throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Steven jackson hopes to stay a Ram

Steven Jackson will let others do the predicting this season

Ram running back, who fell short of goals in injury-plagued 2007, hopes to lead team past Seattle and to NFC West title

By Kerry Eggers
    The Portland Tribune, Jul 7, 2008, Updated 14.4 hours ago (3 Reader comments)

Steven Jackson, from Oregon State, is entering a pivotal contract year as the St. Louis Rams' key running back.
    NICK LAHAM / GETTY IMAGES

SCAPPOOSE – Pundits predict a huge season in St. Louis for Steven Jackson this fall.
    If it happens, the Rams’ running back out of Oregon State could command a new contract commensurate with that of the best at his position in the NFL.
    But Jackson won’t be playing Muhammad Ali, as he did a year ago, when he told reporters his goal was to gain 2,500 yards from scrimmage. Jackson missed four games due to a groin injury and fell far short of his goal with a St. Louis team that finished an embarrassing 3-13.
    “Last year, I went out and made a huge prediction,” says Jackson, who was in Scappoose on Monday to help coach at ex-OSU teammate and close pal Derek Anderson’s youth camp. “I didn’t figure in injuries and other things that can happen. My main goal next season is to stay healthy for 16 games, and we’ll see what happens.”
    Jackson says he is “100 percent healthy” and ready for the start of St. Louis’ training camp on July 25. He will be in the final year of the five-year contract he signed after an All-America career at Oregon State.
    “A contract year is big for anyone, but especially for the last year of a rookie deal,” says Jackson, who turns 25 on July 22. “I’m looking to have a great year and lengthen my career with St. Louis. Hopefully, I’ll retire as a Ram.”
    After two seasons sharing duty with future Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk in the St. Louis backfield, Jackson had a breakout year in 2006, finishing fifth in the NFL with 1,528 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns. A Pro Bowl selection, he led running backs with 90 receptions – the sixth-best total in NFL history – and led the league with 2,334 yards from scrimmage, fifth-best all-time.
    Injuries and, frankly, a lousy supporting cast limited Jackson to 1,002 yards on the ground and 38 receptions. Nearly the entire Ram offensive line missed games due to injury at some point during the season.
    “Football is a game where you’re going to get bumps and bruises,” Jackson says. “It just so happened the whole team decided to take our injuries at once.
    “Our first year under Coach (Scott) Linehan we were 8-8 and just missed the playoffs. To go 3-13 last year was rough. When you start out 0-8 like we did, it gets the morale of the team down. It’s hard to get out of the hole. We want to get a fast start to this season and hopefully win the NFC West. Seattle has been dominating the division. We plan to go out and contend for that spot this season.”
    Jackson talks as if he intends to be a contender for comeback player of the year honors. If so, he might reap the highest salary of any NFL running back – and he says he hopes it is with St. Louis.
    “The groundwork I’ve put together over four years, I think I deserve it,” he says. “But it all comes down to performance, and then negotiations. I think it will happen. The Rams have been good to me. I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t be there (next year).”
    In a recent interview with yahoo.com’s Michael Silver, Jackson ripped St. Louis season ticket-holders who sold tickets to opposing fans for home games against Green Bay and Pittsburgh last December.
    “Half the people in the stadium were rooting against us,” Jackson told Silver. “It was like playing road games. We ran out of the tunnel and got booed. It was ridiculous. I was livid.”
    Jackson says now he doesn’t want to carry on a feud with his team’s supporters.
    “My (public-relations representative) doesn’t want me to talk about it anymore,” he says, with a grin. “I wasn’t trying to come down on the fans. I just want to get their support.
    “I know they’ll support a winner. They back the Cardinals. They want the same kind of results from us, and that’s what they deserve. But you know, we’re professional athletes; we have feelings, too. We need their support.”
    Anderson and Jackson were members of Oregon State’s 2001 recruiting class. When Anderson asked for Jackson’s presence at his camp, he was glad to help.
    “Derek’s my boy,” Jackson says. “We lived in the dorms together, we always hung together since Day One. He’s one of the reasons why I decided to come to Oregon State. We keep in touch each week during the season.”
    Jackson was in Portland this winter as a presenter at the Oregon Sports Awards, “but I don’t get to come back to Oregon that much,” he says. “I hope to see a lot of people this week – not just guys I played with, but went to school with. I might try to sneak down to Corvallis. I haven’t been back on campus for awhile, and I want to see the improvements to the stadium and the facilities. I hear it’s really something.”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Steven jackson hopes to stay a Ram

With so many NFL teams going to the runningback by commitee, Steven Jackson has a great opportunity to lead the league in touches and total yardage. Unless we have a commitee I'm not aware of.

At any rate we need this guy in the HORNS!

RamsFan16 Guest

I'm pretty sure that most of hope he remains in horns also.

And for the people who don't, how do you suppose we replace him? It'd take 2 - 3 years to groom a new back, until then I highly doubt with our Free Agent ability that we sign some nobody and he turns into a somebody, or that we trade for a starting back.

Jacksons a Pro Bowl running back, and has a great work ethic, a great football mentality and a great relationship with the community that you can't just replace right away, especially when he has all three of those attributes.

SIGN STEVEN JACKSON LONG TERM ASAP!

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    It'd take 2 - 3 years to groom a new back
    Huh? RB is the one position that even a rookie can make a huge impact.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Huh? RB is the one position that even a rookie can make a huge impact.
    You USUALLY don't groom a 'back into one like Jackson that quick, and with our coaching staff it'd take him that long considering Saunders playbook is the size of the Roman Catholic Bible.

PossumBoy9 Guest

You USUALLY don't groom a 'back into one like Jackson that quick
    True, but it really depends on their talent level.

The Rams went into the '08 Draft in prime position to draft Darren McFadden, while knowing that Jackson wasn't signed long-term.

Obviously, that ship has now sailed.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    True, but it really depends on their talent level.

The Rams went into the '08 Draft in prime position to draft Darren McFadden, while knowing that Jackson wasn't signed long-term.

Obviously, that ship has now sailed.
    Yeah, but say we draft McFadden, and then end up striking a long term with Jackson.

Then what?

It would have been a mess.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Yeah, but say we draft McFadden, and then end up striking a long term with Jackson.

Then what?

It would have been a mess.
    Obviously, you'd have traded Jackson....not negotiated a long-term deal with him. At the very least, you keep him on the team, but don't sign him.

RamsFan16 Guest

But what gives us more reason to trade Jackson than McFadden?

Jacksons a proven Pro Bowler, McFadden is an unknown.

PossumBoy9 Guest

But what gives us more reason to trade Jackson than McFadden?

Jacksons a proven Pro Bowler, McFadden is an unknown.
    Mileage. A RB's odometer is important to keep track of, particularly a power back.

I suspect DMC has more good years left in him than Jackson, so I'd rather have given a long-term, big money contract to him.

Jackson hasn't exactly been an iron horse as far as staying healthy goes.

RamsFan16 Guest

BUT Jackson is proven and young. McFadden is young and unproven, and could be a huge bust, if we trade a proven, young Pro Bowler in Jackson with a little mileage and keep an unknown, could be huge could be bust with past legal problems, how is that helping us?

PossumBoy9 Guest

BUT Jackson is proven and young. McFadden is young and unproven, and could be a huge bust, if we trade a proven, young Pro Bowler in Jackson with a little mileage and keep an unknown, could be huge could be bust with past legal problems, how is that helping us?
    While I agree that Jackson is still young, McFadden is younger.

When it comes to RBs, which have the shortest shelf-life of all the positions, the word "proven" isn't necessarily a good thing.

I was thrilled when Seattle gave big money to the "proven" Shaun Alexander. I loved it when Arizona pursued the "proven" Edgerrin James.

At this point, the Rams need to work out something with SJ....but I hope the deal is fairly frontloaded, so it won't hurt us when/if his tank runs out.

RamsFan16 Guest

Alexander is 30, Edgerinn is 29.

Jackson is 24.

Quite a difference.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Alexander is 30, Edgerinn is 29.

Jackson is 24.

Quite a difference.
    How old were those two when they signed their contracts, the relevant age of discussion here?

Jackson will be 25 in two weeks.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Maurice Clarett was young and unproven.... So, the Rams should have picked him up when they had the chance and told old proven pro bowl MVP Marshall Faulk to take a hike?

I'll absolutely agree with you, that the rb position is one in which a rookie can still make an impact, but the rest of the arguments you attempt to make are tenuous and require too many implied assumptions to be convincing.

Like you say possum boy, Jackson is still young and a proven back. More than that, he's a pro bowl caliber back. He's got fuel in the tank, no chronic ailments to set him back, and still rushed a 1,000 yards behind 4th string offensive lineman, terrible play calling, and a head coach with the motivation skills of a small soapdish. I say pay him and let him run as a horned demon for at least a few more years before going all "jay zygmunt" on him and giving him the middle finger and a kick in the rear on his way out-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast