Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 2 Post By UK Ramfan 83

Thread: Steven Jackson... hints at retirement??

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Steven Jackson... hints at retirement??

Steven Jackson hints at retirement
    Updated: December 27, 2012, 6:09 PM ET
    Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Running back Steven Jackson will have the option to explore free agency after the season, raising the question of whether Sunday's finale at Seattle will be his final game in a St. Louis Rams uniform.

Jackson intimated Thursday that he might retire at the end of this season. Though he laughed as he said it, the 29-year-old running back didn't retreat from the idea when asked how serious he was about the possibility

"If I have to write my story," Jackson said Thursday, "I'd rather go out like Barry Sanders and leaving people to want more than to leave too late."

So, how many more seasons does that mean are left for Jackson?

"Maybe this last one," he said laughing. "Those hits hurt."

Jackson negotiated earlier this year for the chance to opt out of his current contract at the end of this season with one year left on the deal. The nine-year veteran has expressed interest in ending his career with the only team he's played for in the NFL, but hasn't publicly committed to returning.

Coach Jeff Fisher said the team wants him back, but if Jackson asks for too many years or too much money he might price himself out of a Rams uniform. The only thing for certain following the season finale at Seattle on Sunday is that the team's active leader in rushing yards has the biggest decision of his career to make. Fisher said the team's made its decision.

"I think everybody in the building would like to have him back," Fisher said. "It's just a matter of us sitting down and working things out."

Jackson posted in his locker a list of the NFL's top 10 all-time rushing leaders and the three backs with at least 10,000 yards rushing and 5,000 yards receiving. He stands at 10,083 yards and needs 2,196 yards to equal Marshall Faulk, who Jackson replaced with the Rams, to get into the top 10.

Jackson also has 3,279 career receiving yards, though his 31 receptions and 276 yards this year are his lowest for a season not interrupted by a lengthy injury since he had 14 and 189 as a rookie in 2004.

He insists that he has neither thought about his future in terms of whether to return to St. Louis or climbing the all-time charts. He said his only considers this week possibly being his last with the Rams when asked.

"The only emotion I'm thinking about is going undefeated (in divisional play) and secondly my first possible winning season," said Jackson, who needs 10 rushing yards for his eighth consecutive 1,000-yard season. "Those are the only two things I'm thinking about and those are team things, so that's what's most important."

St. Louis hasn't had a winning season since 2003, the year before Jackson arrived. It has twice finished with 8-8 records, most recently in 2006, before going 15-65 the past five years.

Playing with one of the youngest rosters in the league this season, the Rams are 7-7-1 and 4-0-1 in NFC West play. They also have two first-round draft choices next year, along with several extra picks garnered through trades and there is general optimism at the headquarters for the first time in years.

"I've come to understand in this league that it's truly year to year," he said. "What coach Fisher has brought to this organization, the credibility, that going on in the future I definitely see a very bright future for this organization. Why wouldn't I want to be a part of that?"

How he answers his own question won't come until after Sunday and when, in Jackson's mind, the timing is right during the offseason to consider his future.

"I'll allow myself that time to sit back and reflect and think about things I've accomplished in my career and what I've done this season," he said. "And think about how much longer I want to play this game, as well. There's going to be a small window of opportunity and I want to make sure I take full advantage of it."

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Steven Jackson... hints at retirement??

I seriously doubt he'll retire, but I am starting to think that he might be willing to sign a 1-2 year deal (for reasonable money) to finish his career as a Ram.

It could be a real win/win if he does. The Rams could use his stability, his production, his leadership, and his status as a role model as they (hopefully) move from the ranks of the "improved" to contender status. Jackson, by finishing his career in St. Louis, can finally enjoy the fruits of his years of dedication to the franchise, and solidify his status as an icon in the city.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I seriously doubt he'll retire, but I am starting to think that he might be willing to sign a 1-2 year deal (for reasonable money) to finish his career as a Ram.

It could be a real win/win if he does. The Rams could use his stability, his production, his leadership, and his status as a role model as they (hopefully) move from the ranks of the "improved" to contender status. Jackson, by finishing his career in St. Louis, can finally enjoy the fruits of his years of dedication to the franchise, and solidify his status as an icon in the city.
    Totally agree. His contribution extends off the field into the locker room and beyond there as well. I think we'll ink him to a 1-2 year deal without insulting his pride in terms of money.

Go Rams!

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I just hope that if we do resign Stephen they do the right thing and give Richardson more carries. They haven't given him nearly enough carries the last 5 or 6 games.

HOnestly I've been a huge Jackson fan but I think it's time for the Rams to let him go.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I hope this is the case. I would like to see an incentive laden contract, that pays him bonuses for post season and multiple post season games. That way he can "get paid" for a big season, and still stay with the RAMS under a "normal" salary.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I just hope that if we do resign Stephen they do the right thing and give Richardson more carries. They haven't given him nearly enough carries the last 5 or 6 games.

HOnestly I've been a huge Jackson fan but I think it's time for the Rams to let him go.
    I kind of agree with this, but I think the extra attention to SJax was help him reach those record yards. Of course, with better game plans, SJax could have still received his touches with DRich also getting his. Too many times the RAMS abandoned the run when it was working. Had they not done that DRich could have had more touches.

gap

bradwill is offline Registered User

I thought the ESPN's headline was a bit misleading, especially when it ends with this quote from SJ:
    "And think about how much longer I want to play this game, as well. There's going to be a small window of opportunity and I want to make sure I take full advantage of it."

That's not the words of someone ready to retire in a couple of weeks. Usual crap from ESPN.

I'd love to see him back in a Rams' uniform next season and I hope they can come to terms on a 1-2 year deal that doesn't cramp the cap space. I'd much rather see him back than Amendola who could be moving on. I like DA and obviously Bradford does too, but he's not Wes Welker Jr. and not worth tagging at 9mil/year either.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Am I correct in thinking he wants a future in entertainment/broadcasting? That could also factor in.
    As for willing to retire I think as AV pointed out that might give the Rams a better chance of resigning. The Rams or retirement, but it can just be an agents ploy for negotiating position.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

SJ isnt gonna retire.... He was jokingly hinting at it, laughing in between. This was taking out of context like most media stories.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post

The lack of carriers in the 2nd half of the season for Richardson was by design. They were (saving/ keeping healthy) Steven Jackson for the 2nd half of the season. Hoping there were be a run at the playoffs. It almost worked too. I really think Steven Jackson will be back. He has to see the potential this young team has at making a run to the promised land. After all the hard years he has put in for our RAMS and hasn't tasted the playoffs, I just don't see him leaving now.
    ZiaRam likes this.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Stephen will be back...

A fragile young team will still benefit greatly from his huge character and leadership irrespective of his contribution. Imagine yourself as that rookie on the sideline in that game V's the whiners, when SJ with no blockers, lowered his predator like dreads and ran directly at/over Pat Willis.

Man, I'm 40 now, and that play alone made me want to dust of my cleats and start laying the smack down again for my old team. Something I stopped doing 8 years ago.

I think they'll be reserving #39's locker for 2013.
    RealRam and ZiaRam like this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I like to think of this as that he wouldn't want to play for anybody but the Rams. If he can sign a new deal, then he will keep going. If he can't, then he will hang up the cleats.

Probably not what he meant at all, but I think that is how I will choose to read his comments. LOL