Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Steven Jackson has officially voided the final year of his contract

Rambos is online now Registered User

Steven Jackson has officially voided the final year of his contract

Steven Jackson has officially voided the final year of his contract, making him an unrestricted free agent.
    Jackson made his mind up about this weeks ago, but now the paperwork is in. He's giving up $7 million in 2013 so that he can test the market and land a long-term deal. A reunion with the Rams is possible, but true contenders such as the Packers and Falcons could also show interest. After averaging 4.23 yards per carry behind a woeful offensive line over the last two seasons, S-Jax is clearly the No. 1 running back available in free agency.
    Source: Howard Balzer on Twitter
    Mar 7 - 10:52 AM

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson has officially voided the final year of his contract

I of course would love to see this very classy guy stay with the Rams. But, after having witnessed Isaac Bruce in a ***** uniform, i am prepared for all possibilities BUT please not the ******
    BIG-BLUE likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Jax ..........

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I could deal with him in a Falcon uniform. He usually thrashes the Saints, they hate the Falcons down here. Could give me some good jabs at the mailman. I'm not petty, am I?

sjacksonrules is online now Registered User

Jax must stay here. I can't do a name change.
    Varg6 likes this.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I can't imagine it was a money issue (at least not at the forefront) for Jackson. I think the Rams organization already made up their minds to look towards the future. Its a shame, but when Pujols left I abandoned any illusions about the business of professional sports. It would have been nice to see Jackson retire here. I hope he signs on with a playoff contender and has a blockbuster year (just not against the Rams).
    Varg6 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I don't know what everyone is getting so worried about here. This was expected the by FO and everyone else in the organization. This is just another step in the process. Will he be back? I don't know. What I do know is that he is a 30 year old RB who has an inability to stay healthy, and will probably demand over 4 million dollars. By having SJ void this deal and cutting Wayne Hunter, we've cleared 11 million in the cap.

I'm not against bringing SJ back, but its a business. I could name about 25 guys in FA I'd rather have over SJ, so we'll see how it plays out.

What I do know is that I'd rather have a duo of Kenny Phillips and one of the RT's or OG's in FA (Vollmer, Andre Smith, Loadholt, Winston, Louis Vasquez, Levitre) over a declining SJ.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    What I do know is that he is a 30 year old RB who has an inability to stay healthy
    He's missed two games total in the last four years. If that's an "inability to stay heathy" in your mind, you have pretty harsh standards.

What I do know is that I'd rather have a duo of Kenny Phillips and one of the RT's or OG's in FA (Vollmer, Andre Smith, Loadholt, Winston, Louis Vasquez, Levitre) over a declining SJ.
    I don't understand this statement. You said you think SJax will require more than $4M. I don't necessarily agreem but let's say its $5M. You think we could sign Phillips and one of the OL you listed for $5M?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Kenny Phillips somewhat of a injury prone player for lack of a better word.

Phillips was limited to just seven games in 2012 because of a sprained MCL. 2012 marked the second time in Phillips' five-year professional career that he's missed the majority of the season. In 2009, his sophomore season, Phillips appeared in just two games before being placed on injured reserve with a knee injury.
    Saying SJ is not be able to stay healthy and then take a player that has missed a good chunk of time makes no sense to me. I can understand if you think SJ is too old and it's time to move on however. But not for health reasons.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He's missed two games total in the last four years. If that's an "inability to stay heathy" in your mind, you have pretty harsh standards.

I don't understand this statement. You said you think SJax will require more than $4M. I don't necessarily agreem but let's say its $5M. You think we could sign Phillips and one of the OL you listed for $5M?
    He said that with S-Jax and Hunter gone, that leaves the Rams with 11 mil more in cap room... that should be plenty to sign an OL in FA, maybe even Phillips

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm sad to see Steven Jackson go. He is one of my favorite Rams and I genuinely appreciate everything he has done for this organization. I wish we could have been the team to get him a Lombardi trophy, but he certainly deserves one, so I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    He said that with S-Jax and Hunter gone, that leaves the Rams with 11 mil more in cap room... that should be plenty to sign an OL in FA, maybe even Phillips
    If that is what he meant, then signing an OL is the constant that exists in both equations, meaning its really a choice between SJax or Kenny Phillips.

I'll take SJax every day and thrice on Sunday (or Monday or Thursday night, as the case may be).

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I'm sad to see Steven Jackson go. He is one of my favorite Rams and I genuinely appreciate everything he has done for this organization. I wish we could have been the team to get him a Lombardi trophy, but he certainly deserves one, so I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands.
    It's not over yet IMO... he needs to see what the market value is for his services. Don't give up hope if you want him back it's far from a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Kenny Phillips somewhat of a injury prone player for lack of a better word.

Saying SJ is not be able to stay healthy and then take a player that has missed a good chunk of time makes no sense to me. I can understand if you think SJ is too old and it's time to move on however. But not for health reasons.
    He was just an example of a S that I'd like to go after in FA. As well as the other 5 or 6 guys that'll be in the pool.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If that is what he meant, then signing an OL is the constant that exists in both equations, meaning its really a choice between SJax or Kenny Phillips.

I'll take SJax every day and thrice on Sunday (or Monday or Thursday night, as the case may be).
    SJ just isn't as productive as people want to believe. The only reasons I'd like to keep him around is:

1) He is a valuable pass protector
    2) He is an asset on 3rd downs (catching and blocking)
    3) He is a vocal leader
    4) He deserves it

I can find about 30 other RB's in this league if not more that can produce exactly the 1,000 yards he had last year. I want to see him back because he deserves it, and he is one of my favourite Rams ever, but at the same time we need to weight the options. If losing SJ means signing someone like Phil Loadholt, Greg Jennings, Dustin Keller, any of the RT's, Levitre or Vasquez, or Dashon Goldson, I'll pass.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast