throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Goldenfleece

Thread: Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford No-shows in NFC West Top 15

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford No-shows in NFC West Top 15

by Howard Balzer

The lockout has proved to be a time where it hasn't been easy to get into actual discussions about football.
    Since the end of the draft in late April, the ensuing three months have been filled with angst as everyone has wondered when football will return.
    Throughout this time, espn.com has done a good job finding football-related angles to write about. That has been especially true with the division writers and Scouts Inc., which produces evaluations of players.
    Mike Sando, who blogs about the NFC West, often creates interesting analysis in his looks at the division. Doing a lot of the player analysis is Matt Williamson, a former scout in the NFL.
    So it was that Williamson recently ranked his top 15 players in the division. Now, I usually don't pay much attention to lists of this sort. That's not because I don't think there's value in them, but more because they come down to one person's opinion.
    And, those opinions I believe are often done with the intent of trying to be different so it will be noticed. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but spending a lot of time on them can be a colossal waste of time.
    However, the debate can sure be interesting. Which means, here comes a colossal waste of time! But, please, waste it with me!
    So it was that I came upon Williamson's list of his 15 best players in the NFC West, a division, of course, that didn't have a .500 team in 2010. His list appeared in Sando's blog when he was on vacation recently.
    I was curious to see what Williamson thought of Rams players, and where any might be ranked, considering that running back Steven Jackson was the only Rams player in the NFL Network's top 100. He was ranked 38th.
    That list was produced in a vote of NFL players, although numerous players have said they didn't vote and don't know any players that did. That's another good reason to look at these lists with a skeptical eye.
    San Diego Union Tribune columnist Nick Canepa called the NFLN's list "a 100-pound mound of manure. The network, which I admire for its candidness, claims the list is a result of voting by players and coaches, but no one can tell us who they are. My best guess is that they're from the CFL."
    But, I digress.
    There were six NFC West players in that top 100: Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald (14), San Francisco linebacker Patrick Willis (23), Jackson (38), San Francisco tight end Vernon Davis (88), Arizona safety Adrian Wilson (89) and San Francisco running back Frank Gore (94).
    Falling right in line, Williamson's top 15 had Fitzgerald and Willis first and second.
    No quibble there, although a case could be made for Willis being the top player in the division. As great as Fitzgerald is, his production was significantly less in touchdowns scored last season (6/13) following the retirement of quarterback Kurt Warner and the departure of wide receiver Anquan Boldin.
    Fully expecting to see Jackson fall in line behind Willis on Williamson's list, there was some surprise to see ***** defensive lineman Justin Smith in the No. 3 spot. Then, it was Davis at No. 4 and Seattle defensive end Chris Clemons fifth. No Jackson.
    Surely, he would be in the next five. Surely, you would be wrong. But there was a Rams player in those next five: linebacker James Laurinaitis at No. 9. Before him were ***** nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane, and Seattle tackle Russell Okung. At 10 was ***** guard Mike Iupati.
    When I saw "Rams" at No. 11 on the list, I figured, OK, that's low for Jackson, but at least he's in the top 15. Wrong again.
    Rams defensive end Chris Long was at 11, and stunningly, Jackson was nowhere to be found in the top 15. Following Long were Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett, Gore, Arizona defensive end Calais Campbell and Seattle linebacker David Hawthorne.
    Somehow, the 38th player in the NFL Network list and third in the NFC West wasn't good enough to qualify for Williamson's top 15 in the division.
    I am hoping to have Williamson as a guest this weekend on Pro Football Sunday (10-Noon on 101 ESPN), but in an email, he explained his rationale on Jackson.
    Wrote Williamson, "Jackson was actually 16th on my list. I just see him as a declining player who has taken too much of a beating over the years. It happens to every RB and I just think that time has come for Jackson. Adding a quality backup could certainly help his cause though going forward and lessening the stress on his body. But I no longer see big plays from Jackson-which is often the first thing to go when RBs decline. I also don't see the same burst, elusiveness and acceleration."
    Of course, he said some of those same things about Gore in the analysis of his list, but put him at No. 13.
    A ***** fan even took exception to the list, writing in the comments section of Sando's blog, "I'm pretty sure Steven Jackson is better than Chris Clemons! I would even put him ahead of Justin Smith and Vernon Davis. Yes, I'm a Niner fan, but you got to give respect where it is due. That guy is a machine!!!"
    Another fan wrote on Facebook to Sando, saying, "Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, let Matt Williamson post any more in your absence."
    It seems clear that Williamson is projecting potential over known performance. Eight of his top 15 players have played five seasons or less and six have played three or less.
    Still, Mebane missed four games last season. Okung, a rookie in 2010, played just 10 games.
    Yet, Williamson wrote of him, "If (he) had been healthy for 16 games, he might already be considered amongst the best left tackles in the league. That might be a bit premature, but he is quite high on my left tackle list."
    Obviously, he had him higher than the Rams' Rodger Saffold, who started all 16 games. It's difficult to accept Okung and Iupati, a guard, in the top 10, and no Saffold or center Jason Brown.
    Then, there is the missing Sam Bradford. I didn't anticipate him being in the top 15, but once Williamson's pattern of selection was noted, it's hard to keep him out.
    Aside from his production, playing the most difficult position in the game, Bradford took every snap and, most important, established his leadership as a rookie.
    As Rams offensive lineman Adam Goldberg told me, "He's a stud beyond his years."
    But not to Williamson. Guess if he was putting together a team, he'd rather have Russell Okung, or Mike Iupati, or David Hawthorne.
    When I discuss this with Williamson, I plan to ask him a simple question: If you are drafting a team from NFC West players, who would be your first selection? His quick and easy answer should be Sam Bradford.
    Something tells me even Laurinaitis and Long would laugh when told that someone has them ranked higher than Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford No-shows in NFC West Top 15

Maybe Matt Williamson is just not worth our time.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is a prank right? Chris Clemons, David Hawthorne, Brandon Mebane, Calais Campbell, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Aubrayo Franklin, Justin Smith, Mike Iupati and Russell Okung all better players than Steven Jackson? The only debatable ones are Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Larry Fitzgerald, and Frank Gore.

This article is a joke and the gentlemen who wrote this should go pursue a career in curling or something. As great as Laurinaitis and Long are becoming there is no way they are better than Jackson. Thats basically all I have to say.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

This list pissed me off when it first came out a few weeks ago and it still gets me a bit mad when reading it again. If your going off of production. Steven Jackson. If your going by potential for the future. Sam Bradford. to not have either on the entire list is baffling.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

There really isn't a lot to say about this list that hasn't already been said.Production takes second stage to perceived potential except when it doesn't. Durability counts for something except when injury is used as an excuse. And apparently half of the best players in the division are defensive linemen.

The list seems so arbitrary and the method so inconsistent that Williamson might as well have called the list "My Favorite Players in the NFC West".
    Torry Holt likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

You guys are all voicing exactly what I was thinking. I want to get a hold of this Williams' e-mail and send him a message after this season and Steven has ANOTHER 1000+ yard season this year again.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    by Howard Balzer

Wrote Williamson, "Jackson was actually 16th on my list. I just see him as a declining player who has taken too much of a beating over the years. It happens to every RB and I just think that time has come for Jackson.
    I hope Steven Jackson reads this .. Probably not though ..

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

LOL this list is TERRIBLE