Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Steven Jackson ready after offseason adventures

Steven Jackson ready after offseason adventures
    BY BILL COATS | Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:20 am

When you're face to face with an 18-foot great white shark, suddenly the prospect of NFL defenders slamming into you at full speed doesn't seem quite so daunting.

Not to play down the hard knocks that running back Steven Jackson takes while toting the ball for the Rams. But he saw a different kind of violence during a shark-cage dive last month off the coast of Capetown, South Africa.

"It was pretty amazing, to see great whites up close and personal," Jackson said. "I actually witnessed one hunting and devouring a seal. That was pretty nerve-wracking. ... It makes you forget about the cold, icy water, I'll tell you that."

Jackson said only one thought went through his mind when the 18-footer appeared. "I was hoping that he didn't ram the cage," he said. "But I think the scariest thing is not seeing the shark; it's when he disappears into the murky water.

"It didn't help that I was watching 'Shark Week' the whole week going into it."

Jackson's trip also included a safari in Botswana, side trips to Namibia and Zambia, plus three World Cup soccer games. He brought home three vuvuzelas, the plastic horns that fans tooted throughout the contests, creating a ubiquitous buzz.

Jackson said he never mastered them. "Those things are hard to blow," he said.

Vacation time is over now, though. Jackson and his 79 teammates were put through their paces for 1 hour, 45 minutes Saturday afternoon in the first full-squad practice of training camp.

Jackson, who had surgery in April to repair a herniated disc in his back, was nearly a full participant. On the first snap of 11-on-11 "team" drills, he took a handoff from quarterback A.J. Feeley and burst around left end for a nice gain.

"We don't want to jump out there too quick and have him set back," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "But I was encouraged."

Jackson was injured Nov. 22 against Arizona. He was held out of practice for the rest of the season, but he still managed to play in five of the last six games for the 1-15 Rams.

"The last five, six weeks of the season was pretty painful," Jackson acknowledged. "But being able to fight through that pain and still be somewhat productive, I think I proved a lot to myself."

Jackson finished with 1,416 rushing yards, the second-highest total of his six NFL seasons. He also caught 51 passes for 322 yards and was named to his second Pro Bowl.

Because he missed all the spring drills while rehabbing, Jackson hadn't stepped onto a football field since the season finale vs. San Francisco on Jan. 3. He weathered Saturday's practice without problems.

"I felt good," Jackson said. "I've been working really, really hard with my trainer all offseason to make sure that when today came, I'd be ready to practice and be able to pretty much participate in everything."

His back, he reported, "feels good. We're going on three months now (since the surgery), and still have another month to go (until the regular season). If I had to have the surgery, I think we did it at the right time.

"Everything is up, everything is going good."

fans show up

A crowd of 1,258 was in attendance Saturday. Several fans sported University of Oklahoma gear in homage to newly signed rookie quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall selection in the draft. Bradford and several other players signed autographs afterward.

"That's exciting to see everybody out here; I hope they keep coming," Spagnuolo said. "The guys love it when they're out there. I hope we can do things good for them."

RAM-BLINGS

Defensive tackle Darell Scott (hamstring) and safety Darian Stewart (shoulder) sat out Saturday. Tackle Jason Smith (toe) and guard Roger Allen (knee) did individual work only. Jackson and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (shoulder) were slightly limited. ... Two practices are scheduled for Sunday, starting at 8:15 a.m. and 6:15 p.m. The players will be pads for the first time in the morning session. All training camp practices are free and open to the public.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson ready after offseason adventures

Can I be the first to say that I dont want Jackson anywhere near a shark.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Can I be the first to say that I dont want Jackson anywhere near a shark.
    Yeah, I'm an animal lover,too. Poor shark; doesn't seem like a fair fight.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by azul e oro View Post
    yeah, i'm an animal lover,too. Poor shark; doesn't seem like a fair fight.
    hahahahahahahah .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I dunno... if you can dodge a shark, you can probably dodge just about anything. I wonder which works better against a Great White - a juke, a spin move, or a stiff arm?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I dunno... if you can dodge a shark, you can probably dodge just about anything. I wonder which works better against a Great White - a juke, a spin move, or a stiff arm?
    Stay behind your lead blocker until he's fully ...um....engaged then reverse field. It also helps if your blocker is someone like Cogs who'd probably taste like a 300 pound DingDong.