g tha problem is offline Registered User

Is Steven Jackson still a top 5 running back?

According to the players, Steven Jackson is the 6th best running back going into 2011. He was listed 38th on the top 100, Jamaal Charles was rated ahead of him at 33 which put him as the 5th best. Marshall Faulk seemed to disagree with his location on the list, he thinks Jackson deserves to be lower on the list. The NFL network commentators thought Jackson is exactly where he needs to be. I agree with Faulk. There is no way that Charles, Arian Foster, Peterson, Jones-Drew, and Chris Johnson all deserve to be lower than him. I think Jackson should be number 4, maybe 3rd behind Peterson and Johnson, Jones-Drew is debatable. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by g tha problem; -06-13-2011 at 04:45 AM.

RAMpage28 is offline Registered User

Re: Is Steven Jackson still a top 5 running back?

I think he is definitely still in the top 5. I personally wouldn't trade him for any other running back in the league. I agree though I think if your going to put any body ahead of him its should be Peterson, Johnson, and MJD. Foster and Charles are still some what unproven.

RAMpage28 is offline Registered User

Also I know that so far Jackson is the rams only rep so far. Do you think there will be anymore rams players on the list?

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think he is in top 5. Definitely behind AP and CJ24. But I think he will prove himself more with a better O-line and weapons, and show that he can still be number 3 or 4. I predict one of his old-school huge seasons in 2011.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMpage28 View Post
    Also I know that so far Jackson is the rams only rep so far. Do you think there will be anymore rams players on the list?
    No he is the only Ram on the list.

But honestly I wouldn't take a RB in the league over Steven Jackson. He is terrific at everything. CJ2K is good but he wouldn't produce anything on our previous teams. AP is good but he only plays 2 downs because he cannot catch, block and has a fumbling issue. SJ has what? Great hands, great speed, can run anywhere on the field, good blocker and is a team leader.

#38 is a total disgrace but there is nothing I can do about it. I guess we will have to wait until next year.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson is the second best RB in the league. I know that nobody like to get into hypothetical but you have to wonder what he could have been if he didnt have to play against 8 man fronts every down, every game, every season. Any way I see the RB's ranked
    1. Adrian Peterson- Seems to have found a cure for the fumbles, cant really argue with his ability and he has become a team leader.
    2. SJAX- Really he is the total package, catching, running blocking and leadership. He is less physically gifted then AP but he has learned to become a more well rounded player because of it.
    3. Chris Johnson- He is fast and elusive, and immature. Demands that the team cut other backs out of the equation so he gets more touches. He might still mature, but I think one really good season is going to his head.
    4. Deangelo Williams- He is fast, strong and agile. Really his injury this year knocked him off of the top 100 ranking.
    5. Micheal Turner- Fast, and strong he is a great running back, just needs to working on his catching and blocking some more.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

To rate RBs you'd have to come up with a criteria to determine and are we going to use age as a factor? For example is a 29 year old RB who may only have 1 more season to be weighted on the same basis as an Arian Foster who may have 6 more? If age isn't a consideration and it's strictly on which RB you would want for 1 game in 2011...

Not going to be agreed with but I think Steven Jackson isn't a great goal line back and he doesn't have the 3rd gear that you want in a RB. He's a very good RB but he isn't top 5. AP, Chris Johnson, MJD, Jamaal Charles and Arian Foster are better. Steven is in-line with Frank Gore, Michael Turner, Mendenhall and Ryan Grant. Peyton Hillis outperformed the guys in that second group. Don't discount a player just because he's only done it one season or because he was injured last season.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -06-13-2011 at 03:56 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't think there is any question that Jackson is a top 5 RB. The things he has been able to do within a very limited offense that hasn't exactly struck fear in opposing defenses, is nothing short of amazing IMO.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Absolutely he's a top 5 back. Who else in the league could do what he has and continues to do with the supporting cast around him? For the bulk of his career he has dealt with either a declining or no passing game and a absolutely substandard offensive line, especially for run blocking, and has never had a good blocking back in front of him. And he's done it alone.

Where would Charles be without Thomas Jones to take the hard carries? Without Bowe or Moaki or whatever their new TE's name is who made some huge circus catches? I hate to admit it, but Cassel is better than post 2006 Bulger could dream to be.

Where would Foster be without the game's current best blocking back in front of him(who made the top100 in the 60's I believe... as a FB!)? Without Schaub and Johnson(and Walter/Jones) to ensure there's never 8 in the box? Jackson is happy when there is less than 9 in the box.

MJD, AP are certainly and I'll even put Chris Johnson ahead of Jackson, but Jackson is easily the 4th best back in the league and if he was in a better situation, no one would question that. Let's see what he does this year when defenses need to start watching for Sam to sling the long ball in our new offense, because even last year they could load the box and just watch the flats for the dump off pass.
    I believe!

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

He is 100% stilla top 5 back. my list goes:

1. AD
    2. CJ2K
    3. Sjaxx
    4. MJD
    5.Michael Turner

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Absolutely he's a top 5 back. Who else in the league could do what he has and continues to do with the supporting cast around him? For the bulk of his career he has dealt with either a declining or no passing game and a absolutely substandard offensive line, especially for run blocking, and has never had a good blocking back in front of him. And he's done it alone.

Where would Charles be without Thomas Jones to take the hard carries? Without Bowe or Moaki or whatever their new TE's name is who made some huge circus catches? I hate to admit it, but Cassel is better than post 2006 Bulger could dream to be.

Where would Foster be without the game's current best blocking back in front of him(who made the top100 in the 60's I believe... as a FB!)? Without Schaub and Johnson(and Walter/Jones) to ensure there's never 8 in the box? Jackson is happy when there is less than 9 in the box.

MJD, AP are certainly and I'll even put Chris Johnson ahead of Jackson, but Jackson is easily the 4th best back in the league and if he was in a better situation, no one would question that. Let's see what he does this year when defenses need to start watching for Sam to sling the long ball in our new offense, because even last year they could load the box and just watch the flats for the dump off pass.
    Disagree with MJD