View Poll Results: Is Steven Jackson an "All-Time Rams Great"?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. He's already there.

26 65.00%
  • Not yet, but he's well on his way.

6 15.00%
  • The stat sheet says "yes," the W/L record says "no."

4 10.00%
  • He's a notch below the All-Timers, and probably always will be.

4 10.00%
  • No. In fact, if anything, he's overrated.

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is Steven Jackson an "All-Time Rams Great"?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Is Steven Jackson an "All-Time Rams Great"?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    how far down the rankings do you go before you stop calling a player an All-Time franchise great?

Dickerson and Faulk are all-time NFL greats who are in the Hall of Fame. Since they were Rams arguably in their prime, that's who Jackson will be compared to. IMO to break into the all-time greats of the franchise, you MUST be in the NFL Hall of Fame and Jackson isn't in those reaches. Statistically, Jackson is very similar to a Garrison Hearst.
    I would have to disagree.

Jackson is already a all time Rams great. Key word in that is Rams all time great not all time great, yet.

Eric and Marshall were all time greats. They proved they can do it for a long time and for multiple teams.

Jackson has proved he could endure and push through the hard times when he was the only weapon we had. Jackson has rushed for more yards then Marshall and Eric both for the Rams. So I believe with that it makes him a all time Rams great.

And are you really comparing Jackson to hearst? They have similar numbers but Jackson has done it in less games. Not to mention Jackson has ran for over 1000 yards for 6 seasons in a row. Hearst only played for the whiners for 5 years in which he had over 1000 in 3 of those. Jackson has played for 7 with us and is our all time leading rusher. Hearst never played for a team for more than 5 and was actually apart of 4 different teams. What hearst did in 11 years Jackson has done in 7 and for teams that were considerably worse. If you don't remember Young played with hearst they had a good record almost his entire stint with the whiners. Hearst is fifth in whiners all time rushing where as Jackson is first for the Rams. Need to come up with a better comparison because hearst is no SJ39.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    IMO to break into the all-time greats of the franchise, you MUST be in the NFL Hall of Fame and Jackson isn't in those reaches.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but it seems a bit extreme to me. Is Chris Carter an all-time great Viking? Ken Stabler, Ray Guy or Tim Brown all-time great Faiders? Andre Reed an all-time great Bill? Roger Craig an all-time great whiner? Jerry Kramer an all-time great Packer? None of these guys are in the Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    And are you really comparing Jackson to hearst? They have similar numbers but Jackson has done it in less games. Not to mention Jackson has ran for over 1000 yards for 6 seasons in a row. Hearst only played for the whiners for 5 years in which he had over 1000 in 3 of those. Jackson has played for 7 with us and is our all time leading rusher. Hearst never played for a team for more than 5 and was actually apart of 4 different teams. What hearst did in 11 years Jackson has done in 7 and for teams that were considerably worse.
    Good points. I'm not sure Hearst is a legitimate comparison.

Dreadlock is offline Registered User

Rough numbers:
    100 games Hearst averaged 4.4 ypc.

139? games Jackson has 4.2 ypc. Jackson is far more of a workhorse than Hearst but when running they are very similar. Hearts was a more productive receiver while also sharing the load. Most of those years Kirby and Barlow had 125+ carries. Jackson hasn't seen that type of competition and fans keep demanding they add depth every year.

If you look at Jackson when he did have competition in an aged Stephen Davis, they each put up very similar numbers.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Steven Jackson: 79.5 rushing yards/game; 26.7 receiving yards/game; 106.2 total yards/game
    Garrison Hearst: 63.2 rushing yards/game; 16.4 receiving yards/game; 79.6 total yards/game

I think we can move on from that comparison.

A closer comparison would be:

Clinton Portis: 87.8 rushing yards/game; 17.9 receiving yards/game; 105.7 total yards/game

Dreadlock is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think we can move on from that comparison.
    Thanks for deciding everything for everyone. Using per game stats isn't a good example. Better to use per attempt and rushing styles. Hearst and Jackson are very similar. If you use per game stats you are punishing RBs for playing with quality backups and rewards teams that don't value depth.

Lawrence McCutcheon had 5 pro-bowls and has spent over 30 years with the organization. The greatest RB in franchise history.
    Last edited by Dreadlock; -06-23-2011 at 09:04 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlock View Post
    Thanks for deciding everything for everyone. Using per game stats isn't a good example. Better to use per attempt and rushing styles. Hearst and Jackson are very similar. If you use per game stats you are punishing RBs for playing with quality backups and rewards teams that don't value depth.

Lawrence McCutcheon had 5 pro-bowls and has spent over 30 years with the organization. The greatest RB in franchise history.
    So if you look at ypc then hearst wins by .2 yards. Sorry but hearst still loses the argument. And if you are saying Lawrence is better than Faulk, Dickerson, and Jackson you need to have your head checked. Lawrence even if you just count his time with the rams (he played for four teams) he averged the same amount as Jackson at 4.2. So I am not sure where your really going with this. Similar running styles don't get you recognized as a all time great just because you ran like one. Avenger "decided" for everyone because anyone can see your comparing apples to oranges. There is no comparing hearst to Jackson if you haven't read AV's or my post I suggest you read them and see how they can not be compared...

The question wasn't who is the best running back in Rams history it was, Is Jackson a all time Rams great....

I'm not taking anything away from Lawrence I am sure he was fun to watch. But to say he is better than Faulk, Dickerson, and Jackson is just wrong.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -06-23-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Typo

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I think Jackson should be considered an all-time great Ram just for putting in all the work and taking the punishment on those horrific Linehan teams.

I'm hoping he gets the chance to get a few more TDs and yards in the next few years.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Thanks for deciding everything for everyone.
    Hyperbole much?
    Better to use per attempt and rushing styles.
    If by better you mean worse. Dickerson and Faulk are tied for 79th in franchise career ypa. Surely you're not suggesting there are 78 Rams RBs better than Dickerson and Faulk?
    If you use per game stats you are punishing RBs for playing with quality backups
    If they were an "all-time great" they wouldn't need quality backups.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlock View Post
    Thanks for deciding everything for everyone.
    You're welcome. By the way, that shirt you're wearing doesn't match those pants.

Using per game stats isn't a good example. Better to use per attempt and rushing styles.
    I guess you don't get the irony of critcizing my analysis and then announcing that its "better to use" your stats.

Frankly, I find it absurd that you would assert that YPC is a good comparison while YPG is not. By that measure, Darren Sproles is better than both, as he has a career YPC of 4.6. Never mind that he's never had 100 carries in a season.

Hearst and Jackson are very similar. If you use per game stats you are punishing RBs for playing with quality backups and rewards teams that don't value depth.
    And if you use YPC you're giving an advantage to players who have a lighter workload and don't have to face 8-9 man fronts as often.

So now its not YPC or YPG but, rather, "total years with organization" that defines greatness?

Make up your mind already.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Based on his individual accomplishments, I would say yes to being an "All Time Great Ram."

But if that question extends to Jackson also being considered/included in the Rams Ring of Fame, I would say no, since every Ram included in the Ring of Fame (aside from Jack Snow) is also a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

RAMpage28 is offline Registered User

If anybody chose the last option I would kill them.... or maybe give them a stern talking too.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Heck yes he is.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Jackson is currently very much in the discussion as one of the best Rams runningbacks in history, but it's tough to say when it comes to the "Ring of Fame". The one reservation I would have in putting him among the franchise's all-time elite is the lack of real defining moments when Jackson took over a game or ripped off a big run to put an opponent away. When we played Seattle in Week 17 with the opportunity to return to the playoffs for the first time in years, Jackson puts up a total of 45 yards on 11 carries with a long of 13 yards. He's a workhorse no doubt, but he has rarely put the game on his own shoulders and carried us to victory.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

To be fair Steven was having a good game until we totally decided to take the game out of his hands and place them in Bradford and the receivers' to disastrous results.

Shutting the running game down early in that game was one of the many things I and many other fans and pundits found baffling as far as game time decisions for that game was concerned.
    live4ramin likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Goldenfleece, as to your comment about not having a lot of memories of Jax really slamming the door on a team, I have a huge memory of the Cowboys game from 2008, where Jax just completely dominated the Cowboys to the tune of 25 carries for 160 yards and 3 TD's. I remember one run where he fought through a tackle or two and then just burst up the seam and outran their secondary to the endzone. It was the exact kind of run that Marshall could do to you where if you gave him a path, he could light those burners and be gone. That's why I've always thought that people don't give enough credit to Steven's speed. Yes, he's a big back who loves to go through people, but he's just as good with a stiff arm and running past people.
    I believe!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast