Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Steven Jackson Wants us to Pick An OL with 2nd Pick.

Alright. That's why the draft to me is much worse than the IRS Code. There is just way too many variables for me to keep up with at the age of 44.

Glad you have that torch here Nick.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Their feelings about Wroten are largely inconsequential to this matter since he's a depth player. We're not going to replace a depth player with the second overall pick. We're looking for a starter, and right now, we seem to already have a starter at the position Dorsey would play.

I disagree, and here's why. What would happen if Long was gone and the best player on their board was, say, a quarterback? Do you make that pick even though you've got Bulger signed long term? Absolutely not, my point being that simply being the guy on the top of the board isn't an automatic ticket to being the selection. Dorsey may be the best player available at that spot, but if the Rams feel Carriker is their UT of the future, then there's no need to use back-to-back first rounders upgrading one position when so many other areas need addressed.
    Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The Rams spent a #3 on Wroten who arguably could have been a first rounder were he devoid of character issues. I don't believe for a minute that the Rams envisioned him remaining a backup.

Another issue is Glover, how much longer are we going to pay his salary? Who is going to take his place when he is released? But really. my point was that if the Rams view Dorsey as the next coming of Warren Sapp, they will take him. Our need at DE is greater than our need at DT, but if Long is gone, it isn't as if our interior line is made up of Pro Bowlers. Please note that I am not declaring Dorsey a can't miss player as I certainly don't have the resources available to make that type of evaluation. Purportedly the Rams do, and if they see Dorsey as a special player (ala Sapp) then they would do well to take him. Whoever we take if we stay at #2, will be under the microscope big time, and will render the braintrust that pulled the trigger on the choice either heroes or goats ...

Quote by Jim Thomas from yesterday's live chat:

Jim Thomas: I don't think you can judge a player by one game. But there are those in the Rams organization who (at least right now) think Dorsey is the best player in the draft. So it's certainly not out of the question to think that the Rams could take him at No. 2.
    STLtoday - Discussions - Jim Thomas Live

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by MauiRam; -02-01-2008 at 04:17 PM.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

lets say we do pick Chris Long. who would he start over. Surely not Leonard Little. But James Hall?? who knows. I am not that Comfortable Drafting A DE With The #2 Pick to Sit on the Bench, So that Means James Hall Or Leonard Little Will Have To Sit. I guess this Could Be The Situation Where Long Sits Behind Leonard Like Leonard Sat Behind.. I think Kevin Carter during the 99-00 season and leonard came out in 2001 to have 13.5 sacks. if thats the case, then i guess it would be ok to draft him and let him learn behind one of the Best.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

who would he start over. Surely not Leonard Little. But James Hall??
    Why not Little? Who says he can come all the way back at 34? And what exactly has James Hall done to ensure his starting position? And when did 2 become the limit for quality DEs?

Not to mention, if you fear Chris Long will not contribute immediately, name for me another draft pick who will.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PHAT-MONEY Guest

OK. glenn Dorsey.. Lar'oi Glover is not the 17 sack man that he once was, we could use glenn, we have Clifton, But Glenn was nothing short of dominate at LSU his Senior year.. we he didint play, lsu dropped to 10 in D when He Played, they Were #1. and I said he could start over james hall. I think Chris Long would actually, but not immediately. Plus If we were to Trade down, Kenny Phillips would make an immediate Impact at SS. plus i don't think it would be good for un unproven rookie to replace one of the Best DE in the Game. thats my opinion... i respect yours.. we both want the same thing from the rams. thats all that matters... Right

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The Rams spent a #3 on Wroten who arguably could have been a first rounder were he devoid of character issues. I don't believe for a minute that the Rams envisioned him remaining a backup.
    But the reality of the situation is he is a back-up, and you're not going to spend a second round pick replacing a back-up player.

Another issue is Glover, how much longer are we going to pay his salary?
    Fair question.

Who is going to take his place when he is released?
    You could make the argument that Carriker will take Glover's place as the starting UT, with Ryan starting at NT.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Nick .. I think Av stated quite succinctly (in another thread) the only scenario where taking Dorsey at #2 overall would make sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The only way Dorsey makes sense is if you think he's such a special talent that you have to take him notwithstanding the fact that he's clearly not the top "need" position.

Yes Wroten is a backup because he is clearly an underacheiver. When he was drafted the Rams envisioned him taking over for Glover (as in being a starter) after a year of seasoning. That year was affordable as he was only a #3.

If the Rams draft Dorsey, he'll get thrown into the fire just like Adam C. was. Again please realize I am saying that only if the Rams view him as head and shoulders above everyone else as Av put forth.That being the case, we would not be replacing a backup with another "backup" we would be drafting a starter. If Dorsey turns out to be the real deal, I am sure the coaching staff would find a way to plug him in immediately. Either Wroten or Glover or both could find themselves out of work.

The opportunity to add the type of DT that only comes down the pipe once or twice every decade is an opportunity not to be missed. Particularly when we are not exactly stacked with Pro Bowl DTs at this point.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)