Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    RAMBLE_ON's Avatar
    RAMBLE_ON is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    53
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    0

    Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    If you look at their numbers it's a lot closer than you think.

    Alexander has 182 touches for 981 yards averaging 5.4 yards per touch and 22.7 touches a game.

    Jackson has 164 touches for 877 yards averaging 5.3 yards per touch and 20.5 touches a game.

    Imagine if Jackson had gotten a few more touches in the first four games. Even if you give him
    2.2 touches a game to equal Alexander his total yards go up to 970.

    Give the ball to Jackson!!!


  2. #2
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,555
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Imagine if SJ had SA's line in front of him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  3. #3
    psycho9985's Avatar
    psycho9985 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Visalia ca
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,657
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Imagine if SJ had SA's line in front of him.
    If this were the case...Jackson has Dickerson numbers.

    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

  4. #4
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMBLE_ON
    If you look at their numbers it's a lot closer than you think.

    Alexander has 182 touches for 981 yards averaging 5.4 yards per touch and 22.7 touches a game.

    Jackson has 164 touches for 877 yards averaging 5.3 yards per touch and 20.5 touches a game.

    Imagine if Jackson had gotten a few more touches in the first four games. Even if you give him
    2.2 touches a game to equal Alexander his total yards go up to 970.

    Give the ball to Jackson!!!
    The only problem is

    Alexander 14 Total TDs

    Jackson 8 Total TDs

    So before a hawk fan comes in with those stats no we arent saying Jackson is close to Alexander (YET)
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  5. #5
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,534
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    If our offensive line can play at the level of the hawks offensive line for any period of time, jackson will be comporable production wise.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  6. #6
    Haterade's Avatar
    Haterade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    neverland
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Comparing total yardage to rushing yardage [when Shaun only runs] is a little unfair. We don't pass to Shaun in our offense.

    Rushing Comparison

    Shaun - 175 attempts - 949 yards - 5.4 avg - 14 TD's
    Steve - 138 attempts - 659 yards - 4.8 avg - 6 TD's

    Receiving Comparison

    Shaun - 7 catches - 32 yards - 4.6 avg - 0 TD's
    Steve - 26 catches - 218 yards - 8.4 avg - 2 TD's
    ____________________________________________
    "Go for Broke" 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

  7. #7
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,534
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    i wonder why you dont throw to alexander more in the flat. i would want to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. what a weapon!

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  8. #8
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Haterade
    Comparing total yardage to rushing yardage [when Shaun only runs] is a little unfair. We don't pass to Shaun in our offense.

    Rushing Comparison

    Shaun - 175 attempts - 949 yards - 5.4 avg - 14 TD's
    Steve - 138 attempts - 659 yards - 4.8 avg - 6 TD's

    Receiving Comparison

    Shaun - 7 catches - 32 yards - 4.6 avg - 0 TD's
    Steve - 26 catches - 218 yards - 8.4 avg - 2 TD's
    There is nothing unfair about the comparison. The Hawks choose not to throw him the ball. If the Hawks did throw him the ball more you would want it in the comparison right? But because they don't, that doesn't make it an unfair comparison. The comparison made was total touches. A yard gained is a yard gained no matter how you got it. The only big difference between them is the total TDs.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -11-10-2005 at 03:25 PM.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  9. #9
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,555
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Comparing total yardage to rushing yardage [when Shaun only runs] is a little unfair. We don't pass to Shaun in our offense.
    No more unfair than comparing rushing yardage to total yardage since we DO pass to SJ in our offense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #10
    XxXdragonXxX's Avatar
    XxXdragonXxX is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    28
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Even with Jacksons 8.4 yard receiving average, Alexander still averages more yards per touch than Jackson.

  11. #11
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX
    Even with Jacksons 8.4 yard receiving average, Alexander still averages more yards per touch than Jackson.

    You are missing the point of the post, the original post is stating that it's closer than people think, which is true. We all know Alexander has better numbers, the point is that it's closer than you think.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  12. #12
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,555
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX
    Even with Jacksons 8.4 yard receiving average, Alexander still averages more yards per touch than Jackson.
    Yes, he does. SA is getting 0.1 yards per touch more than SJ. That is to say, about 4 inches more touch.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  13. #13
    XxXdragonXxX's Avatar
    XxXdragonXxX is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    28
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Yes, he does. SA is getting 0.1 yards per touch more than SJ. That is to say, about 4 inches more touch.
    Considering receivers average so much more yards per touch than running backs, that's still pretty impressive.

  14. #14
    Haterade's Avatar
    Haterade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    neverland
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    i wonder why you dont throw to alexander more in the flat. i would want to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. what a weapon!
    There are two thoughts on this.

    1 - Shaun can't catch out of the back-field [Some underlying ideas that he won't either]

    2 - It's not part of the game-plan

    I really don't know the real answer. The problem isn't that he isn't capable [at least the stats don't show that.] I think a lot of it has to do with his poor-pass protection skills. On passing-3rd downs, he previously won't be in the formation package and would not be an option to recieve out of the back-field.

    In his first 3 years are a starter, he averaged:
    48 catches - 366 yards - 7.6 YPC - 2 TD's.

    In 2004 he only had 23 catches for 170 yards, but 4 of them went for TD's.

    So far this year, he's been running pretty exclusively.

    The difference is that in our WCO, we don't use the dink/dunk pass as a hand-off like other teams have used. When we want Shaun to get the ball, we just hand it off.
    ____________________________________________
    "Go for Broke" 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

  15. #15
    XxXdragonXxX's Avatar
    XxXdragonXxX is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    28
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Steven Jackson vs. Shaun Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Haterade
    I think a lot of it has to do with his poor-pass protection skills. On passing-3rd downs, he previously won't be in the formation package and would not be an option to recieve out of the back-field.

    That was true last year, but this year Shaun is in every down becasue he's blocking so much better.

    We simply don't throw the ball to him anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •