Steven Jackson to Lead 2006 Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Rams Running Back Steven Jackson and his mother Brenda Jackson, and his sisters Rhonda Jackson-Pullens and Yolanda Jackson will serve as Honorary Chairs for the 2006 Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure to be held Saturday, June 10, 2006 in downtown St. Louis.

Jackson, the Rams third-year running back and 2004 first round NFL Draft choice, wanted to join the initiative to help bring additional awareness to breast cancer and specifically the importance of early detection.

“By joining with my mother and two sisters, my goal is to illustrate that breast cancer can strike anyone regardless of age,” said Jackson. “And at any age, early detection is important to successfully treating this disease and yet it remains a challenge especially among the African-American community. If my family succeeds in getting the early detection message to people ─ young and old; black, white or purple ─ then we have all won.”

In addition to serving as the 2006 Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure © Honorary Chair, Jackson recently started the Steven Jackson Foundation, which is dedicated to promoting strong education values among today’s youth.

More than 60,000 people participated in last year’s Race, which raised more than $2 million in net proceeds. Up to seventy-five percent of the net money raised by the Komen St. Louis Affiliate stays in the St. Louis community to fund education, screening, treatment and support programs. A minimum of twenty-five percent of the funds support the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Award and Research Grant Program. This year, organizers expect more than 60,000 participants and hope to raise more than $2 million in net proceeds.

“Nearly everyone, nearly every day is affected by breast cancer and I have been,” said Dede Hoffman, Race Co-chair. “I am a 5 year survivor. Watching the streets of St. Louis fill with other survivors and the people that support them is heart-warming. As we pull together as a community we bring awareness to breast cancer and dollars to find a cure.”

Visit www.komenstlouis.org to learn more about the Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure.

He better lead his Web Designer to finish his personal site