RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson Joins with Mayor Slay to Kickoff Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure

Steven Jackson Joins with Mayor Slay to Kickoff Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure
    Thursday, March 30, 2006

--The Rams and National City are also teaming up as gold sponsors of the June 10 event--

On Tuesday, March 28 Rams running back Steven Jackson and his mother Brenda Jackson joined with Mayor Francis Slay to kickoff the Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure, which will be held Saturday, June 10, 2006 in downtown St. Louis.

Jackson, who along with his mother and sisters is an honorary chair of the 2006 event, hopes to bring additional awareness to breast cancer and specifically the importance of early detection.

"When I was approached by Komen to serve as the honorary chairperson for this year's Race for the Cure, I came up with the idea to have my mom, Brenda, and my sisters, Rhonda and Yolanda, join me in order to help illustrate that breast cancer can strike anyone regardless of age.

"Together, our goal is to spread the message of early detection and the positive correlation between early detection and successful treatment," said Jackson. "The stats show that when breast cancer is found early, the five-year survival rate is 96 percent. Early detection is so critical, yet an alarming number of people - especially within the African-American community - are getting a late start on the necessary treatment because of late detection. With that in mind, if my family succeeds in getting the early detection message to people - young and old; black, white or purple - and ultimately helping to save lives, then we have all won."

The Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure, which has received extensive support from the Rams over the years, has quickly become the second largest of the 110 Komen Race for the Cure nationwide events, behind only Denver. At yesterday's press conference, Mayor Slay challenged St. Louis to come together and eclipse Denver as the largest event in the nation. In doing so, organizers are hoping for more than 60,000 participants and proceeds exceeding $2 million.

The Rams and team sponsor National City have joined as gold sponsors for this year's Race. The two also collaborated with Sportservice during the 2005 season to sell pink "Caps for a Cure" hats in order to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer. To purchase a hat, please click here.

To learn more about the Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure, visit www.komenstlouis.org.

RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson Joins with Mayor Slay to Kickoff Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure

Steven Jackson is a great person that has done a lot to the St. Louis Community......Good Job Steven

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson Joins with Mayor Slay to Kickoff Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure

Always good to see this side of a star. :up: