like it might be in that area by Sunday. SJ might have to get more carries.
    :ramlogo:

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

In 06 he did wonders behind a mediocre O-line. With the injuries last year i'm surprised he still gained over a grand. This year, you could say our line is new-used and somewhat improved. Just recently i saw a clip of him and some of his incredible runs on youtube and i'm telling you, if he gets any type of running room, the Eagles front 7 are gonna be in some real pain. BRING IT JAX!!! BRING IT!!!

Rambos is offline Registered User

SJ has to get the ball early an often. I worry he may fumble not having any contact. He had two in one game early last year. The O line has openned some nice holes in preseason, can't wait to see SJ hit them!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    In 06 he did wonders behind a mediocre O-line. With the injuries last year i'm surprised he still gained over a grand. This year, you could say our line is new-used and somewhat improved. Just recently i saw a clip of him and some of his incredible runs on youtube and i'm telling you, if he gets any type of running room, the Eagles front 7 are gonna be in some real pain. BRING IT JAX!!! BRING IT!!!
    Jackson had a difficult time running straight through the line last year, unlike previous season. Our interior line really struggled to open lanes for the run. However, he kept chugging away and knocked off 2 or 3 yards every time, when a lesser back might have been stuffed for nothing ...

What really impressed me about Jackson last year was his ability to improvise behind a weak line, resulting in, if IIRC, 6 runs of 35 yards of more. This is incredible for a back his size ...

He doesn't need 150 yards on 20 carries to help win this game. I solid 18-20 carries for 75-80 yards would do it. We just need to keep the chains moving. If we can get one huge run out of him, it could be game changing ...

I really do think this game will be decided on one huge play from either side. I think Philly's best chance is to get it in the return game. Our best chance is a long Jackson run or a deep play action pass over the middle ...

Is this game critical? ABSOLUTELY! We win this game, and I think we are 3-1 after 4 weeks. We lose it, and I think we are 1-3 after 4 weeks. The confidence issue is that BIG ....

schut39 is offline Registered User

I've heard both rumors that he is going to get barely any carries and that he is going get many carries. So right now it could go either way. I'm thinking that he is going to get quite a few carries, but will share some with Pittmann. I also want to see Krieder getting some time. He's alot larger than Leonard so he can open up bigger holes for SJ. Anyone else wanna see Krieder get some time?

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    I've heard both rumors that he is going to get barely any carries and that he is going get many carries. So right now it could go either way. I'm thinking that he is going to get quite a few carries, but will share some with Pittmann. I also want to see Krieder getting some time. He's alot larger than Leonard so he can open up bigger holes for SJ. Anyone else wanna see Krieder get some time?
    Don't worry about Kreider getting playing time .. he'll get plenty guaranteed!!