RamWraith is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson: No safety net

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/30/2006

Steven Jackson talks to the media after checking into his training camp hotel room before the first full-squad meeting at the start of Rams trainig camp.
    (By Chris Lee/P-D)

So the search continues for a backup to Jackson. According to league sources, the Rams have made a trade offer to New Orleans for Michael Bennett. In fact, it's believed to be the best offer the Saints have received. The Rams also have talked with Tennessee about Chris Brown.

But neither the Saints nor the Titans are ready to trade - at least not yet. In New Orleans, No. 2 overall pick Reggie Bush remains unsigned and Deuce McAlister is coming back from knee surgery. Bush eventually will sign. McAlister is expected to be fine. So it may be a couple of weeks before the Saints are ready to part with Bennett, who has been injury-plagued and not very productive since rushing for 1,296 yards and making the Pro Bowl in 2002.

Nonetheless, he's the Rams' preferred option, having played for Linehan in Minnesota in 2002, '03, and '04.

Meanwhile, Brown's agent has asked for a trade in Tennessee, where the Titans also have former 1,400-yard rusher Travis Henry and second-round draft pick LenDale White of Southern Cal on the depth chart.

Brown rushed for 851 yards a year ago. Henry was suspended four games a year ago for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, and Titans coaches haven't been enamored with White's work ethic so far. So the Titans may be less inclined to trade than New Orleans.

The Rams brought in another former Viking, free-agent Moe Williams, for a visit in the offseason. But Williams is coming off knee surgery and didn't pass his physical in that visit to St. Louis.

"The issue with this position is everybody needs the same thing we need," Linehan said. "So, people aren't in a hurry or anxious to give us their No. 2 running back. You know, they'd make their team weaker."

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson: No safety net

Brown or Bennett...I don't care, let's please just get one of them, sheesh!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Brown... it as to be!
    is proven around the NFL, If SJ goes down this season, could you really see Fisher handling the RB duties? Brown nearly 900 yards from 12 games last season...

bigredman is offline Registered User

This is a terrible time of year to be shopping around for a back up running back. I hope the Rams don't jump on someone in a panic move.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If we do go for Brown, I just hope we don't give up too much. Remember this is the last season of his contract, and it seems likely he could try to find a starting gig after the season ends. I don't like the idea of giving up picks (investment in the future) for a single season backup.

If we do go for Brown, I just hope we don't give up too much

Well if push comes to shove, would you rather pay slightly OTT, and have a named back, in case SJ goes down OR not pay, and have say Fisher, at the helm if SJ does go down?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

We probably won't get Brown, as I've said before he wants to be a #1 back which he won't be here. Also the Titans said they weren't very interested in trading him, and Brown himself just said "I want to be in Tennessee" and has backed off on his trade demands.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Yes, i think it's a slim chance of netting Brown, however if i could wave my magic wand, he would be the pick of the names in the hat for us..

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JackieSlater
    If we do go for Brown, I just hope we don't give up too much

Well if push comes to shove, would you rather pay slightly OTT, and have a named back, in case SJ goes down OR not pay, and have say Fisher, at the helm if SJ does go down?
    Thing is, those aren't the only two options, so let's look at the WHOLE picture.

Would you rather...

1) Slightly overpay in compensation for Bennett, who is under contract through the 2007 season and signed that deal knowing he'd be the back-up RB

2) Moderately overpay in compensation for Brown, who is in a contract year and wants to be the starter in Tennessee or somewhere else

3) Pay no compensation and either sign Moe Williams to work into the rotation or go into the season with Tony Fisher and Paul Smith

I'd really be shocked if Bennett ended up costing more in compensation than Brown, and also consider that we'd essentially be trading for Brown for one season, since he'd likely want to be a free agent next year and find a team willing to start him. I don't like that situation at all, nor does it make much sense from a value standpoint since we'd be trading a moderate to high draft pick for one year of back-up service. I don't like the idea of overpaying for Bennett either, but at least we'd have him for two years and he doesn't have delusions about starting somewhere.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I also feel Bennett is the guy for us. Now is the time to snag a quality backup before the preseason games start. Seems like every year there are more than a handful of injuries ( Trent Green ) that change teams needs and wants. I'm not a pessimist but nows the time.

:ramlogo:

Good points Nick,

Smacks of which is the lesser of 3 evils?, which ever option is chosen, it'll be a case of 'what if' scenerio's. are we prepared and hope that SJ gets through this season unhurt, which of course with hindsight would be a great thing, and no need to spend any $$$ on getting a back in.. OR do we shell out the $$$ as security IN case SJ gets injured, basically we would be screwed if SJ goes down in Week 1, and having to rely on say Fisher. However if the $$$ have been spent, at least we would have Brown/Williams/Bennett to pick up the slack leftover,

IMHO it simply comes down to trying to balance the what if's over the what wont happen..

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Saints | Bennett open to a trade; knows one may happen
    Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:04:52 -0700

The Associated Press reports New Orleans Saints RB Michael Bennett understands the signing of RB Reggie Bush means he will probably be traded. "Michael has done everything we asked and he's in a bit of a tough position because he signed here not knowing that we were going to draft Reggie Bush. We didn't know that either," general manager Mickey Loomis said. "It could be that he's on our team and it could be another opportunity comes along." Bennett said he would prefer a trade to seeing little action this season and added that he believes the Saints are sympathetic to his situation. "They've communicated to me they're going to take my best interests at heart," Bennett said. "I don't want to have to sit here and maybe get one or two reps of practice. I'm a guy who needs to be in there getting reps whether it be on special teams or something. I can't really sit back and watch because it really starts to make me itch a little bit."

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

you have to take into consideration the fact that Bennett has a head start with the Rams system having played under Linehan at Minnesota. Plus he brings something different to the table. Jackson is more of a north south kind of guy while Bennet is pure speed.