suhpr3me is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson vs Larry Johnson

Steven Jackson Vs. Larry Johnson
    by Michael Fabiano

Back in the late winter months when the NFL.com Fantasy Football Preview Magazine was being written, Johnson was our choice as the second-best player in fantasy football behind LaDainian Tomlinson. But after the offseason loss of G Will Shields, the trade of Trent Green and talk of a possible holdout in training camp, Johnson has fallen to third on our list behind Jackson. One of the more well-rounded offensive threats, Jackson led all runners in receptions last season with 90 and will continue to be the centerpiece of what should be an even more explosive Rams offense. Even if Johnson comes to a contract agreement before the start of training camp, questions that surround the Chiefs' quarterback position and line now make Jackson a safer selection in the first round.

Winner:Jackson

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson vs Larry Johnson

Have never been into any of the 'Fantasy' aspects of the NFL (no Madden games, etc. [sorry]), but this statement here really caught my attention:

[Steven Jackson] will continue to be the centerpiece of what should be an even more explosive Rams offense.

I'll look foward to seeing that as the best...REALITY show in the NFL this year! :r

GO JAX!
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-11-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Format

TekeRam is offline Registered User

There's also that pesky problem that Johnson carried it 416 times last year and still has no credible backup to give him a rest. If he somehow makes it through the season, then he'll end up carrying it close to 800 times over two years, not to count passes and pass targets.

Jax is in a much more balanced and actually easier to run in system(you can never just play the run against the Rams like you can the Chiefs) than Johnson and now has that backup who will allow him to pound even harder in the fourth. I would not be surprised if Jax leads in total yards at year's end.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Johnson is going to break down soon he gets to many caries we brought Brian Leonard to cut down Jackson's caries he will be fresher during games and more explosive id take Jackson any day over + don't forget his o-line compared to ours pace will be back and if he stays healthy jackson will have record breaking numbers once again

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson and LJ are both great running backs but to be fair I think the biggest deciding factor will be the weak NFC defenses. (not that im taking anything away from Jackson.) Also I think most teams still see us as a pass first offense. I also want to add that I think our offensive line is "seriously" under rated this year. We have a LOT of really good young players and some very nice depth.

yellow and blue is offline Registered User

To be honest, I thought about it for 3 minutes the first time I read it on NFL. And not out of bias-ness, I took Jackson.

I really think these new offensive additions are going to totally let Jackson rip teams apart.

The Dykkenns59 is offline Registered User
    california n confusion 'Not neccassarily in that order'

Mr. Jackson should be one of the league leaders again if not THE leader in yards from scrimage, and yes we our under rated at the front line, also I agree we have a good group of newer guys that have been with us just a few years with experiened mixed in, to go with 'em, should be in the top 8-13 front lines this year if not better. If Baron plays like he should along with Pace and we get decent protection from the rest, Bulger will pick apart any 'D' fence. hehehe. Then there's the Chiefs who beat us up a few times in the Gov's Bowl not this year Jonhson doesn't have the supporting cast he used to and he's gett'n older Jackson will out run him ez this year.
    Last edited by The Dykkenns59; -07-11-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: got carried away 4got johson

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by yellow and blue View Post
    To be honest, I thought about it for 3 minutes the first time I read it on NFL. And not out of bias-ness, I took Jackson.

I really think these new offensive additions are going to totally let Jackson rip teams apart.
    I think the point is being missed in this thread? This Johnson vs Jackson is a fantasy value story. To be honest I would take Johnson based on Fantasy value only. Johnson will be the number 1 guy out of KC's backfield. He both runs and receives as a large part of their offense. That won't change coming into 2007. The Chiefs offensive options are alot less than our RAMS. The new offensive additions by the RAMS in my opinion lesson the fantasy value of Jackson. The ball is going to get spread around more than in 2006. I don't see Jackson having 90 receptions in 2007.

Just one mans opinion.

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Carl Peterson will get LJ into camp. The deal will get done. KC got rid of Green simply because they knew this would happen and Green had a huge chunk of money coming to him. MIA ate up that contract like the fools they are and now the Chiefs are sitting happy in cap space.

The passing game and the shaky KC Oline are the keys to this debate. Last season the Chiefs had a terrible Oline. Jordan Black, then starting LT, was the worst T in football. They have upgraded that position with Damion McIntosh from MIA. McIntosh gave up fewer sacks than Walter Jones last season. A fat retarded 4 yr old is an upgrade at LT over Jordan Black. Shields is gone, and it's hard to replace a HoF Olineman, such as the Chiefs experienced last season when Roaf called it quits. What people don't know is that John Welbourn is a great guard. It was his natural position and he played very very well in Philly at that position before coming to KC. KC traded for him because at the time Shields thought he was gonna hang them up, but then decided to play for a couple more seasons. Shields lost a step last season, and the KC faithful would tell you that. He gave up the most sacks last season since his rookie year. The Chiefs shouldnt lose a step here. At RT they upgraded from Turley, who was about this size of a big TE (playing at 280lbs) who consistently got mauled by DE's and got injured (again) and never played up to where he was in 2000 and 2001. KC released him this past offseason, but sources have said that he's back up to 300+ lbs (which can't be good for his glass-made back) and has been working out in KC. RT Chris Terry started the last couple games and played really well. He played better than any other scrub KC had in there, so in a sense, KC upgraded their Oline from last season which helped LJ rush over 1700 yds and score 19TD's. Last season the problem was that KC's Oline kept getting dinged up. It was so bad that Shields was even playing RT last season. Consistency and gelling together is key to a successful Oline. If KC Oline stays healthy, they should be in a better position than what they were last season.

Jackson should do better simply because he has more talent around him with a Pro Bowl QB to get them the ball to open up the running game etc. Having that said I do think Larry Johnson is gonna be even better than what he was last season.

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I think the point is being missed in this thread? This Johnson vs Jackson is a fantasy value story. To be honest I would take Johnson based on Fantasy value only. Johnson will be the number 1 guy out of KC's backfield. He both runs and receives as a large part of their offense. That won't change coming into 2007. The Chiefs offensive options are alot less than our RAMS. The new offensive additions by the RAMS in my opinion lesson the fantasy value of Jackson. The ball is going to get spread around more than in 2006. I don't see Jackson having 90 receptions in 2007.

Just one mans opinion.
    I dont view it that way. Having a dynamic passing game does nothing but open up the run. People on here should know that more than anyone, look at the 99 offense or the Chiefs offenses under Dick Vermeil. Look what Marshall Faulk and Priest Holmes have done for fantasy players. Just remarkable in my opinion. In similarity, STL and KC had both great Olines and passing games. That provided canyons for Holmes and Faulk to run through. Jackson should have a huge season due to the passing game.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Johnson doesn't catch nearly the same amount of passes. I think Jackson can equal his rushing yardage if he tried, although im not sure I want him having that many attempts.

Jackson is younger and ran behind a makeshift o-line last year.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'd favor Bud Light Guy. A balanced offense is much more likely to produce yards than an unbalanced one. Look to Atlanta, 1st is rushing, 32nd in passing. The Rams will have at least 1000 more offensive yards than the chiefs this year because Johnson will break this year. Look at Jamal Lewis, after his huge 2003, he has just fallen apart. Johnson won't last more than 10 games this year before getting hurt.