eldfan is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson Set To Carry St. Louis Rams Once Again

by Seth Boster Correspondent Written on June 24, 2010

If you visit St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson's Web site, sj39.com, you can watch in wonder as Jackson leg presses 225 pounds 90 times in two minutes.

In between all the snarls and winces of pain as his quads surely scorch, amidst the relentless beads of sweat that drop from his mean dreads to his brow, Jackson appears motivated.

Motivated, probably because he knows every rep that he pounds out in the two-minute crunch is essential. Just like every minute, every carry, every catch, every block that is expected of Jackson from the Rams is essential. Jackson's performance is the team's only chance of improving on a one-win season.

In St. Louis, the team really has no option but the 26-year-old Jackson, who has become the league's premier workhorse.

In Jackson's breakout year of 2006, the Rams handed the ball to him 346 times, and relied on him plenty through the aerial assault. The result: the league leader in yards from scrimmage and the team's leader in receptions.

Since then, Jackson has carried the ball a painful 814 times. Also, in the past three seasons Jackson has missed nine games because of nagging injuries.

Bumps and bruises have followed Jackson throughout his career as he's taken a heavy workload. Without a stable offensive line to protect him, or a passing game to support him, or even a worthy backup to grant him a break, Jackson has been the primary focus for opposing defenses.

Naturally, the Rams' finely-tuned machine has slowly been breaking down.

Or at least that's what it seemed. Jackson has battled through pain and, just this past year, couldn't have shone brighter as the lone star in St. Louis.

In 2009, Jackson played the final five of six games with a herniated disc in his back. He finished the season as the NFC's rushing leader, even after competing against eight- or nine-man boxes.

Jackson carried his team past the Lions after posting 149 yards rushing and a TD in the team's only win of the season. He later became the Rams' all-time leader in rushing attempts.

After a gutsy campaign, Jackson was given his second career Pro Bowl nod.

"He's just a class guy," head coach Steve Spagnuolo told the media after his prized runner received the honor. "I always held him in that regard, that kind of caliber player."

Currently, Jackson is en route to eclipsing another team record in rushing yards, needing 1,954 more. Most likely, that record is not part of Jackson's focus right now, though.

It is summer and the months are heated by the drama that emanates from the NFL offseason.

There are those players like Albert Haynesworth who are disgruntled even with the biggest jackpot of a contract.

There are those like Jackson who could plead their case for a trade. (Imagine him with a solid offensive line!) But players like Jackson don't complain.

Jackson is busy during offseasons.

It is time for healing and preparation. It's been Jackson's time for the past years to rehab any injuries suffered after taking a full load in the previous season. It's time for Jackson to physically prepare to carry a full load once again.

"I love to play, so I will gut it out," Jackson told the St. Louis Globe-Democrat earlier in the 2009 season. "I love football. I love this team."

Time for more leg presses.

:ramlogo:

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson Set To Carry St. Louis Rams Once Again

It would be scary to see him behind a nasty o-line and a great QB. We'll just have to wait and see

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I have put this guy down time and time again, but the more I have watched since last season and what he is speaking, I think this guy is going in a direction that may just be off the charts. And it better be with us. He is our only bright spot as of now!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Can't wait for the season to start!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Do your job O-line, and Jackson is going to have an amazing season.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    It would be scary to see him behind a nasty o-line and a great QB. We'll just have to wait and see
    play it again sam

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    I have put this guy down time and time again, but the more I have watched since last season and what he is speaking, I think this guy is going in a direction that may just be off the charts. And it better be with us. He is our only bright spot as of now!
    For sure, For Sure! Steven Jackson has come into his own as the Main bright spot for the Rams. Jackson along with Marc Bulger, the highest paid Rams the past seasons, got their share of criticism for not living up to the worth of their salaries. As it turns out at this date, Jackson has finally shown, especially with last year's Pro Bowl performance, that he's more than earned his worth for the Rams. Bulger, on the other hand, well... let's just say the The Rams probably waited too long to cut their losses.

The Rams will do best to build a strong supporting cast around Steven Jackson. Hopefully, Sam Bradford will come to the rescue soon and become another threat to take some of the pressure off the Rams runningback.

Looks like JAX is in his prime and is ready to continue to do great things for the Rams......Let's jump on his BAX as he carries us towards the Promise Land!
    Last edited by dgr828; -06-27-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    For sure, For Sure! Steven Jackson has come into his own as the Main bright spot for the Rams. Jackson along with Marc Bulger, the highest paid Rams the past seasons, got their share of criticism for not living up to the worth of their salaries. As it turns out at this date, Jackson has finally shown, especially with last year's Pro Bowl performance, that he's more than earned his worth for the Rams. Bulger, on the other hand, well... let's just say the The Rams probably waited too long to cut their losses.

The Rams will do best to build a strong supporting cast around Steven Jackson. Hopefully, Sam Bradford will come to the rescue soon and become another threat to take some of the pressure off the Rams runningback.

Looks like JAX is in his prime and is ready to continue to do great things for the Rams......Let's jump on his BAX as he carries us towards the Promise Land!
    I worry sometimes about building around Steven Jackson sometimes. The way the league works right now, it's really hard to tell how long a running back is going to last. The 2011 lockout (if it happens, which is likely) would be extremely beneficial because Jackson would be able to just work hard, but not worry about the wear and tear of gameday or injuries. Right now his career length will depend on how long he plays, not his age (yet).

The good thing is that if we do build around Jackson with good wide receivers, an o-line (which is getting there), and a quarterback, his longevity will probably increase because he is still semi-young. What the Rams need to do right now is start to build around him (which we've started doing), get a good defense (which is definitely almost there), and get a decent back-up running back for SJ39. Ogbonnaya probably won't become a good backup, we need somebody else. I was hoping for Toby Gerhert because he is another rare, extremely tough yet fast player like Steve Jackson.

Big_L is offline Registered User

Jackson is a class guy who brings it every time on the field. Rams, y'all really need to adopt the running back by committee aproach. It's way less wear and tear on your primary and can lengthen his career.

Birdbrain is offline Registered User

SJ's an excellent back.But I would have felt a lot better if they had picked up Dwyer.Dude needs a breather now and again.Maybe Toston will work out.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

We pick up A.J Green next year, and we are set.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

My mind is set on this year, next year and the year after that. My main concern is the the Rams keep going to the Jackson well too often, and eventually that well may come up dry.

It just from my possition seem that the Rams are and have been relying so much on Jackson that when they do have a crediable team built, they will be having to shop around for another top caliber RB because Jackson injuries have caught up with him.

A back surgery is no laughing matter. No doubt he got the best doctor and they did the best job they could do, but likely somewhere not that far down the road that back injury may come back to haunt Jackson and that maybe the end of his career.

Everyone can name off a host of RBs that where part of the NFL elite. But name those that had a career 10 years or longer gets harder too do. Simply, the Rams need to make those moves neccessary to prolong and get the most out of Jackson while he is in his prime