thatguy is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson needs to be used in the Pass game more

This is one of the best ways to use Jackson but he isn't seeing the ball that much. He needs to be moving so throwing a few screens to him should be a big priority in the offense. On a lot of his short runs or runs for a loss he stopped because there is nowhere to go and he is tackled. If he gets moving before he even has the ball he can do real damage. I think it is the best way to use his skill set.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson needs to be used in the Pass game more

I agree. I even started a thread awhile back when Clayton went down saying that Jackson is now our best receiving threat.

He was thrown to twice against the Bucs and he caught both of them for 35 of our 126 receiving yards. That's 17.5 yards per catch. Heck even
    Darby was targeted once and caught it for a gain of 19 yards.

I try to defend Shurmur against what I think are outrageous posts but I do wonder why there isn't more of this in the play calling.

Give Darby some more carriers to free up Jackson as a receiver. They only ran Darby 4 times and he still averaged 4.8 a carry against the Bucs.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I also agree. Jackson throughout his career has been a one man wrecking crew catching passes out of the backfield. It's always been a great strategy to counter opposing defenses stacking the box against him. I've mentioned in a few threads that there was not one single pass thrown to Jackson or any other back in the second half offensive struggle against the Bucs. Not one. I just don't get it.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I also agree. Jackson throughout his career has been a one man wrecking crew catching passes out of the backfield. It's always been a great strategy to counter opposing defenses stacking the box against him. I've mentioned in a few threads that there was not one single pass thrown to Jackson or any other back in the second half offensive struggle against the Bucs. Not one. I just don't get it.
    Seems like Shurmur is scared to make a mistake or something.

d4w34p0n13 is offline Registered User

Hey guys I am new here but certainly not new to the rams ive loved them my whole entire life my dad got me into them cause he lived right next to jim youngblood in irvine california thats how he became a rams fan and i had to follow lol. Anyway I love how someone started this because people don't realize what makes jackson so dangerous is his combo of speed, quickness, and strength he is monstrous and they need to realize that when bradford is getting hurried and jackson is blocking he should go out for the passes i mean guys there longest play this year has been that jackson screen for like 50 something yards why not use that against teams like the bucs in my opinion jackson is one of the most underrated running backs i have ever seen he plays injured just about every week and the dude is just a flatout monster. I say using jackson more in the passing game is the way to go but you gotta like the way Bradford is playing after losing 2 top wideouts in Donnie Avery and the big one Mark Clayton. I don't wanna sound like I am happy this happend but you can almost see Bradford was relying alot on Clayton and he was doing what all rookie QB's do pick 1 receiver and stick with him no matter what after clayton got injured sam spreaded the ball around the field to 9 pr 10 different receivers just excelent. I say use jackson more in the passing game and we start to see sam going into the high 300+ passing yards

TekeRam is offline Registered User

All I can say is this... in 2006, Jax had 90 receptions, on pretty much all short stuff, had something like 2400 yards from scrimmage, and we went 8-8.
    I believe!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I was vexed as well as to why we are not using him more in the passing game (especially on sunday).

d4w34p0n13 is offline Registered User

Yes and he needed to be used in the passing game on sunday cause bradford like all the sudden could not handle the pressure it would have took a lot of the weight off of him if he was able to throw to jackson and we might not have lost that heartbreaking game !