RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson likes what he's seeing in Rams' offseason moves

Steven Jackson likes what he's seeing in Rams' offseason moves
    Running back says team has gone out and got him help
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- Steven Jackson feels the St. Louis Rams finally have the pieces in place to be a power running team.

The Rams added fullback Mike Karney, center Jason Brown and blocking tight end Billy Bajema in free agency, and then took Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

"They've also made decisions in the draft and free agency to help me out," Jackson said during the team's involuntary minicamp Friday. "That's the biggest thing. You just don't want to throw it all on one guy, and don't give him anything to work with. I think in free agency and the draft, the things that needed to be addressed were addressed.'"

Though it might look that way, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said he's not trying to build the offense around Jackson.

"I would never build it around one person," Spagnuolo said. "He's certainly a big part of it, but it is a team thing. I'm a firm believer that in order to win in this league, you have to have good linemen, and that's offensively and defensively. It just so happens we got two offensive guys."

Jackson is hoping a new fullback and a revamped offensive line will help him prove that he's the best running back in the NFL.

"Being the best running back is really just a matter of opinion," Jackson said. "I still think I am the best. Fullback, tackle, center -- these are the guys who are going to help me prove what I've been saying for years.

"I have to continue to work to hard, and at the end of my career, at the end of the day, we'll see where I'm at. Right now, I believe Steven Jackson is the best."

The Rams ranked 25th in the NFL in rushing last season, but Jackson was able to gain 1,042 despite missing four games because of an injury.

Jackson has rushed for 1,000 yards in three consecutive seasons, and this year he'll be trying to join Eric Dickerson as the only Rams running backs to accomplish the feat in four straight seasons.

As far as the areas where he's looking to improve, Jackson said he's focusing on the "little things."

"In this league, the little things separate the guys who go to the Pro Bowl, the guys who end up in Canton (home of Pro Football Hall of Fame)," Jackson said. "You have to continue to work on your route running, continue to anticipate your run reads, you have to make sure you're not giving the defenses a key on something because Sunday there is no time to think, it's just reaction."

Jackson said he has tried to build a camaraderie with 5-foot-11, 255-pound Karney.

"We've been to dinner a couple of times, lunch a couple of times," Jackson said. "I'm making sure I'm really getting a chance to allow him to know me, so we're on the same page."

Karney paid for the first meal with Jackson, but they've traded off picking up the check since then.

"We go back and forth," Jackson said. "We're gentlemen about it. The first one he did take care of me, but since then we've been going back forth.

"I think we are going to use him in the right way to really help out our play-action, in the running game, going downhill and coming right at you, and that's going to open up our wide receivers. Everything we want to do, he's going to be a key part of it."

Jackson held out the first 27 days of training camp until he received a six-year, $44 million contract last year.

Jackson said he is glad to be free of the distraction of a contract dispute this year.

"Just being around as much as I have been this whole offseason has really helped me out," Jackson said.

Jackson has missed eight games over the last two years because of groin and quadriceps injuries.

Jackson said he has added some body fat in an effort to reduce his risk of those kinds of muscle injuries.

"My body fat is so low that I'm susceptible to tears and cramps," Jackson said. "I'm just trying to beef up."

A television reporter made the mistake of asking Jackson how he was going to increase his body fat.

"Hang out with you," Jackson quipped.

Rams notes

Jason Smith was wearing No. 77 for the Rams during the first day of the minicamp. He worked at right tackle with the second unit, while veteran Adam Goldberg worked with the starters.

Wide receiver Derek Stanley didn't take part in practice, though at one point he ran out onto the field like he was going to practice.

"He's itching to go," Spagnuolo said of Stanley, who is returning from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his knee. "He was all over me this morning, but we want to be careful." Spagnuolo said Stanley might not be ready to fully participate in practice until training camp.

One of the Rams' undrafted free agents, wide receiver Quentin Chaney out of the University of Oklahoma, failed his physical.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson likes what he's seeing in Rams' offseason moves

Now that it seems the stones are in place, Jackson better Prove it..

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It's going to be exciting to watch Jackson play this year. He's shown us that he is a really good running back.

If he can stay healthy, expect a very productive season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

maineram is offline Registered User

If he can stay healthy !

Maine -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Ramer is offline Registered User

I see Jackson putting up big numbers this year!

dvbear55 is offline Registered User

With the upgrades we've made, get ready to see some video-game-type-numbers from S-JAX. As long as he stays injury free.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

He went for a thousand+ yards last year while missing four games and not having the best of blocking. If he and the line stays healthy I think he'll do real good!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood