Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Steven Jackson "bring It"

S T E V E N J A C K S O N BRING IT !!!!!

IS THIS WHAT YOUR ABOUT ?

YOU ARE SINGLE HANDEDLY EQUALIZING EVERYTHING THAT WAS PLANNED FOR , IN THIS PRE-SEASON. OVER GREED.

I BLAME THE COACHING STAFF THAT ARE EVEN ASSUMING THIS IS OK. LOMBARDI WOULDN'T EVEN LET YOU BACK IN CAMP. HALAS WOULD HAVE CUT YOU.

CALLING TO TEAM MATES TO SEE WHAT WAS COVERED /..LMAO.

LET ME CLUE YOU IN... YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO YOUR FANS, AND RIGHT NOW, THIS FAN THINKS YOUR A PUTZ....YES A PUTZ..

ATTITUDE - CHARACTER - LEADERSHIP

WHICH OF THE TRAIT DO YOU EXIBIT HERE........YOU SAY NONE..

ME TOO..... AT LEAST WE AGREE.

IF YOUR NOT IN CAMP MONDAY PACK IT !

YOU HEAR LINEHAN !!!!! THIS SUX

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson "bring It"

Quote Originally Posted by St.Louis Ram 56 View Post
    S T E V E N J A C K S O N
    IS THIS WHAT YOUR'RE ABOUT ?

IF YOUR'RE NOT IN CAMP MONDAY PACK IT !
    Can't blame you, 56. It is tough and it hurts, especially when one of the top negotiation requests is to have Jax at camp days ago. // I'm really hoping this gets solved early next week.

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

Yeah Bro.......It cuts like a knife

Everything we built in preseason draft, trumped !

YodaRam Guest

YOU ARE SINGLE HANDEDLY EQUALIZING EVERYTHING THAT WAS PLANNED FOR , IN THIS PRE-SEASON. OVER GREED.

I BLAME THE COACHING STAFF THAT ARE EVEN ASSUMING THIS IS OK. LOMBARDI WOULDN'T EVEN LET YOU BACK IN CAMP. HALAS WOULD HAVE CUT YOU.

LET ME CLUE YOU IN... YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO YOUR FANS, AND RIGHT NOW, THIS FAN THINKS YOUR A PUTZ....YES A PUTZ..

That is RICH 56!!! Way to bring it, man!! ....But hey, Linehan and Jackson are 'text messaging" each other. That should give us some warm and fuzzies ......right? ...well maybe not.
    I want St. Louis Ram 56 as our running back! I don't know how successful he would be but i would have no question about his loyalty or work ethic.

FIFTY SIX! FIFTY SIX! FIFTY SIX!........might have to change the number, though. No matter! FIFTY SIX! FIFTY SIX..............

RAM ON!

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Feel your pain, but when NFL teams start acting with some sort of intergrity then players will, players sure don't play for free and this aint pop warner. You should blame the Rams for not getting this done earlier, they had plenty of time to get it done, and they didn't plain and simple. There is no way he should go into camp being a lame duck, you should be happy this shows at least he wants to stay. I tell you what they'd better get it done quickly so that this doesn't turn into a Orlando Pace type situation. The last thing you wanna do is have a player unhappy in a franchise tag situation. I'm for him getting his money, and that whole deal about them cutting him is not that smart cause another team would be happy to pick him up. He's shown what he can do and they should take care of him.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I have a lot of sympathy with 56 here.

The issue that crops regularly in professional sports as a whole not just football, is that players have gotten into the habit of forgetting the terms of their original contract and seeking to move or renegotiate in advance of their remaining years.

Often, this is at the behest of the ever-present larcenist, the agent. Having worked out contract value escalation by position over the period their client's existing contract, guaged performance and weighed certain 'intangibles' like appearing as the featured player in a teams adterisement effort, the agent starts whispering sweet nothings.

Those sweet nothings can be boiled down to this:

Renege on your current contract, hold out for a better deal and if doesn't happen sit out the year and we'll move teams for a much bigger deal.

If a player is smart he keeps his mouth shut during the whole process, if he's not he issues a Jerry Maguire-like " You can't believe how hard it is to play for 1mil a year plus bonuses". The public throws him in the stocks of negative publicity and pelts him with the verbal equivalent of rotten fruit. He doesn't care because he knows that if he gets them to the playoffs the smell will soon disappear and they'll love him again.

But here's the rub.

The very next time said player decides to castigate certain section of the fanbase for being as solid as jelly in the face of adversity, he'll find he runs out of credibility. Its hard to talk about commitment after being seen to renege on the contract you were more than happy to sign 4 years ago. Its hard to talk about being totally behind the effort to turn the franchise around when you're sitting at home, trying read your playbook through your PDA. Its hard to get 2500 yards when you miss the first 2-3 weeks of pre-season and the installation of a complex offense.

He'll be re-signed. He's a great player. He'll do really well in Al's offense if he stays injury free. He's vital to the franchise turning things around.

I just wish that when players sign the bloody contract that they play it out.

Its called good faith.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I have a lot of sympathy with 56 here.

The issue that crops regularly in professional sports as a whole not just football, is that players have gotten into the habit of forgetting the terms of their original contract and seeking to move or renegotiate in advance of their remaining years.

Often, this is at the behest of the ever-present larcenist, the agent. Having worked out contract value escalation by position over the period their client's existing contract, guaged performance and weighed certain 'intangibles' like appearing as the featured player in a teams adterisement effort, the agent starts whispering sweet nothings.

Those sweet nothings can be boiled down to this:

Renege on your current contract, hold out for a better deal and if doesn't happen sit out the year and we'll move teams for a much bigger deal.

If a player is smart he keeps his mouth shut during the whole process, if he's not he issues a Jerry Maguire-like " You can't believe how hard it is to play for 1mil a year plus bonuses". The public throws him in the stocks of negative publicity and pelts him with the verbal equivalent of rotten fruit. He doesn't care because he knows that if he gets them to the playoffs the smell will soon disappear and they'll love him again.

But here's the rub.

The very next time said player decides to castigate certain section of the fanbase for being as solid as jelly in the face of adversity, he'll find he runs out of credibility. Its hard to talk about commitment after being seen to renege on the contract you were more than happy to sign 4 years ago. Its hard to talk about being totally behind the effort to turn the franchise around when you're sitting at home, trying read your playbook through your PDA. Its hard to get 2500 yards when you miss the first 2-3 weeks of pre-season and the installation of a complex offense.

He'll be re-signed. He's a great player. He'll do really well in Al's offense if he stays injury free. He's vital to the franchise turning things around.

I just wish that when players sign the bloody contract that they play it out.

Its called good faith.
    Excellent post, Fat Pang. "The rub" comments are correct!
    As far as "good faith" goes. I think that phrase is more of a concept than a reality. Sadly....

RAM ON!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Feel your pain, but when NFL teams start acting with some sort of intergrity then players will, players sure don't play for free and this aint pop warner. You should blame the Rams for not getting this done earlier, they had plenty of time to get it done, and they didn't plain and simple.
    I would venture to say that Steven Jacksons' situation with his agent(s) had alot to do with this issue not being addressed sooner by the RAMS.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I hope you guys are hard on everyone that holds out not just Steven Jackson. Were you guys this harsh to Faulk. How about Henry Ellard when he mssed 88 days and 7 regular season games did you guys treat him this harshly? Did Ellard,Faulk and Dickerson all deserve to be released because Lombardi would have released them? Or is it just Jackson that deserves this? I don't like holdout's because it's not really good for either side but it doesnt mean Jackson isnt dedicated or mean he isnt a team player. Were Faulk and Ellard not dedicated and not team players because they heldout? Ellard missed 7 regular season games and he is a Rams icon. I think Jackson is getting a lot of un-warrented flak for holding out. Unfortunately it's the nature of the business that is the NFL.
    Just Fix It

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you're looking for something to blame, I think you can blame the franchise tag. Without that rule, the Rams would be forced to re-sign Jackson now or risk competing for his services next year. With the tag, the Rams have a safety net that keeps them from having to re-sign Jackson in the foreseeable future.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Some very good posts have come in this thread, especially the one that kicked it off, very nice 56.

I still feel the same way that I've felt for the last few months. Both sides are better off if Jax resigns before the year starts. Jax will be protected against injury and the Rams will seal him up long term, however, now it has the added pressure that he is holding out and is no doubt getting fined for missing camp. If Jackson wanted to hold out the first day or even the first weekend, I could understand. It would be a symbolic gesture saying that he didn't have to come, but he wanted to get into camp and get to work. I think Devin Hester did it exactly right. He said that he would hold out until he got a deal, but then showed up on the second day, having shown that yes, he could hold out, but he wanted to get to work and trusted a deal would get done.

Jackson is just about at that line in my mind. The line between holding out but being a team player and wanting to get to work and the disruptive player who is just in it for the money. And the key is, he's under contract. He agreed to the deal and the deal is that he is there for camp. Hold out in the offseason, hold out for a day or two to start camp, but after that, get into camp and work if you're under contract.

Usually I support the player, because, as Ocho Cinco said, the team doesn't have to hold up its part of the bargain(they can cut players), why should players? They need to get all they can when they can. However, the Rams have asked that Jax get into camp to work and that he will be taken care of. There's no reason for the Rams to lie about that because, simply, we have no great depth behind him. Sure, Pittman could be the next Ryan Grant, however, it's unlikely. The Rams want Jackson long term and Jackson needs to realize that. The Rams will be much more willing to give him more money if he gets his butt to Mequon.

So yeah, I agree with 56. Jackson, if you don't get into camp within a few days, I'm all for trading your butt for a couple 1st round picks and either moving on or maybe trading the Giants for one of their backs. I hear that the Bears could use a starting RB.

Milan is offline Registered User

The game's changed, the attitudes have changed. It's not 1975 anymore where players are willing to work for cheap. Name me one top-5 player in his position that's working for $600,000 per year or less...I'll wait. The holdout isn't a new phenomenon introduced by Steven Jackson and this is pretty much the only way players can get leverage when asking for a new contract.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    The holdout isn't a new phenomenon introduced by Steven Jackson and this is pretty much the only way players can get leverage when asking for a new contract.
    Yep, Marc Bulger, with a year remainng on his existing contract pretty much did the same thing a few years ago when he threatened to sit out the entire season if he didn't get a new deal. He held out for a day, sending a strong message, prompting the Rams to quickly work out a $65 million package. Maybe Jackson was expecting things to work out quicky for him too. For whatever reason, it hasn't.

Without knowing the details, it's hard to judge what's really going on, so I really can't condemn Jackson just yet.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -08-01-2008 at 09:45 PM.

supachump is offline Registered User

decided to delete my original message.

Needless to say, I agree with the original post!

Chiledog is offline Registered User

I am befuddled as to why players can get away with holding out and making new demands when they are already under contract. Does this happen in the normal business or banking world? I think not.

Why is it that if a team does not live up to it's part of a contract (does that ever happen?) the players' union would be all over it. Meanwhile, they remain on the sidelines when a player is not willing to fulfill a legal contract which he has signed.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast